Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 04-02-2019, 11:14 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 676 Times in 323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney View Post
Whats the diff with a bullseye basket next to a cliff and a standard basket next to a cliff? Not much imo
The difference is that players will run the putt on the standard basket next to the cliff and will layup on the bullseye or marksman basket. It's too likely that they will either miss entirely or hit lots of metal and then roll off the cliff. This is exactly the kind of scenario that encourages and rewards conservative play.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2019, 11:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 75
Niced 328 Times in 191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorseymatt View Post
One of them is poor at catching good putts and much smaller, meaning you are absolutely going to lay up unless you're inside 15 feet, probably. The other tends to catch good putts and makes you consider the risk vs. the reward. So I'd say that's the difference.
With o.b. next to any basket it presents the same risk and reward.

With a wide open basket everyone will "go for it" but only good putts will stick.

***Idk if the marksman or bullseye baskets are great catchers. I just use them as an example as the size of the basket i would prefer to see.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:16 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 13
Niced 496 Times in 178 Posts

Quote:
Hey, its the internet, pick away friend.

Financially viable to who? Disc golf isnt making any land owners money consistently. Its making pros and manufacturers more money as it grows.
Financially viable for cities, counties, designers, players. There are more top level courses available today than five years ago. Plenty more are going in the ground every year, and designers are getting better and better, and they have an opportunity to design courses that are relevant and challenging for current top players and disc technology.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:17 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
With o.b. next to any basket it presents the same risk and reward.

With a wide open basket everyone will "go for it" but only good putts will stick.

***Idk if the marksman or bullseye baskets are great catchers. I just use them as an example as the size of the basket i would prefer to see.
If you get the chance, putt on one for a while. They are far from great catchers. They're a training tool--and even that aspect is debatable for its value, as it can negatively impact putting confidence.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:17 AM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 26.9
Courses Played: 142
Niced 1,052 Times in 456 Posts

What I find interesting in this discussion is the top pros are overwhelmingly against it it seems.

Make it harder to putt increases their chances of beating players with less skills than them. I don't understand why they wouldn't be in favor of it.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:20 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
What I find interesting in this discussion is the top pros are overwhelmingly against it it seems.

Make it harder to putt increases their chances of beating players with less skills than them. I don't understand why they wouldn't be in favor of it.
Again, this is actually not true. Making the basket larger would benefit the good putters even more, as it would accentuate the skill difference, rather than downplay it. They would make putts from longer and longer distances that lesser players simply could not pull off.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-02-2019, 11:21 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 30
Niced 676 Times in 323 Posts

Quote:

Marksmans are terrible catchers. You are rewarded for just sneaking it over the rim more than anything else. I would be more okay with the small target if they caught better. The current ones do not.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.9
Courses Played: 100
Niced 557 Times in 214 Posts

Quote:
If you get the chance, putt on one for a while. They are far from great catchers. They're a training tool--and even that aspect is debatable for its value, as it can negatively impact putting confidence.
For me and others I've spoke with, it changes HOW we putt in order to get the discs to stay in. So the training aspect is definitely debatable.

Also the basket diameter is smaller.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.3
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,974 Times in 1,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
LOL who is being hysterical?
My point being that every time this topic comes up, it gets drowned out by the cost argument and the rec players argument and dismissed as unfeasible even though no one is advocating that the standard target be shrunk. Every time I've seen this topic broached, it's in the context of making the game more challenging to the elite players, yet it is always "what about the rec players" and "what about the cost of changing all those baskets".

Maybe hysteria was the wrong word. But there's certainly a fervor behind the words.

Niced: (1)

Old 04-02-2019, 11:28 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 171
Niced 190 Times in 87 Posts

Quote:
Making this game a putting contest on crappy baskets does not seem like a future I want to get behind.
I agree. It's fun to have an alternative for indoor competition when days are short and weather's bad, but I don't want disc golf turned into putting league.

I'd much rather have courses become more difficult due to smart design features like par 4/5 holes, placement requirements to access the green, natural OB/bunker/hazard, etc.

Like others have said, there is no real reason that disc golf numbers have to be like ball golf numbers. Who cares if they are -40 instead of -4, its about scoring separation. As long as there are not players tying for first at every tournament, it's working fine.