Old 07-26-2019, 12:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,202 Times in 1,946 Posts

No, horsestance requires both feet/hips turned out beyond neutral joint alignment.

Your butt is not turning with your xstep, watch McBeth lead with his butt facing target/hershyzer. Thats why you feel tension instead of gliding. Tension in backswing is not good, should be free wheeling.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2019, 02:26 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 74 Times in 63 Posts

Gotcha. My old muscle memory keeps forgetting to lead with butt from behind. Ill keep at it. Thanks SW
Old 07-26-2019, 02:34 PM
Birdie Member

I’ve been teaching my buddy some of the things you Guys have taught me, hes a great ball golfer and picked it up really quickly, I’m pretty sure he has better form than me! Hi jacking my own thread here but anything he could improve on?

https://youtu.be/F0tru9Z4V1E
Old 07-26-2019, 04:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Not too shabby! X-step is too long and is striding front foot externally and planting into too staggered stance and ends up slightly hugging himself with chin/ear burying into the shoulder and the swing going around the front leg rather than straighter forward over the front leg. Front foot needs to stride more inside across the rear foot and create internal torque(crush like Lizotte/kick the can).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW-vWZgnNSk&t=2m30s

Old 07-26-2019, 09:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parbequeue View Post
Gotcha. My old muscle memory keeps forgetting to lead with butt from behind. Ill keep at it. Thanks SW

Niced: (2)
Old 08-05-2019, 10:55 PM
Birdie Member

Hey guys. Been a long time since I’ve done a field session let alone play, so surprise surprise all of my old bad habits are right there unchanged. Kind of annoying really. I’m starting to not enjoy playing as I’m getting worse not better and used to be better.

I messed around with leading with the be-hind but it kept throwing me over the top, no matter how hard I tried I couldn’t shift my spine before swinging. Strong arming, collapsing arm etc etc the works

https://youtu.be/871W1eDn4Uk

I don’t think I’m
Turning my hips/butt back enough.

I messed around with the throw heavy / elevator idea and this is what my swing looks like when I try that;

https://youtu.be/871W1eDn4Uk

Hopefully September is better as I’m working every weekend in August no time to get out.,

On a serious note SW/SP/HUB; I know HUB does lessons, but would any of you guys be receptive to me flying out to you? I feel like it would be more time efficient, and I’d be more than happy to pay for the coaching. Would be cool to do drills in person and live correct mistakes. Thanks again!
Old 08-06-2019, 02:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Those are the same 2 vids. I don't see an over the top move there, the finish looks decent. You are hugging yourself/rounding and look scared to let your arm/disc swing taut and wide from your shoulder like ball on string - one arm olympic hammer throw drill - I'd really like to see you do that more than anything else.

Your x-step is totally flat footed with both feet on the ground and leaning back not in athletic balance/posture so your arm disc is not leveraged forward and your body is in the way of the swing. You stop your momentum on your x-step instead of gliding everything forward. Note how Feldy starts in a much more aggressive and athletic forward tilted posture/balance(shotgun stance) and his shoulder is leveraged forward over the knee before swinging the arm/disc forward. Note as the feet cross note how Feldy's swing is pulling his whole body forward off the rear foot and arm/disc is pulled taut. Last pic Feldy has been pulled totally airborne and upright/extended and is free to pivot his body unattached to the ground, while you have both your feet stuck in the ground collapsing your posture and restricting your body from turning.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-08-06 at 1.54.00 AM.jpg (97.7 KB, 61 views)
Old 08-06-2019, 11:35 AM
Birdie Member

Twinkle toes! Gotta get more athletic. I totally forget about my spine angle front to back (tilt) and get fixated on the upright (over the top). But I felt like in the videos it looked like my spine hadnt shifted properly. Then again I could be interpreting wrong for sure.

I do feel that leverage when leading with butt more. I just dont understand how to not strong arm when my weight shifts. Perhaps I gotta just not use my arm at all throughout the entire throw.

Ill get a one arm hammer video for you!
Old 08-06-2019, 11:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,605 Times in 1,650 Posts

Yeah get more of a hop so that you can stay over/in front of the left foot during the behind step. The more you trust that, I bet you'll naturally start leaning forward as you start the X-step. It looks to me like you have to wait to use the left foot because your mass is behind it, and then as you are doing that you are really squatting and leaning into that left hip. I think this squatting load feeling is why you end up with that extended torso push/forward turn going on instead of a quicker turned back hip/butt drop to the plant that can then be cleared with your body a bit more upright.

I'm happy to help people out in person with advice and it's definitely way faster than the internet review process, but until I personally have high level form there's no way I'd feel comfortable with someone travelling to see me.

Old 08-06-2019, 09:27 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 288 Times in 219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parbequeue View Post
Twinkle toes! Gotta get more athletic. I totally forget about my spine angle front to back (tilt) and get fixated on the upright (over the top). But I felt like in the videos it looked like my spine hadn’t shifted properly. Then again I could be interpreting wrong for sure.

I do feel that leverage when leading with butt more. I just don’t understand how to not strong arm when my weight shifts. Perhaps I gotta just not use my arm at all throughout the entire throw.

I’ll get a one arm hammer video for you!
A good thing to look for on the weight shift is the rear foot should be weightless (could still be touching) before the front heel (or midfoot if you are cool like McBreezy) plants. Both of your feet are on the ground at the same time. Your weight doesn't shift until its completely supported by the front side.