Old 08-08-2019, 04:08 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 73 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Think about when you putt. You probably think about that hand feel when the disc pops out of your hand, you give it that finger spring so that it comes out a bit faster than your arm is moving. You're obviously concentrating on an aim point, but also likely just thinking about that pop. In your downswing for a putt the disc might come a bit off line or something, but it always gets back to that pop in time and with an extended arm.

I started feeling a similar hit point to when I putt, and turned that into a throw-approach style putt, then into a throw just adding a little more turn bit by bit. The hit is really far away/forward from my body like in a putt, and feeling that same leverage/pop but with a real backswing.

SP, You assume I can putt. Thanks for the vote of confidence 😂
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 08-08-2019, 04:57 PM
Birdie Member

When you say adding turn, are you talking about turn as in your backswing/forward swing? I will mess around with this feeling. Going to play an actual round tonight for the first time in a while, get me some toe drivin’ action
Old 08-08-2019, 05:03 PM
Birdie Member

https://youtu.be/lKN39ffhYMc

Here’s the GF swing, not bad for 0 ****s given!
Old 08-08-2019, 07:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,199 Times in 1,944 Posts

GF needs to keep hand on outside edge instead of dragging front edge, and get off rear foot faster. Should feel the rear foot leaving the ground before swinging forward.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNiXit_8M9g

Drives me crazy when the feet separate way ahead of the knees and rear knee is locked out - need to squat a little landing from hop so you can maintain balance and leverage forward. Your front leg should hang from the hip and foot should glide right over the ground when balanced properly. You appear to be leaning back behind your heel, your shoulders aren't pendulum'ing, and you are picking your front foot up off the ground. You need to get balanced forward over your toes/knees so your shoulder can drop/hang and swing straight back under your head/chin. Top of your head should be closer to the left teepad side than your shoulder, so everything pivots and pendulums underneath the head/chin. Pretty sure your head is closer to the right teepad side from your shoulder at the top of the backswing, so your shoulder is going around horizontally rather than straighter back and forth vertically. Easier to see from behind tee.

Note how my feet/hips are setup neutral to the pelvis and almost identical to Feldy above^ in this drill. This is because I'm not making a stride forward and turning back very far in this drill or putting a lot of momentum on it. Feldburg continues stride and turning back from that point into plant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 6.43.25 PM.jpg (67.7 KB, 70 views)
Old 08-08-2019, 07:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,605 Times in 1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parbequeue View Post
When you say adding turn, are you talking about turn as in your backswing/forward swing? I will mess around with this feeling. Going to play an actual round tonight for the first time in a while, get me some toe drivin’ action
Yeah turning back your body in the backswing, then getting back to that same hit/release point that you are imagining or feeling for.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:48 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 288 Times in 219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Think about when you putt. You probably think about that hand feel when the disc pops out of your hand, you give it that finger spring so that it comes out a bit faster than your arm is moving. You're obviously concentrating on an aim point, but also likely just thinking about that pop. In your downswing for a putt the disc might come a bit off line or something, but it always gets back to that pop in time and with an extended arm.

I started feeling a similar hit point to when I putt, and turned that into a throw-approach style putt, then into a throw just adding a little more turn bit by bit. The hit is really far away/forward from my body like in a putt, and feeling that same leverage/pop but with a real backswing.
Reminds me of GG with his dainty little follow through with hand up in the air or like Kevin Jones with the 2 fingers up or whatever he does. It *looks* like they are consciously letting go but of course they aren't.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:17 AM
Birdie Member

SW thanks for the feedback. I believe the separation between the knees is because I’m so eager to get my weight shifted to the front side (and crush the can) that I get ahead of myself and actively send my leg forward. I will have to focus on letting the leg hang and catching myself on it.

As for the posture; yep it’s terrible. I get so hunched over when I try to drop my shoulder. These things are going to take some time, but one at a time! Even after 2 years I struggle to get to 300 feet. It’s frustrating and sucks the life out the game somedays.

As for the lady, she’s not super into getting in depth with the form, but sometimes comes out to the field and gets some easy gains with some of the things you guys show me.

Last edited by Parbequeue; 08-09-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:27 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 288 Times in 219 Posts

If you want to take a break from working on the core of the throw (weight shift/balance), there's a couple of things you could do to squeeze out more distance with your current form, possibly.

Squeeze the living crap out of the disc at release. I find myself forgetting to really clamp down at the end and when I consciously do so it adds a good amount of distance. I have small hands and pretty weak grip relative to the rest of my body so I personally have to really focus on it. One caveat is that gripping too hard too early can really jack up the "whip" motion of the arm. Tight grip, loose arm.

Another is fixing that rounding. Feels weird to let the disc go wide -> close -> wide when you are used to close -> -> wide as is the case in a rounding throw. And as SW22 has said, the best way to get the feel is to exaggerate the motion and go really wide: ala Barry Schultz, Nate Doss, and all the "wide rail" throwers. You're going to be yanking them to the right most likely but then try to adjust to get it to go straight.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:16 AM
Birdie Member

Thanks for the tips UN. I try to keep things looose grip until as late as possible. I’ll give the extra wide rail a go at the weekend! I’m determined to get this all figured out and throw with good form to allow me to play for as long as possible.

Old 08-12-2019, 11:28 AM
Birdie Member

So I gave just trying to let my leg hang from my hip. This is the result. Does being more forward over toes allow the leg to hang easier? I just don’t feel any shift when I try this. It’s like I’m crashing down ontop if my leg rather than shifting onto it.

https://youtu.be/JIIGLUfEej0