Old 06-23-2019, 01:30 PM

Niced 84 Times in 23 Posts
Default Ricky VS Paul Destroyer

I did some analysis on the different destroyers and how they fly. Interested in your feedback on if I missed anything or if I'm way off based on your experience. Let me know.

Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 06-23-2019, 11:38 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 39
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 138 Times in 80 Posts

Same disc, same mold.......Wings vary so much that some are flippy and some are stable regardless of who's name is on the disc. Plastic may be a bit different but I really am not sure. The Ricky one's seem a bit softer. I refer to them as the box of chocolates disc, you never know what you're going to get.

I went back to the old Pro Plastic, better disc IMO. The new Pro Plastic discs have issues with the domes being flat as a board on some and a giant wort on others. They are all over the place as well on the stability chart. Apparently quality control is optional over at Innova these days.

Old 12-18-2019, 04:20 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

This disc looks really cool and would be awesome to have.
Old 12-18-2019, 02:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,148 Times in 665 Posts

I tend to agree, unless you pick em out straight from the plant, no 2 will be the same.
Old 12-18-2019, 03:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,297 Times in 609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
I tend to agree, unless you pick em out straight from the plant, no 2 will be the same.

Is this meant to be hyperbole?

Generally speaking, Destroyers are consistent in each run and weight.

With that said, different runs can vary wildly.

Niced: (2)
Old 12-18-2019, 06:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 788 Times in 614 Posts

I got my first Ricky Destroyer recently. I haven't thrown it yet, but I can tell its different than the McBeth ones. Its a stiffer plastic blend, has a flatter (non convave) wing, and has way more dome than the McBeth Destroyer. Just looking at this Ricky Destroyer I have a feeling it'll be flippier than any McBeth model.

I'm a little hit or miss on McBeth star Destroyers. Most of them I find to be somewhat gummy, flat, glideless, and overstable. They're among the shortest Destroyers I've thrown. If I were going to bag a Destroyer for big distance I'd definitely choose something other than a McBeth Destroyer. Anything Avery Jenkins or older.

Once I throw the Ricky Destroyer some this weekend I'll do a more detailed write up in the Destroyer thread.

These are NOT the same disc. I'm convinced Innova tweaked the mold or something. They don't look or feel similar in the hand.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.9
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,134 Times in 691 Posts

They are different. I bag both for different flights.
Old 12-19-2019, 06:28 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 109 Times in 68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I got my first Ricky Destroyer recently. I haven't thrown it yet, but I can tell its different than the McBeth ones. Its a stiffer plastic blend, has a flatter (non convave) wing, and has way more dome than the McBeth Destroyer. Just looking at this Ricky Destroyer I have a feeling it'll be flippier than any McBeth model.

I'm a little hit or miss on McBeth star Destroyers. Most of them I find to be somewhat gummy, flat, glideless, and overstable. They're among the shortest Destroyers I've thrown. If I were going to bag a Destroyer for big distance I'd definitely choose something other than a McBeth Destroyer. Anything Avery Jenkins or older.

Once I throw the Ricky Destroyer some this weekend I'll do a more detailed write up in the Destroyer thread.

These are NOT the same disc. I'm convinced Innova tweaked the mold or something. They don't look or feel similar in the hand.
Some of the Ricky Destroyers have the old tooling some have the made in U.S.A. tooling.
Old 12-19-2019, 02:48 PM

Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

Just something I have noticed and from working in an injection molding plant. Getting ones that are as close to the same color as possible generally means they weren’t produced very far apart time wise. Likely same day or even within a couple minutes. Generally get more consistent results than buying one made in July and another made in December. Buying the same mold in different colors generally means they were made hours if not days or months apart. The weather can change a lot between 8 am and noon.

Niced: (1)

Old 12-19-2019, 03:19 PM

Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechamp View Post
Some of the Ricky Destroyers have the old tooling some have the made in U.S.A. tooling.
This is something I find interesting as well. I have both Wraiths and Destroyers that don’t have the made in USA in them. It’s real obvious they use the same mold piece though. You can see the same grind marking pattern from where the patent numbers were. Is the presence or lack of the USA tooling a guarantee the whole mold actually changed? Or is the part insignificant to the actual disc? I mean they are using the same mold piece for different Discs is what it appears like?