Old 01-02-2020, 06:36 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 30 Times in 14 Posts
Default Grip Question - Thumb Forward vs Finger Forward

So Im trying to understand where your thumb is supposed to be and I think a big part of it is where you put your index finger. I tend to move my index finger forward which is kind of like the placement of the index finger on your right hand for a right handed golf grip where there is a space between the index and middle finger. This puts the joint at the base of distal phalanx in my thumb over the tip of my index finger. This is the pressure point where most of my index finger pressure is going toward the rim with some toward the plate, and the thumb pushing down on the plate like you are taking a thumb print.

Looking at pics of how to grip with the thumb forward concept, it appears to me it is more like the left hand in a right handed golf grip where there is no gap between index and middle finger. I think thumb forward disc grip is more thumb forward than the left hand on a golf grip. Here it looks like the joint at the base of the distal phalanx is forward of the tip f the index finger and slightly closer to disc center, so that the joint there is pushing down creating a depression forward and more centerward relative to where the index finger tip touches the plate.

Trying my interpretation of a thumb forward grip makes it feel more like Im gripping the whole side of the disc rather than just the rip point.

1) Is there supposed to be space between index and middle finger? Is the middle finger forward like the right hand in a right handed golf grip?

2) Shoudl you be pinching your disc between the base of the distal phalanx and index finger tip? Where should index finger pressure be applied? Toward the rim or plate? I currently have it about 60/40 favoring the rim. When I try a thumb forward grip this ration feels more 80/20.

3) Should the thenar eminence be touching the disc? I read somewhere it creates drag but also see people doing it. In my current grip I dont have this touching the plate. If I let it touch with a thumb forward grip you can really move your thumb forward far.

4) From a hand muscle standpoint, should it feel like you are putting more of the effort into pushing the thumb down? the thumb forward placement relative to my current grip makes if feel like much more pressure needs to be applied by the thumb.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2020, 06:47 PM
Bogey Member

Too late to edit but wanted to add that I feel like my current finger forward grip is a fork grip version of the Robbie Bratten grip. I dont think you can have a thumb forward placement with that grip. If you start with the Bratten grip and just add the other fingers without changing your thumb and index, I feel like you have my grip. But maybe his thumb is more toward the plate center and I just cant see it. I also make a snapping sound when I throw which impresses some people I play with but Ive read that isnt necessarily a good thing.

Last edited by Tinkles; 01-02-2020 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:53 PM
Bogey Member

I also feel like MJ has a more index finger forward grip in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO5z...ature=emb_logo

Last edited by Tinkles; 01-02-2020 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,230 Times in 1,970 Posts

I use MJ's fan grip.

1. I prefer more space between index/middle fingers or spreading leverage across the rim.

2. I feel like the index finger print is pressuring diagonally into where rim meets flight plate.

3. The meat of the thumb base will touch the flight plate, but is not really a pressure point for me on long drives. On shorter shots I will put more pressure into the heel of the palm and loosen the index.

4. Definitely more thumb muscle trapping down on top disc, rather than fingers squeezing disc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpyaFqgyZbU#t=4m30s

Niced: (1)
Old 01-17-2020, 10:51 AM
Bogey Member

Question wrist position relative to the disc - I guess really relative to your humerus. If I do the door frame drill but with a counter top, my hand/wrist/forearm angle isn't perpendicular to the ground. It is closer to 45 degrees with my hand facing a little toward the ground rather than the counter top. If I really want to pull on that counter top, this is the natural position my wrist takes to exert power on the counter top. If I let go of the counter, my wrist/hand hinge would not be perpendicular to the ground if that makes sense.

This is not how I grip the disc though. When I grip the disc, I have my wrist in a position so that the hinging motion is aligned with the plane of the throw so to speak. If I try to do it the other way (counter top example) I notice that I finish the throw more palm down which I believe is correct.

But what is correct with regard here. Should my hand be slightly rolled over like it is if i'm trying to pull a counter top or more perpendicular to the ground assuming the counter is the plane of the throw?
Old 01-17-2020, 12:05 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 19
Niced 113 Times in 60 Posts

Interesting discussion, pictures would be helpful
Old 01-17-2020, 03:24 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 290 Times in 221 Posts

At peak reachback there is a bit of variety between pros. It honestly doesn't matter at that point in the throw. Some will do the "suitcase" grip angle (Eagle and GG come to mind) with the outside wing of the disc facing the ground almost until it crosses the chest. Some do it the other way too (disc edge facing upward) like Avery Jenkins. Some keep the disc basically on the same plane (simplification; don't murder me for this SW22).

I think maybe you are misinterpreting the point of the door frame drill. You just need to hold on to something, it kind of doesn't matter how. It's more about getting your body in the right position.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:27 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 290 Times in 221 Posts

Relevant clinic:

Old 01-22-2020, 11:29 AM
Bogey Member

So I changed my grip to be more standard I think. What I was doing is similar to what Uli does only I would take my grip and then adjust slightly so the back of the disc went below the crease in my hand while still staying under my first knuckle. This relieved some tension in my fingers and reduced the thumb pressure on the disc, and felt good as I would really be holding the disc with the thumb and index finger. If you try this, you'll feel it. You end up holding it mostly with a pinch of your thumbprint directly over your index on the flight plate. It feels like you have good control there and have nice range of motion in your wrist, but I think its wrong.

I make a large snap sound which people think sounds great but I think its slipping out like Feldberg talks about in one of his clinics. I think you end up pulling the disc with your index finger and don't have much thumb pressure or thumb push and end up snapping your index finger hard as it slips out.

So I went back to keeping it in the crease and that automatically changes my thumb position to be closer to the center of flight plate and makes it so my thumb is naturally applying more pressure to the flight plate and seems like it makes it less likely that the disc could come out nose up. It feels less natural to me but I think its correct and I just need reps to make it feel better. This adjustment also "feels" like your palm is a little more face down to the ground and that the wrist is more stable. It also is more aligned with when you see pros practicing a pull through with a closed fist, palm to the ground rather than palm perpendicular to the ground.