Old 01-20-2020, 03:25 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to focbl1111 Send a message via MSN to focbl1111
Default Help with distance

So i;m a complete newbee, been to my local course twice and played holes not by the water. i got the starter kit from Innova, i got a chance to throw all 4 discs and my problem is the putter goes the furthest, i have the Innova destroyer and the leopard. What Gives
Thanks David
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2020, 03:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 924 Times in 439 Posts

Check the sticky at the top of the Technique forum. It will go over a lot of things that will help you, including grip and form advice.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-20-2020, 05:02 PM
Par Member

Niced 119 Times in 61 Posts

Best to start throwing putters and mids, and move onto faster discs once you've got those down. Without proper form, you'll just get frustrated trying to throw discs that you don't have the arm speed for. The first flight rating number will tell you the speed of the disc (example, your Destroyer is a speed 12), then you have glide, turn, and fade numbers. The disc will only fly the way it's ratings show, as long as the disc is up to speed.

As suggested above, have a look at the technique forum, or check out some tutorials on Youtube. There's a ton of great videos on form.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:44 PM

Courses Played: 4
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

It is a little confounding at first, but as I quickly found out it doesn't always work the way you think it should. In theory (and in actuality) the putter should not be able fly as far as the distance driver if thrown properly. The distance driver has a "sharper" edge and is more streamlined to cut through the air while the putter is more blunt on the edge. However the biggest problem in the beginning is the throwing form, speed, and technique. Without that, the discs all travel a similar distance because they are not thrown in a way to take advantage of the aerodynamic properties of the disc. Once somebody gets all of that down (which isn't easy) and they can generate the arm speed and good form, nose down on disc, etc, to allow the distance driver to fly like it is capable of flying, then yes the driver will go much much farther than your putter. It is just a matter of being able to generate enough velocity with the correct disc orientation and form to let the disc do it's thing!
Old 01-20-2020, 07:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.9
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,150 Times in 696 Posts

When did they add the Destroyer to the starter set?
Old 01-20-2020, 08:08 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 140 Times in 92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
When did they add the Destroyer to the starter set?

Right?

The first time I ever played one of the discs I was loaned was a Destroyer. Not sure if they were messing with me or just didn’t know any better but there I was throwing 70 foot hyzers and having a blast.

Wasn’t the starter set some sort of putter, a Teebird and a Leopard?
Old 01-20-2020, 08:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.9
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,150 Times in 696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
Right?

The first time I ever played one of the discs I was loaned was a Destroyer. Not sure if they were messing with me or just didn’t know any better but there I was throwing 70 foot hyzers and having a blast.

Wasn’t the starter set some sort of putter, a Teebird and a Leopard?
Aviar, Shark and Leopard in DX.

Aviar, Panther and Valkyrie in Champion.

Aviar, TL and Beast in DX glow.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:57 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 0.6
Courses Played: 12
Niced 114 Times in 56 Posts

The psychological pressure of throwing far is the first thing that gets into the head of nearly every new player. The trick is to know that distance will improve (and it will). I went from throwing 170 max on my first day to over 300 max after about three months, and I'm definitely nothing special. The sooner you can worry about technique and not distance, the sooner you'll surprise yourself.

That Leopard will be your buddy soon, but if you have a Shark, that should be your buddy now.

The Destroyer won't do much for you. Maybe try to roll it to get out of the woods, or use it for when you're behind something and have to throw a severe short hyzer.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,165 Times in 673 Posts

Go to a local soccer field, football field, and just start throwing your putter. Track the distance progress over time. Your first goal should be 100ft, then 150, 200, 250+. Learn to throw level, straight early on before throwing mids, drivers.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:34 AM

Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
Aviar, Shark and Leopard in DX.

Aviar, Panther and Valkyrie in Champion.

Aviar, TL and Beast in DX glow.
There is also an expanded DX set

Aviar, Roc3, Leopard, Teebird, Destroyer in DX. Currently $39 on Amazon