* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,397 Times in 538 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Crippler View Post
His 2.19 million Youtube subscribers might have something to do with it. Even if he completely sucks he'll still be a draw. How many will follow him to dg? Time will tell but it could be a huge number.
If him sucking becomes true where would anyone be able to see him?
Not in golf tournaments which I thought was the whole point of him growing the sport.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2020, 09:01 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 13
Niced 496 Times in 178 Posts

Obviously he’s not yet where he will need to be to compete at an elite level, but there are a couple interesting things in these videos I noticed. One thing that really stood out how coachable and aware of mechanics Brodie is. McBeth tells him to adjust his angle of release by manipulating his core, and he does exactly that. Have you ever tried to get someone to this? I have. People struggle with it when they’re not used to it, and Brodie is used to manipulating the disc in his hand as opposed to changing his core/posture. I thought his ability to adjust his mechanics on the fly with seemingly no problem was impressive and a sign that he will be able to dial his form in much more quickly than a lot of people would believe.
The other thing I noticed — dude put a few high speed drivers on a rope through or very near a soccer goal over 200 feet away. How many sub-1000-rated players can do that consistently while putting around 400 feet of power or more on the disc? I will tell you I’m a 970-rated player with that level of power, and I would have only done better than that on a good day, using discs I’m familiar with.

Old 02-01-2020, 10:12 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 50.3
Courses Played: 52
Niced 653 Times in 278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
Not in golf tournaments which I thought was the whole point of him growing the sport.
Discraft will make sure he is seen. I can picture them drooling and slobbering all over those 2.2 million subscribers as potential customers. And of course there are enough Brodie haters who would love to watch him fail should that be the case, so either way he'll draw an audience. I'll bet that every card he plays on will have a cameraman in the gallery, and videos will be available.

Niced: (2)
Old 02-01-2020, 10:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Crippler View Post
Discraft will make sure he is seen. I can picture them drooling and slobbering all over those 2.2 million subscribers as potential customers. And of course there are enough Brodie haters who would love to watch him fail should that be the case, so either way he'll draw an audience. I'll bet that every card he plays on will have a cameraman in the gallery, and videos will be available.
So people want to see him because he's Brodie and not because of what he does?
I thought his attraction was his throwing, if he sucks at that you're saying people still want to see him?

I didn't realize that.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 89
Niced 58 Times in 34 Posts

Has Brodie broken 300 yet?
Old 02-01-2020, 10:22 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.8
Courses Played: 62
Niced 335 Times in 187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
I'm sure he'll have someone filming him, and it will get posted to his YouTube channel.

If he does suck, more people will see that than the coverage the lead card gets.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanA View Post
I'm sure he'll have someone filming him, and it will get posted to his YouTube channel.

If he does suck, more people will see that than the coverage the lead card gets.
If that becomes true it will happen once....once!
Old 02-01-2020, 10:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,803 Times in 1,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wims View Post
Thats how youtube works. Nobody gets views equal to their subscriber count

That might be tru, but i still think 5% is low
Jomez has 171k subs. . . and their latest videos around 60-90k views , around 30-50% of their subs
Old 02-01-2020, 10:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 53
Niced 4,878 Times in 2,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenb View Post
Has Brodie broken 300 yet?
There's a video in this thread of him throwing 495

Niced: (1)

Old 02-01-2020, 11:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 194
Niced 738 Times in 480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorseymatt View Post
Obviously he’s not yet where he will need to be to compete at an elite level, but there are a couple interesting things in these videos I noticed. One thing that really stood out how coachable and aware of mechanics Brodie is. McBeth tells him to adjust his angle of release by manipulating his core, and he does exactly that. Have you ever tried to get someone to this? I have. People struggle with it when they’re not used to it, and Brodie is used to manipulating the disc in his hand as opposed to changing his core/posture. I thought his ability to adjust his mechanics on the fly with seemingly no problem was impressive and a sign that he will be able to dial his form in much more quickly than a lot of people would believe.
The other thing I noticed — dude put a few high speed drivers on a rope through or very near a soccer goal over 200 feet away. How many sub-1000-rated players can do that consistently while putting around 400 feet of power or more on the disc? I will tell you I’m a 970-rated player with that level of power, and I would have only done better than that on a good day, using discs I’m familiar with.
Good points. I think coachability is important, and the other thing is a simple love for disc flight. I don't think it's contrived. He likes using different discs and releases etc. to get very different flights. If you folks are anything like me, that simple fact, or appreciation for disc flight, is the main thing that keeps me coming back to this game.

Now whether Brodie is motivated to work hard to achieve greatness is another thing, but can anyone deny the potential?

One thing I noticed from these two videos (drivers and mids) is that Paul comes across quite well, as the professional. He embraces Brodie's enthusiasm and makes small corrections, but presents well. As anyone could have expected, he continues to be a good face for disc golf (and for Discraft). Brodie, on the other hand, makes it based on Pure energy and enthusiasm. He says some things that make us disc golfers cringe, but I like his attitude more than I expected and I'm certainly curious how 2020 and beyond will go for Mr. Brodie bro.