Old 02-17-2020, 11:58 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 413
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 407 Times in 206 Posts

I feel like that is more of an outlier situation than the norm. Blue Ribbon is another course that happens with, along with most other top or highly regarded courses.

I'm of the opinion of if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I don't think you have to write the longest review for it to be helpful. I have a pretty good up/down ratio and I don't write the best reviews.

If you're honest and genuine you're going to get the thumbs up. It'll average out in the long run just like course ratings. A 20 thumb down review is an outlier like the occasional 0 disc review of a Flip or Blue Ribbon.
Sponsored Links

Old 02-18-2020, 02:06 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 0.6
Courses Played: 12
Niced 114 Times in 56 Posts

The drive-by negative votes are ridiculous, I've noticed. And they're kind of distracting. I recently got my first "not helpful" vote for a review where I took the time to type up good directions for a notoriously badly-flowing local course. My post was the very definition of helpful, and it will save other people significant time. That's sort of the cousin of the homer review; the homer neg. Some people will always find something to be miserable about though. I would probably ban people from voting if they were consistently booing off quality reviews, if I had the time that is.

Niced: (2)
Old 02-18-2020, 02:37 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 413
Niced 407 Times in 206 Posts

I gave you a helpful disco. I'm hoping to play Quail ridge in July when I'm in St. Louis. I also like to add any navigational help in my reviews that I can. There's not much that bugs me more than reading all the reviews for a course I want to play and every one mentions how hard it is to find hole 1, 6, 10 etc. Yet not one tells you how to get to said hole.

Niced: (3)
Old 02-18-2020, 06:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 127
Niced 3,902 Times in 1,646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco40 View Post
The drive-by negative votes are ridiculous, I've noticed. And they're kind of distracting. I recently got my first "not helpful" vote for a review where I took the time to type up good directions for a notoriously badly-flowing local course. My post was the very definition of helpful, and it will save other people significant time. That's sort of the cousin of the homer review; the homer neg. Some people will always find something to be miserable about though. I would probably ban people from voting if they were consistently booing off quality reviews, if I had the time that is.
The thumbs shouldn't be very distracting. They're easy to ignore. In fact, you have to make an effort to notice them, in the first place.

Aberrations aside, the thumbs might offer a few benefits:

---Site users can sort reviews by most helpful, as a way to see the best couple of reviews on a course. Imperfect, true, but a better sort than any other measure.

---A measure to determine Trusted Reviewers, more refined than just number of reviews.

---A way for the thumbgivers to say something, without starting a thread about a review they don't like. A little thumb, and they're done.

With the downside of:

---

Old 02-18-2020, 07:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 88
Niced 2,021 Times in 807 Posts

Quote:
I like the thumb downs on some of my reviews. It gives me an idea who the possible course homers are.

(Remember that premium members can see who voted )

Old 02-18-2020, 08:04 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.9
Courses Played: 172
Niced 653 Times in 286 Posts

Quote:
. . . I recently got my first "not helpful" vote . . .
Keep in mind that to qualify as a Trusted Reviewer:

Quote:
. . . your unhelpful vote count must be less than 45% of your total helpful vote count to qualify as a trusted reviewer.
So an occasional thumb down doesn't really hurt, other than pride. And if I was getting > 40% unhelpful votes, I would want to understand why and probably re-evaluate how I was doing reviews.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-18-2020, 10:21 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 427
Niced 932 Times in 317 Posts

Quote:
Great course for short game, and it has bathrooms
the entire udisc review of Grove point in Georgia. 4 holes (170, 228,119,213)
score? you guessed it. 5.0

Old 02-18-2020, 11:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 133
Niced 764 Times in 349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Ogre View Post
I mean I guess if you don’t care about course navigation or keeping score electronically that could be true...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
^what the Ogre said. I hear it's also more useful in helping to navigate the course while your using the scorekeeping app
A course I can't navigate without using a map?

Still a UDisc 5.0
Old 02-19-2020, 02:10 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 0.6
Courses Played: 12
Niced 114 Times in 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
The thumbs shouldn't be very distracting. They're easy to ignore. In fact, you have to make an effort to notice them, in the first place.

Aberrations aside, the thumbs might offer a few benefits:

---Site users can sort reviews by most helpful, as a way to see the best couple of reviews on a course. Imperfect, true, but a better sort than any other measure.

---A measure to determine Trusted Reviewers, more refined than just number of reviews.

---A way for the thumbgivers to say something, without starting a thread about a review they don't like. A little thumb, and they're done.

With the downside of:

---
Good points. I should say that I think the system itself is probably the best way or at least a solid way to do things. I'm just not above being annoyed and whining about those minor annoyances.

Niced: (1)

Old 02-20-2020, 03:02 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 127
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 334 Times in 101 Posts

Is it just me or can we no longer see who's voted on our reviews? (yes I checked to make sure I'm logged in)