Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 05-20-2015, 08:53 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default Why the obsession on mids and fairways with lots of glide?

Seems I read on the forums a lot about folks enamored by their mids and fairways that "glide for days". After working with an FD lately that was annoying the heck out of me because I couldn't control it's distance, it got me thinking of all the other discs I parted ways with for the same reason.

I've used discs like the River, Meteor, Fuse, Comet and the like over the last few years and I don't bag any of them anymore, I just never found a good se for them. I use mids and fairways for accuracy and control, not the frustrating unexpected 30ft blow by into the brush. If I need more distance, I just up the disc to something more predictable.

Maybe I'm missing some benefit that I don't know about yet. So my question is, what do you use these discs for? why do you like these discs, and why is a glide for days mid a good thing?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2015, 09:02 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 170 Times in 92 Posts

-powered down shots

-when you have a long turnover/get out of jail/escape shot that you need the most distance possible with control

-long tunnel shots with hyzerflip

I used to throw the comet for almost everything, but like you don't throw it as much because other putters and midrange are so much easier to gauge distance on. I still bag it though because sometimes there's a tunnel shot that I want maximum penetration on and maybe want to throw from stand still/powered down.

hell I'll even use the comet to do backhand/sidearm turnover escape from a shank into woods with and a lot of the time that extra glide turns a layup into the fairway into a legit bid to get into that 30ft putting circle because of the glide.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 13
Niced 95 Times in 49 Posts

Some people need/want that extra carry. Others can afford to sacrifice it for more consistency.

Different strokes and all that.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:07 AM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 568
Niced 764 Times in 328 Posts

Totally agree. I'd rather have a predictable flight, than the once in a while benefit of "glide".

To me, "glide" just means it sucks in the wind.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:28 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 136
Niced 3,043 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
Totally agree. I'd rather have a predictable flight, than the once in a while benefit of "glide".

To me, "glide" just means it sucks in the wind.
It's give and take. It always has been. If you want the extra stability (or call it predictability) you are going to give up some distance (or call it glide) or visa versa.

Either way you give up something, so it depends on what you can afford to give up. Power throwers who can bomb a Firebird 400' can obviously sacrifice some D for the accuracy an overstable disc can provide, so what they give up is a no-brainer. If you are a weenie-arm struggling to reach 275' with a flippy driver, giving up that D for a 220' Firebird toss is a different type of decision. I know guys who throw Gators all day. If I'm going to get close to them in D I need to throw something less stable (read: more glidey.) If it's windy, meh. That's my penalty for sucking, because If I switch to a Gator I'm throwing it 180' and taking a extra stroke anyway. I'll throw the Comet and hope the wind magically dies down for a minute.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:28 AM
*Hiding in Mike C's Closet*

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 27
Niced 116 Times in 70 Posts

too much glide is bad, reduces distance control, reduces wind resistance, reduces predictability by making it flippy.. too much glide pretty much takes away all the characteristics of a disc that you want when trying to be accurate in less than perfect conditions.

The only time i have ever wanted a ton of glide is when i had a low ceiling shot, but i would prefer just throwing it harder as opposed to a disc with a lot of glide... and that's like what 0.1% of the time? i hardly ever see low ceiling shots around here.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:29 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

For the most part I use fairways and mids off the tee, and use putters on the approach... so the glide is desirable.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:42 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 12 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
If I'm going to get close to them in D I need to throw something less stable (read: more glidey.) If it's windy, meh.
The glide is not the same thing as US. You can have two straight discs where one is glidey and the other one is not. For example a beat in Blend Suspect and a new Opto Pure are both very straight discs for fairly similar distances, but dramatically different lines.

I have been wondering about this very same issue and dropped Saints and Rivers due to lack of predictability. I'd say that Striker and a beat in StPro do the same things with more consistency.

The glidey disc can suddenly get a lot of lift and glide past the target. It could just as well drop out of the sky without any warning and it doesn't have to be all that windy. These vertical movements are much more subtle with glideless molds.

Last edited by Snaques; 05-20-2015 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:47 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 12
Niced 101 Times in 67 Posts

My River often dumped out on me because of the glide, until I started using it for finesse shots powered and (the big one for me), sweeping annys that hold the line 95% of the way down. The River has gone from a "you som,bitch" relation**** to "my dear River" relationship. Its a gray area for me with mids and fairways though - if Im needing to power down a fairway Im grabbing a mid. Im more confident adding power to a mid than taking power off a leopard or eagle for example. My mids cover a very wide range of shots and powers. Thats why my bag has 6 mids ranging in stability and glide. The river though, is the only one (so far) that I really like having the glide factor. There are some I havent tried and plan to. In a nutshell - I think they have their place and I make use of both

Old 05-20-2015, 09:48 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 170 Times in 92 Posts

its more about knowing your disc through and through though right? so knowing a comet has incredible glide is useful in planning shots.

I can get a comet out to around 290ft if I throw it 80% power in a small fairway/straight with hyzerflip and minimal in low wind conditions. So if I come upon a tunnel shot that is 300ft I know I can do that shot with that disc.

Does it mean I'll use that disc? Not really, maybe I want to go hard and maybe go a little past it with a leopard (which also has incredible glide) or a teebird (when beaten in can also have incredible glide), or a TL (when beaten in can have incredible glide), how about a beaten in DX Roc (can have incredible glide).

Knowing the gators/firebirds/brinsterbirds/brand new KC Pro aviar can bricks are super useful too. I know if the shot is 250ft I can kill a gator and not worry about going to far.

Its about shot making i guess. You can finesse a glide-y mid/fairway there, or you can throw a more OS/less glide-y/even a brick there hard. whatever gets you the shot consistently/per circumstance is correct.