Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 01-17-2016, 11:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.8
Courses Played: 76
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 180 Times in 112 Posts

My max distance drives RHBH are with a beat Star Destroyer. If you want something from DD, Westside or Lat...I'd say a beat Trespass. IMHO beat up stable to overstable drivers are best for max distance.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2016, 11:15 AM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 1
Niced 1,241 Times in 619 Posts

Don't know how far you throw, but for me the Orbital is easiest to get on a nice long flip to turn. The Inertia is awesome too, so I'll also throw in a vote for that one. If you have a better arm than me, the Inertia is much more controllable than the Orbital, so is probably your best bet.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:21 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,113 Times in 747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscinFiend View Post
My max distance drives RHBH are with a beat Star Destroyer. If you want something from DD, Westside or Lat...I'd say a beat Trespass. IMHO beat up stable to overstable drivers are best for max distance.
I didnt find the tresspass to really be a hyzerflip disc like the renegade was when testing them out. For sure not like the sidewinder/king as OP mentioned.

I do agree a beat slightly stable disc which gets turn are great max d throwers but not the easiest to replace with a new disc.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:31 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 27
Niced 139 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclevince View Post
I was more referring to trilogy's flight ratings being slightly exaggerated on certain molds but I got ya.
Ah, cool, and thanks for the suggestions
Old 01-17-2016, 11:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 184
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 171 Times in 103 Posts

Pro Wraith. Tasty!
Old 01-17-2016, 11:39 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,188 Times in 769 Posts

Honestly you can't do much better than the King.

I've liked Wraiths, Destroyers and napalm here before but King is King.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.8
Courses Played: 76
Niced 180 Times in 112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
I didnt find the tresspass to really be a hyzerflip disc like the renegade was when testing them out. For sure not like the sidewinder/king as OP mentioned.

I do agree a beat slightly stable disc which gets turn are great max d throwers but not the easiest to replace with a new disc.
Out of the box, the Trespass definitely isn't Sidewinder flippy. It's one of (if not the) closest molds to the Destroyer I've ever thrown. It may take a long time but IMHO I think it would be completely worth beating one up to make it understable. I understand it wouldn't be easy to replace if lost. Its just that in my experience beat up stable/overstable drivers that have some turn right away get more distance when beat up than molds that start out flippy. Plus they usually hold that sweet shop longer than drivers that are flippy out of the box. So if the Trespass is to much of a disc for the OP he could choose a slower/smaller rimmed driver with similar flight characteristics to beat up.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:48 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, FWIW the only sidewinder I've thrown is a 9/10 DX I found uninked in the local pond; and the only times I could get it to flip up without turning and burning or crashing into a bush or tree off to the right were long downhill shots to the right. So there may be a gap in our power levels. However, I do tend to hyzer flip more often than others I play with and IMO plastic type is very important for a hyzer flip disc. I want my flippers to be dependable. That means i either want them to start out and hold onto their desired stability or beat into the sweet spot to reach it. Unless my plan is to beat something relatively stable or slightly OS to flippable (for the sake of mold minimization/cycling)I usually prefer premium plastic for this slot since it will hold the flight characteristics longest. My Z Buzzz SSs are my most called upon hyzer flip discs and they hardly change at all as they beat, I have a 7/10 that just seems more workable now; I can muscle it to finish gently right if I care to. IME Base plastic Buzzzes get flippier than Z Buzzz SSs. I have a beat to hell(4/10) Pro-D buzzz that does nothing but turn hard right, even on a 90 degree hyzer it will finish anhyzer (Currently trying to beat some base truths to overtake that slot so I don't have any regular buzzzes in the bag [elite X Buzzz SSs would solve all my problems]). On the other hand, If I want something longer in a hyzer flip shot I will use a beat 6/10 3rd run C-line FD that can now finish slightly right if thrown flat(my distance fairway) OR I could power down My D-line FD on an extreme hyzer OR I could whip out a fresh out of the box P-line FD if I am looking to start breaking one of those in for more US duties. I actually preferred a fresh P-line for this shot( felt more controlled, stayed closer to the ground, but it didn't stay at that stability more than 3-4 tree hits. Basically, what I'm trying to get at is this: If you build a bag based only around discs that will do exactly what you want[out of the box it could create confusion, frustration, and/or the need to consolidate molds later on when those discs are breaking in past the point you can utilize them for the shots they were initially bagged for. Not that it's a bad bag building strategy, just something to be aware of. Especially when considering the US side of your bag. It's for this reason that 'my favorite disc for a good long hyzer flip' is not necessarily an under stable mold. My favorite flipping mid is, but my favorite flipping driver is beat to perfection for that shot.

Last edited by Disc of Cheese; 01-17-2016 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 20
Niced 73 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdiv48 View Post
Pro Wraith. Tasty!
Nothing in Pro plastic is tasty...you're substituting a ****ty plastic blend for stability...just buy a disc in the stability range you're looking for. I tried a few discs in pro plastic, and when a pro boss and pro destroyer turn and burn like an opto air bolt...Houston there's a problem.

Old 01-17-2016, 12:51 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 27
Niced 139 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disc of Cheese View Post
So, FWIW the only sidewinder I've thrown is a 9/10 DX I found uninked in the local pond; and the only times I could get it to flip up without turning and burning or crashing into a bush or tree off to the right were long downhill shots to the right. So there may be a gap in our power levels. However, I do tend to hyzer flip more often than others I play with and IMO plastic type is very important for a hyzer flip disc. I want my flippers to be dependable. That means i either want them to start out and hold onto their desired stability or beat into the sweet spot to reach it. Unless my plan is to beat something relatively stable or slightly OS to flippable (for the sake of mold minimization/cycling)I usually prefer premium plastic for this slot since it will hold the flight characteristics longest. My Z Buzzz SSs are my most called upon hyzer flip discs and they hardly change at all as they beat, I have a 7/10 that just seems more workable now; I can muscle it to finish gently right if I care to. IME Base plastic Buzzzes get flippier than Z Buzzz SSs. I have a beat to hell(4/10) Pro-D buzzz that does nothing but turn hard right, even on a 90 degree hyzer it will finish anhyzer (Currently trying to beat some base truths to overtake that slot so I don't have any regular buzzzes in the bag [elite X Buzzz SSs would solve all my problems]). On the other hand, If I want something longer in a hyzer flip shot I will use a beat 6/10 3rd run C-line FD that can now finish slightly right if thrown flat(my distance fairway) OR I could power down My D-line FD on an extreme hyzer OR I could whip out a fresh out of the box P-line FD if I am looking to start breaking one of those in for more US duties. I actually preferred a fresh P-line for this shot( felt more controlled, stayed closer to the ground, but it didn't stay at that stability more than 3-4 tree hits. Basically, what I'm trying to get at is this: If you build a bag based only around discs that will do exactly what you want[out of the box it could create confusion, frustration, and/or the need to consolidate molds later on when those discs are breaking in past the point you can utilize them for the shots they were initially bagged for. Not that it's a bad bag building strategy, just something to be aware of. Especially when considering the US side of your bag. It's for this reason that 'my favorite disc for a good long hyzer flip' is not necessarily an under stable mold. My favorite flipping mid is, but my favorite flipping driver is beat to perfection for that shot.
Yeah, I'm not against a stable/os mold, just impatient, i guess? lol. Plus, I get frustrated if the disc doesn't flip up when I'm expecting it too, which is a problem I have with things like Destroyers and wraiths. When they do flip, they're awesome.
DX always turns and burns for me as well, doesn't really matter what it is (I usually bag a dx valk or similar for that specific shot).

But this thread is full of good info, thanks folks!

Last edited by DiscgolfStu; 01-17-2016 at 12:55 PM.