Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 01-17-2016, 11:11 AM
DiscinFiend's Avatar
DiscinFiend DiscinFiend is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Years Playing: 20.8
Courses Played: 76
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,818
Niced 180 Times in 112 Posts
Default

My max distance drives RHBH are with a beat Star Destroyer. If you want something from DD, Westside or Lat...I'd say a beat Trespass. IMHO beat up stable to overstable drivers are best for max distance.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-17-2016, 11:15 AM
Halcón's Avatar
Halcón Halcón is online now
Free at Last
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 12,031
Niced 1,241 Times in 619 Posts
Default

Don't know how far you throw, but for me the Orbital is easiest to get on a nice long flip to turn. The Inertia is awesome too, so I'll also throw in a vote for that one. If you have a better arm than me, the Inertia is much more controllable than the Orbital, so is probably your best bet.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-17-2016, 11:21 AM
Aim For The Chains's Avatar
Aim For The Chains Aim For The Chains is offline
FROLF OFF!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: MINNESOTA
Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 17,080
Niced 1,113 Times in 747 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscinFiend View Post
My max distance drives RHBH are with a beat Star Destroyer. If you want something from DD, Westside or Lat...I'd say a beat Trespass. IMHO beat up stable to overstable drivers are best for max distance.
I didnt find the tresspass to really be a hyzerflip disc like the renegade was when testing them out. For sure not like the sidewinder/king as OP mentioned.

I do agree a beat slightly stable disc which gets turn are great max d throwers but not the easiest to replace with a new disc.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-17-2016, 11:31 AM
DiscgolfStu's Avatar
DiscgolfStu DiscgolfStu is online now
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: The No Sco
Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 302
Niced 139 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclevince View Post
I was more referring to trilogy's flight ratings being slightly exaggerated on certain molds but I got ya.
Ah, cool, and thanks for the suggestions
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-17-2016, 11:32 AM
kevdiv48's Avatar
kevdiv48 kevdiv48 is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 184
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 2,268
Niced 171 Times in 103 Posts
Default

Pro Wraith. Tasty!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-17-2016, 11:39 AM
Moose33 Moose33 is offline
Salient/Yikun Groupie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 5,409
Niced 1,188 Times in 769 Posts
Default

Honestly you can't do much better than the King.

I've liked Wraiths, Destroyers and napalm here before but King is King.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-17-2016, 11:42 AM
DiscinFiend's Avatar
DiscinFiend DiscinFiend is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Years Playing: 20.8
Courses Played: 76
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,818
Niced 180 Times in 112 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
I didnt find the tresspass to really be a hyzerflip disc like the renegade was when testing them out. For sure not like the sidewinder/king as OP mentioned.

I do agree a beat slightly stable disc which gets turn are great max d throwers but not the easiest to replace with a new disc.
Out of the box, the Trespass definitely isn't Sidewinder flippy. It's one of (if not the) closest molds to the Destroyer I've ever thrown. It may take a long time but IMHO I think it would be completely worth beating one up to make it understable. I understand it wouldn't be easy to replace if lost. Its just that in my experience beat up stable/overstable drivers that have some turn right away get more distance when beat up than molds that start out flippy. Plus they usually hold that sweet shop longer than drivers that are flippy out of the box. So if the Trespass is to much of a disc for the OP he could choose a slower/smaller rimmed driver with similar flight characteristics to beat up.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-17-2016, 11:48 AM
Disc of Cheese's Avatar
Disc of Cheese Disc of Cheese is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 409
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

So, FWIW the only sidewinder I've thrown is a 9/10 DX I found uninked in the local pond; and the only times I could get it to flip up without turning and burning or crashing into a bush or tree off to the right were long downhill shots to the right. So there may be a gap in our power levels. However, I do tend to hyzer flip more often than others I play with and IMO plastic type is very important for a hyzer flip disc. I want my flippers to be dependable. That means i either want them to start out and hold onto their desired stability or beat into the sweet spot to reach it. Unless my plan is to beat something relatively stable or slightly OS to flippable (for the sake of mold minimization/cycling)I usually prefer premium plastic for this slot since it will hold the flight characteristics longest. My Z Buzzz SSs are my most called upon hyzer flip discs and they hardly change at all as they beat, I have a 7/10 that just seems more workable now; I can muscle it to finish gently right if I care to. IME Base plastic Buzzzes get flippier than Z Buzzz SSs. I have a beat to hell(4/10) Pro-D buzzz that does nothing but turn hard right, even on a 90 degree hyzer it will finish anhyzer (Currently trying to beat some base truths to overtake that slot so I don't have any regular buzzzes in the bag [elite X Buzzz SSs would solve all my problems]). On the other hand, If I want something longer in a hyzer flip shot I will use a beat 6/10 3rd run C-line FD that can now finish slightly right if thrown flat(my distance fairway) OR I could power down My D-line FD on an extreme hyzer OR I could whip out a fresh out of the box P-line FD if I am looking to start breaking one of those in for more US duties. I actually preferred a fresh P-line for this shot( felt more controlled, stayed closer to the ground, but it didn't stay at that stability more than 3-4 tree hits. Basically, what I'm trying to get at is this: If you build a bag based only around discs that will do exactly what you want[out of the box it could create confusion, frustration, and/or the need to consolidate molds later on when those discs are breaking in past the point you can utilize them for the shots they were initially bagged for. Not that it's a bad bag building strategy, just something to be aware of. Especially when considering the US side of your bag. It's for this reason that 'my favorite disc for a good long hyzer flip' is not necessarily an under stable mold. My favorite flipping mid is, but my favorite flipping driver is beat to perfection for that shot.

Last edited by Disc of Cheese; 01-17-2016 at 11:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-17-2016, 12:20 PM
mark996's Avatar
mark996 mark996 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: DFW
Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,486
Niced 73 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdiv48 View Post
Pro Wraith. Tasty!
Nothing in Pro plastic is tasty...you're substituting a ****ty plastic blend for stability...just buy a disc in the stability range you're looking for. I tried a few discs in pro plastic, and when a pro boss and pro destroyer turn and burn like an opto air bolt...Houston there's a problem.
Reply With Quote
 

  #20  
Old 01-17-2016, 12:51 PM
DiscgolfStu's Avatar
DiscgolfStu DiscgolfStu is online now
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: The No Sco
Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 302
Niced 139 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disc of Cheese View Post
So, FWIW the only sidewinder I've thrown is a 9/10 DX I found uninked in the local pond; and the only times I could get it to flip up without turning and burning or crashing into a bush or tree off to the right were long downhill shots to the right. So there may be a gap in our power levels. However, I do tend to hyzer flip more often than others I play with and IMO plastic type is very important for a hyzer flip disc. I want my flippers to be dependable. That means i either want them to start out and hold onto their desired stability or beat into the sweet spot to reach it. Unless my plan is to beat something relatively stable or slightly OS to flippable (for the sake of mold minimization/cycling)I usually prefer premium plastic for this slot since it will hold the flight characteristics longest. My Z Buzzz SSs are my most called upon hyzer flip discs and they hardly change at all as they beat, I have a 7/10 that just seems more workable now; I can muscle it to finish gently right if I care to. IME Base plastic Buzzzes get flippier than Z Buzzz SSs. I have a beat to hell(4/10) Pro-D buzzz that does nothing but turn hard right, even on a 90 degree hyzer it will finish anhyzer (Currently trying to beat some base truths to overtake that slot so I don't have any regular buzzzes in the bag [elite X Buzzz SSs would solve all my problems]). On the other hand, If I want something longer in a hyzer flip shot I will use a beat 6/10 3rd run C-line FD that can now finish slightly right if thrown flat(my distance fairway) OR I could power down My D-line FD on an extreme hyzer OR I could whip out a fresh out of the box P-line FD if I am looking to start breaking one of those in for more US duties. I actually preferred a fresh P-line for this shot( felt more controlled, stayed closer to the ground, but it didn't stay at that stability more than 3-4 tree hits. Basically, what I'm trying to get at is this: If you build a bag based only around discs that will do exactly what you want[out of the box it could create confusion, frustration, and/or the need to consolidate molds later on when those discs are breaking in past the point you can utilize them for the shots they were initially bagged for. Not that it's a bad bag building strategy, just something to be aware of. Especially when considering the US side of your bag. It's for this reason that 'my favorite disc for a good long hyzer flip' is not necessarily an under stable mold. My favorite flipping mid is, but my favorite flipping driver is beat to perfection for that shot.
Yeah, I'm not against a stable/os mold, just impatient, i guess? lol. Plus, I get frustrated if the disc doesn't flip up when I'm expecting it too, which is a problem I have with things like Destroyers and wraiths. When they do flip, they're awesome.
DX always turns and burns for me as well, doesn't really matter what it is (I usually bag a dx valk or similar for that specific shot).

But this thread is full of good info, thanks folks!

Last edited by DiscgolfStu; 01-17-2016 at 12:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Premium Plastic hyzerflip disc shortstack31489 Discs 22 05-24-2015 11:16 PM
Good long distance frisbee Nick481 Discs 102 11-10-2014 03:24 PM
Favourite Disc Colour juju General Disc Golf Chat 93 03-16-2011 07:41 PM
Some good long dg youtube vids? Inn0va General Disc Golf Chat 11 10-23-2010 08:20 PM
need new hyzerflip disc Technohic Discs 41 10-26-2009 10:32 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.