Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 07-19-2018, 10:41 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 368 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disc Golf Doctor View Post
Deyo, I am sorry, I thought I responded to you a while back. The location of the pain provides only limited diagnostic information. The brain is very complicated in how it interprets pain signals. You can do the exercises but only if they are entirely pain free. It is hard to say anything with more detail without a real physical evaluation. The issue may not be entirely due to strength and if so, those exercises would not be enough by themselves.
No worries. Since then, through some help of a friend/personal trainer, I've determined that my pecs, lats and traps are all tight. All contributing to both the front shoulder impingement area and area I described above. Need to continue to loosen these up in addition to proper shoulder and scapular strengthening.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by deyo7; 07-19-2018 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Autocorrect
Old 10-09-2018, 11:23 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 209 Times in 135 Posts

Can we sticky this thread? Seems to me that injury prevention and muscle training is just as important as proper form.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:12 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 288 Times in 219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockness Monster View Post
Can we sticky this thread? Seems to me that injury prevention and muscle training is just as important as proper form.
What if I told you that proper form is THE best injury prevention tool?

Niced: (1)
Old 10-09-2018, 12:29 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 23
Niced 209 Times in 135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhhNegative View Post
What if I told you that proper form is THE best injury prevention tool?
I would believe you, but proper form is a long road fraught with peril. Injury prevention first will enable those of us who struggle with form to stay in fine throwing condition.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:25 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 118 Times in 50 Posts

Check out the new video about the reasons Ultimate players have difficulty transitioning to Disc Golf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEE1...cbqrwbk0h00410

Old 11-10-2018, 12:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 5
Niced 924 Times in 641 Posts

Hey so thanks for doing this thread.. I had a question about the lower body.. Specifically my leading leg. I had knee surgery a while back for a torn meniscus when my knee popped out of place. I think I'm two years down the road and my knee is clicking, popping and feeling kinda weak.

Is there exercises or stretches that would help me get my knee in better shape?

Specific things to avoid? I was told kneeling and twisting is why it happened..and it's real common.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:37 PM
Par Member

Hey, sorry I only just saw your comment. Yeah, the meniscus does not tear from kneeling, though the twisting can certainly contribute. The video on knee injury prevention touches on some pertinent topics for you, though to some degree that is prevention rather than addressing an existing issue. Ultimately treatment depends on why your knee is clicking, popping, and feeling weak. Certainly strengthening is a good idea, but form is critical and depends on what muscles are needing strength. I would consider some of the exercises in the video, but you have to make sure it is pain free and form is good. You may want to have it evaluated further. I would suggest looking for a PT that is board certified in orthopedics or sports therapy in your area: https://aptaapps.apta.org/Directoryo...s/default.aspx

Niced: (2)
Old 12-28-2018, 11:36 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 368 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
Hey so thanks for doing this thread.. I had a question about the lower body.. Specifically my leading leg. I had knee surgery a while back for a torn meniscus when my knee popped out of place. I think I'm two years down the road and my knee is clicking, popping and feeling kinda weak.

Is there exercises or stretches that would help me get my knee in better shape?

Specific things to avoid? I was told kneeling and twisting is why it happened..and it's real common.
I dislocated my knee cap among other things 3 or so years ago. Most of us have weak glutes - which I'm told is actually key to knee stability - and weak core.

Maybe, yes, see good PT (not one of those churn a bunch of patients in and out places). Maybe search youtube, or maybe disc golf doctor can help suggest, exercises for ways to promote glute firing first.

Then, what has helped me is lifting legs. You don't have to belong to gym. Try some single leg squats - Helps balance, strengthens legs and probably don't initially need weight:

Try this: https://youtu.be/w4OUtEO27UM

Or squat from a slightly raised platform, lowering leg you are not standing on below platform until it slowly touches ground then stand back up.

Dead lifts.

Core:
Screening core stability: https://youtu.be/WQCOeLD8_2Q

Search for lower ab strengthening videos on youtube (e.g., leg raises, dead bug; i.e., don't just do crunches).

The core and legs are the same and go hand in hand. Try to tuck pelvis in tighten glutes and abs while doing the leg exercises. (like Chloe says here at 44 seconds on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPyLoflxaZ4)

Disc golf: One leg drill and being balanced on lead leg really is the best way to not hurt knee during disc golf.

FWIW. Good luck.

Old 12-31-2018, 04:06 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyo7 View Post
I dislocated my knee cap among other things 3 or so years ago. Most of us have weak glutes - which I'm told is actually key to knee stability - and weak core.

Maybe, yes, see good PT (not one of those churn a bunch of patients in and out places). Maybe search youtube, or maybe disc golf doctor can help suggest, exercises for ways to promote glute firing first.

Then, what has helped me is lifting legs. You don't have to belong to gym. Try some single leg squats - Helps balance, strengthens legs and probably don't initially need weight:

Try this: https://youtu.be/w4OUtEO27UM

Or squat from a slightly raised platform, lowering leg you are not standing on below platform until it slowly touches ground then stand back up.

Dead lifts.

Core:
Screening core stability: https://youtu.be/WQCOeLD8_2Q

Search for lower ab strengthening videos on youtube (e.g., leg raises, dead bug; i.e., don't just do crunches).

The core and legs are the same and go hand in hand. Try to tuck pelvis in tighten glutes and abs while doing the leg exercises. (like Chloe says here at 44 seconds on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPyLoflxaZ4)

Disc golf: One leg drill and being balanced on lead leg really is the best way to not hurt knee during disc golf.

FWIW. Good luck.
Definitely some good thoughts here.
I agree, don't go to one of the places that just churns people out.
I like ATHLEAN-X stuff, he knows what he is talking about.
Just be careful with any exercise you do that your form is really good and there is no pain.

Old 03-23-2019, 06:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 4
Niced 206 Times in 144 Posts

Hey doc

Like what your doing here. It is well overdue. Currently, I have a shoulder impingement.

Your videos have already been an improvement over my conventional therapist who knew very little of the mechanics of our sport.

I still need more help with this as I stopped going to my therapist due to dissatisfaction with her methods. Currently, seeking more help with this. Do you accept PM's.

Best

doctor Smooth