Old 08-13-2019, 12:27 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 298
Niced 83 Times in 40 Posts

Interesting idea. Nichols has cool rock outcrops, but Wickham is a much better course overall. A skyline view, varied terrain, open and wooded holes, onsite aviary and snack bar...compared to all heavily-wooded holes with tight fairways and tons of rocks, no amenities and tons of bugs makes it an easy choice for me.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 08-13-2019, 02:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 33.9
Courses Played: 361
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 117 Times in 59 Posts

Wichham is better than Nichols in CT since it has more variety and cut grass, Nichols is totally wooded. I played 501 in MA and Nichols in CT within 24 hrs of each other recently. 501 might not be rated as high as Maple Hill but I liked it just as much. They were about 75 minutes apart.

Old 08-21-2019, 03:15 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 157
Niced 60 Times in 25 Posts

Now I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to bag the two state #1's (Hawk Hollow in VA and Seneca Creek in MD) when the Blockhouse is right next door and has three unique courses. Has anyone tried to play Hawk Hollow plus the three Blockhouse courses in the same day? Is that insane?

Logistically, if I give myself two hours to play Seneca Creek vs. four hours to play the three Blockhouse courses, I'd arrive at my destination in DC about 1.5 hours later if I play the Blockhouse (after accounting for travel time).

I have no idea if my timing on this is realistic or if these courses will just whip me and have me laying on the ground in the fetal position.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:41 PM
Independent Operator*

Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 523
Niced 777 Times in 277 Posts

I have played two top ranked courses in two states on the same day, twice.

Back before Sugaree was extinct, I played Sugaree, NC and Harmon Hill, Tennesse on the same day.

I played Willow Valley, Rhode Island and Brakewell Steel/Warwick, NY on the same day. While they are not top 25 courses, each course is the number one ranked course in each state.

I also played three courses in one day, almost got four. I played Iron Hill, Delaware, Poor House Farm, West Virginia and Jim Barnett Park, Virginia. The fourth was going to be Ditto Farms, Maryland, but I ran out of daylight.

Have fun!

Old 08-21-2019, 03:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,411 Times in 977 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenanFlagler01 View Post
Now I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to bag the two state #1's (Hawk Hollow in VA and Seneca Creek in MD) when the Blockhouse is right next door and has three unique courses. Has anyone tried to play Hawk Hollow plus the three Blockhouse courses in the same day? Is that insane?

Logistically, if I give myself two hours to play Seneca Creek vs. four hours to play the three Blockhouse courses, I'd arrive at my destination in DC about 1.5 hours later if I play the Blockhouse (after accounting for travel time).

I have no idea if my timing on this is realistic or if these courses will just whip me and have me laying on the ground in the fetal position.
Tiki at the Blockhouse will take about 20 minutes. IMO you are much better off trying to play HH and Blockhouse all in one day than counting on traffic from Fredericksburg to Seneca to allow you to accomplish that. it's more golf than I would care to play in one day but if you are in the course bagging mode may as well go for it. The potential ****tiness of DC area traffic is impossible to overstate. Also the courses here in Spotsy will all be in pretty much their best shape ever with USWDGC on the horizon.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:06 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 157
Niced 60 Times in 25 Posts

Thanks, John! Yeah, the USWDGC (as a plus for Spotsy courses) and DC traffic (as a negative for Seneca Creek) definitely entered my mind. Worst case scenario, I wear myself out at Blockhouse and skip one of those courses.

As you can see, I can't wait for this trip!
Old 08-21-2019, 09:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.8
Courses Played: 172
Niced 643 Times in 283 Posts

Seneca Creek is worth DC traffic. Just avoid rush “hour”, which lasts at least 3 hours on weekdays.

Also keep in mind that Seneca Creek is 27 holes, so allot at least 2.5 hours, depending how fast you play and short vs. long tees.

And I strongly recommend hitting Clark’s Run on your way to MD.

Edit: Concur with biscoe’s advice re combining Hawk Hollow and the Blockhouse courses.

Last edited by Monocacy; 08-21-2019 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:36 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 109
Niced 227 Times in 126 Posts

You could add willow valley in RI and hit up 3 in 1 day on that New England loop
Old 08-22-2019, 09:20 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.8
Courses Played: 136
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 54 Times in 23 Posts

You could potentially get Rollin Ridge and Flip City (2 of top 5 overall) on the same day, especially if the car ferry had a better schedule (and was on time). RR is only about 30 minutes from the dock in Manitowoc, and Flip City is about 45 minutes from Ludington. In late June, you could play Flip City at sunrise (6am) in less than 2 hours, then hustle to make the 9am EDT departure. Ferry is scheduled to arrive in Manitowoc at noon CDT, so you'd have no problem getting Rollin Ridge even if the ferry was late.

Going the other way, the ferry leaves Manitowoc at 2pm CDT, so again, no problem on the WI side. Arrival is scheduled for 7pm EDT in Ludington, with sunset at 9:30 EDT and twilight around 10pm. In this direction, however, you'd be in trouble if the ferry ran late.

Old 09-04-2019, 08:12 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 446
Niced 118 Times in 61 Posts

About a week ago a group of friends and I played Salmon Falls (#1 in NH) and 501 (#1 in Massachusetts) in the same day. Along with Devens - the general, pyramids, and pyramids pink. ‘Twas a great day. Then we played maple hill the next day (now #2 in Massachusetts)

I’ve also done Stafford Woods in NJ and Iron Hill in Delaware on the same day. New England definitely makes this much more achievable with small states n’at