Old 10-01-2018, 02:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 160
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 458 Times in 319 Posts

I agree with the above, but I'm less of a believer in the "fewer molds helps" philosophy. First of all, I think even as an Intermediate to Advanced player, I think there is more variation throw to throw than between molds. So practice similar throws with multiple molds, then find what you're most confident with. For me, this has helped me find spots where certain molds shine, e.g. Polecat or Comet for floaty turnovers, Buzzz for forehand anny, .... many other examples.

Also, embrace the fact that your struggle is a good one. Plenty of players don't have those options. As you gain experience, you find certain shots become your go-tos. But the other shots that will behave similarly are also great options in certain cases, whether that's obstacles close to your lie, trees on the way, or the slope near the basket. What I'm trying to say is that options are a good thing. I also find that forehand approach game is really where forehand is indispensable. It's just so much easier to find a good stance with forehand when you have weird footing. So it may be more beneficial to work on those forehand approaches even if you focus on backhand shots off the tee.
Sponsored Links

Old 10-01-2018, 02:06 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.1
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 64 Times in 43 Posts

Do you have a go-to disc? For me, the most thrown discs in my bag are a couple of Escapes -- one that's a tad more stable than the average Escape and another that's beat in and I can throw on a frozen rope if I need to. When I'm on the teepad I first envision whether one of these discs will comfortably execute the shot that I want. If so, then I throw it. If not, then I mentally adjust from there. For example, if I need it to glide out but finish more overstable, I throw a Getaway. Or if the wind is picking up and I want less glide, I throw a Felon. Or if would need to power down a fairway to lower than my comfortable range, then instead I toss a Roc3 or Tursas.
So basically, I would recommend first locking onto one or two discs that you have the most confidence in. Throw those unless the shot shape you're envisioning cannot be comfortably executed with one of those discs.