Default Tunnelshots Avery Jenkins

Um....I don't know what to say.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2013, 09:33 AM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 87
Niced 39 Times in 26 Posts

I'll watch it when I get home, but I'll say this. For as much flak as he gets about his play in the woods, he's still probably much better than most of us. And he is a good teacher, so even if tunnel shots aren't a skill he hasn't perfected himself, it doesn't mean he can't teach the right strategies and techniques.

The best coaches aren't always the best players and vice versa.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:37 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 48 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradharris View Post
I'll watch it when I get home, but I'll say this. For as much flak as he gets about his play in the woods, he's still probably much better than most of us. And he is a good teacher, so even if tunnel shots aren't a skill he hasn't perfected himself, it doesn't mean he can't teach the right strategies and techniques.

The best coaches aren't always the best players and vice versa.
Very true. I'm sure he is infinitely better than I am on any shot. I just kinda find it funny Innova choose someone with such a notorious allergy to woods to do this video.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 42
Niced 127 Times in 86 Posts

Good video - I'm discovering the importance of the fan grip.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:50 AM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 25.2
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 519 Times in 253 Posts

Avery has won in Raleigh.

Completely ignoring the field that year (Feldberg, Hammock, Haney, Jernigan, Schweberger, Johansen and many others), you are talking about courses that don't fit him at all.

They played Buckhorn, which except for the two hyzers over the lake, is completely wooded. And they played Zebulon which is about 50% wooded.

I actually played with Avery two rounds that year - one round at both courses. And I had the same thought process as everyone else - "this guy is gonna struggle here." But I tell you what, his touch was amazing. I don't think I've ever seen a traditional power thrower so an Avair with so much touch. I even mentioned it to him after the round how impressed I was with his touch.

He has the game to compete in the woods. His worst enemy is his mental approach to wooded golf.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:52 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 118 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashiellx View Post
I just kinda find it funny Innova choose someone with such a notorious allergy to woods to do this video.
Notorious for that among whom? A few people on the internet who like to pile on him on message boards, largely because it makes them feel a tiny bit better about their own games? Avery is a former world champion. There aren't a whole lot of active players who would be more qualified than him to teach people about disc golf.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:06 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 57
Niced 55 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorseymatt View Post
Notorious for that among whom? A few people on the internet who like to pile on him on message boards, largely because it makes them feel a tiny bit better about their own games? Avery is a former world champion. There aren't a whole lot of active players who would be more qualified than him to teach people about disc golf.
26th in the world, rated 1019, former world champion... I could take him in the woods.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 385
Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts

Interesting choice of holes to demonstrate a tunnel shot. To me, that is an open shot with a chute for the last few feet. I suppose it was used for the screwed up depth perception that cameras give.

To me, the challenge of most tunnel shots is what is forced on me in the first 50-100'....navigating narrow gaps and the fear of the repercussions of missing those gaps. After disc selection, its all about being smooth, throwing at no more than 80-85% power, and focusing on hitting a spot in the air around 75' down the fairway.

That said, when I am confident I do not even "see" all the early trees early in the fairway. So it the hole might as well be the one shown. And, his advice is solid.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:20 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 6
Niced 7 Times in 7 Posts

My guide to tunnel shots:

1. If its safer to turn, grab a comet; safer to fade, grab a buzzz (or Roc)
2. Find the safest alley
3. Aim low and don't overpower the disc
4. Hope for the best

Old 09-24-2013, 10:30 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Niced 48 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorseymatt View Post
I'm not disagreeing with you on his ability as a teacher or golfer. All I'm mentioning is his "reputation". I've never made an opinion on that as I've never seen him golf in person. On videos I have seen, it does seem he losses his cool on some of the more tightly wooded shots.