Old 12-16-2014, 09:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 652 Times in 317 Posts

Ibex flys in the wind like a Comet flys in no wind, for me.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2014, 08:45 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Butlertron View Post
Does/would an Ibex beat into something similar to a Comet? I see them both on inbounds and I think it looks possible, but I'd like to know first hand from guys that bag them. I want something for hyzer-flip into turnovers like driving my Summit but longer. Is that a realistic expectation for a lightly seasoned Ibex or is more of a line holder?
I wouldn't think so. I've had my "flippy" medium Ibex for around two years, and it'll hyzer-flip to straight or have a gentle turn on a flat throw, but not hyzer-flip to a turnover. That's at around 250-260ft distance for me. A lightly seasoned one probably isn't going to do anything but go straight for a long while. Definitely more of a line-shaper.

And, yeah, everything gets beat into understable given enough time! The nice thing about Vibram is you can do the boiling water trick and you've just reset the stability!
Old 12-20-2014, 06:14 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 33.9
Courses Played: 30
Niced 109 Times in 68 Posts

After 20 years using a Shark as my primary mid-range, I picked up an Ibex to try. It flies much like a beat in Shark, which is what I was hoping for. It's a bit faster and so far hasn't shown an inclination to stand up and roll after a rough landing.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:13 AM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've always struggled with mids, a grip and power thing. I can throw my Wraiths consistently 300-325' on a stand still but can never seem to be consistent with a mid. I've been trying a Zombee as a mid and it works pretty good, however I'm still in the learning curve as far as the power level to give it which is frustrating. I found a 170F Ibex on the course yesterday with no name or number and gave it a few tosses in the field after I finished my round and it flew really nice. I had a 170M Ibex I threw for the longest time but it had the worst camo type pattern and I eventually lost it. Tried to replace it with a 176 which is more of a normal weight for me in the mid department and it just never flew the same.

What weights are you guys throwing and what do you find works best for you?

Side note, the wind blowing pretty good in my neck of the woods yesterday and into the wind I figured it would flip being so light but it just popped up ran flat with a slight turn right and coated right to the ground. Just really forgot how easy it the Ibex was to throw.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:27 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

My Ibexes have always been in the 173-175g range. They're one of those sneaky long midranges, that's for sure. It's a "do it all" stable disc, IMO.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:53 AM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennataos View Post
My Ibexes have always been in the 173-175g range. They're one of those sneaky long midranges, that's for sure. It's a "do it all" stable disc, IMO.
That's the disc I've been struggling to find, for backhand anyway. Nothing will ever replace a max weight Z Buzzz for my sidearm mid but I need a mid I can be that confident with on a BH. I've been up and down with my play and scores now for a long time and I'm retooling my bag with an emphasis on what I throw well and less on how many discs and molds I'm carrying. I've always been a minimalist when it comes to discs because I have bad knees and carrying 20 discs around just wasn't an option but I switched to the Lat64 backpack bag and have found I can load that thing up with plastic and not feel the weight in my knees at all, even on hilly courses. It's given me the chance to lock down my driver side of the bag but the workhorse mid still evades me.

But that Ibex flew just like how I remember my old one flying. Again, standing still into the wind and that thing was going every bit of 280-300'. Going back with the tailwind and that thing flew all day, a little anhy and some height to counteract the added stability and it bombed, nice slow and smooth flight.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 297
Niced 1,884 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Butlertron View Post
Does/would an Ibex beat into something similar to a Comet? I see them both on inbounds and I think it looks possible, but I'd like to know first hand from guys that bag them. I want something for hyzer-flip into turnovers like driving my Summit but longer. Is that a realistic expectation for a lightly seasoned Ibex or is more of a line holder?
I would say not. I'd asses the differences as follows:

1) Vibram's rubber compound really seems pretty durable in terms of maintaining original flight cahracteristics. I've been throwing mine for about a year and a half as my "go to mid," and it's nailed quite a few trees. It beat in, but only to point, and I don't think that point is all that different from it's original flight). Any way you slice it, still not as much turn as a slightly beat X-Comet.

2) While the Ibex goes pretty far, it just ain't got the gliiide a Comet does.

3) The Ibex isn't as OAT sensitive as the Comet.

I don't think any of these are inherenty better or worse. The two overlap quite a bit, but I'd say these are the key differences between them.

Just my $0.02 worth

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 12-22-2014 at 11:18 AM.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:35 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 42.1
Courses Played: 223
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 104 Times in 68 Posts

For a few years now I've been throwing Vibrams discs, but was not throwing an Ibex. This past summer I decided to try one out before the Worlds Birdie Bash, just to get the hang of it, because it was going to be one of the discs you got to use during the tournament.
Well, I found I liked the Ibex very much. It wasn't quite the turnover flick disc I was accustomed to with my Wolf, but it was workable. After a few weeks of using it, I actually bumped into an Ace with my Ibex, literally. The disc bumped off three trees before landing in the basket.
Since then I've really begun to appreciate how effortless the Ibex is to throw. It only takes a flick of the wrist (sidearm, as if) and the Ibex is floating towards the basket.