Old 06-30-2014, 11:32 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 31 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeblek View Post
I'm throwing my Valkyrie right at 300ft
Definitely don't try a Wraith, in that case. I'm throwing a bit over 300ft and for me a 166g Orion LS in their base plastic is absolute perfection.

I also wonder if your valk is a bit beat up, maybe it's just time for a new valk. My impression of the Beast is that it's similar to the Valk but a bit longer. It's also a bit less consistent though, with the DX Beast I never know if it's going to fade back after turning but the Valk always comes back for me.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2014, 12:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 732 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcnelly View Post
If that's the case maybe stay below speed 11 for now. Try an Orc.
When I was there, the only orc that was not a meathook for me was a pro. Once that thing got a slight beating, it was super long for me. Heck, I might even get one now just to see.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 29
Niced 208 Times in 131 Posts

I hate to disagree with my fellow MVP fan, but to me, the Tesla is not at all faster than a Valkyrie, and it's quite a bit more stable. If you just want to step up a bit in stability but keep something about the same speed, I suggest an Escape. They feel very much like a Valkyrie to me with just a touch more stability and quite a bit more glide.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 44
Niced 661 Times in 387 Posts

A new champion max weight Valk would probably be able to handle your power better than your current used 166g. I would try out one of those.

On word of caution. I used to have problems with OAT when I was throwing around 300 - 350 and kept getting more and more overstable discs to overcome the OAT. However, but I didn't really step up my distance until I slowed down my throws for a while and cleaned up my form and release. Then all of a sudden I could throw my less stable discs like the valkyrie much better and get much longer lines out of them.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 32
Niced 44 Times in 37 Posts

Another Valkyrie.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.2
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 900 Times in 323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardu View Post
Stick with the valk til you're 350+.

No offense to you, but I absolutely hate that advice. There are far too many companies and too many discs on the market to stick with just one until you hit some arbitrary distance milestone. I can get my Tern out to around 400' but if I kept throwing a Valkyrie until I hit 350' with it, I might have quit playing out of boredom.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:22 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 15 Times in 5 Posts

Personally I think sticking with a new Valk at 166 is good advice. You'll be familiar with it immediately and there's no reason it wouldn't be useful.

What I would do is try out your buddies' distance drivers if that's an option, and if one of them magically nets you significant distance without the loss of accuracy, then pick one of those up.

I give this advice because to me it's better to stick with a safe bet while your technique is improving than to go out and buy every new "ultra long distance magical driver" in the hopes that you'll throw farther with them.

A star Valk can more than handle that distance with clean form and fly a variety of lines, season beautifully and become even more useful as you gain power.

Just my opinion. If you have the disposable income, try a renegade, escape, s-pd, tern, surge(my personal choice as a slightly OS compliment to the Valkyrie), missilen or whatever new max d driver they're pushing nowadays and enjoy yourself.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 48
Niced 732 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
No offense to you, but I absolutely hate that advice. There are far too many companies and too many discs on the market to stick with just one until you hit some arbitrary distance milestone. I can get my Tern out to around 400' but if I kept throwing a Valkyrie until I hit 350' with it, I might have quit playing out of boredom.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:11 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah my valk is definitely beat in which is causing the turnover but when it's fairly new I just can't break past that 300 with it.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:24 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 31 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeblek View Post
Yeah my valk is definitely beat in which is causing the turnover but when it's fairly new I just can't break past that 300 with it.
If you just can't break past 300 with a Valk, then trying a new disc isn't going to help, at least that's my experience from spending a lot of time around that distance and trying lots of discs. The Valk is pretty perfect for someone throwing around 300ft (in lighter weights like mid to upper 160s), anything faster will just be impossible to get up to cruising speed. You might have some small percentage of freak throws that go further with a slightly faster and more overstable disc, but every time you throw it you won't really know what it's going to do because you won't be able to get it up to speed reliably all the time.

Personally, I liked the DX Beast more than the DX Valk (around 165/166g) when I was struggling to consistently break 300ft, because it flew marginally further but seemed to have the same power requirement (even though Innova rates it as one speed faster). But once I was pretty consistently breaking 300ft it would often turn too much and not fade back.