Old 07-02-2015, 12:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,371 Times in 1,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Um... View Post
I ditched the River for the FD and have never looked back. The River was waaaay too nose angle sensitive and really difficult to range. It would usually glide past my target and when I would power it down, it became unpredictable.

The FD has tons of glide but is way easier to range accurately and is much more forgiving of nose angle inconsistencies. It's one of the best, most underrated fairways out there imo.
Yeah I've thrown a friend's SFD a bit...was pretty straight when new but now it's beat and when I've tried it recently it's too touchy. I gained 50'+ in that time plus it got wear, so big differences. Great disc though, was like a more trustworthy River from the start. I've always been on the lookout to try a CFD when someone I play with has one, but haven't spotted one yet. Basically how the new SFD flew when I had that power level is how I would like a CFD to be.

Then again, I'm not looking to replace a Teebird, just supplement it...but new plastic is always fun. I'm impressed with the FD. The River is capable of amazing lines...it just seems like I only make it do that 30% of the time, but it's enough to make me think "what if it will work..." too much. From seeing the FD fly often, it seems more consistent.

If I had more woodsy holes around here that were over 300' I'd be more concerned, but usually a Teebird can handle most fairway lines for me. In lots of courses something like the FD would be so useful I imagine.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2015, 01:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 217 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Yeah I've thrown a friend's SFD a bit...was pretty straight when new but now it's beat and when I've tried it recently it's too touchy. I gained 50'+ in that time plus it got wear, so big differences. Great disc though, was like a more trustworthy River from the start. I've always been on the lookout to try a CFD when someone I play with has one, but haven't spotted one yet. Basically how the new SFD flew when I had that power level is how I would like a CFD to be.

Then again, I'm not looking to replace a Teebird, just supplement it...but new plastic is always fun. I'm impressed with the FD. The River is capable of amazing lines...it just seems like I only make it do that 30% of the time, but it's enough to make me think "what if it will work..." too much. From seeing the FD fly often, it seems more consistent.

If I had more woodsy holes around here that were over 300' I'd be more concerned, but usually a Teebird can handle most fairway lines for me. In lots of courses something like the FD would be so useful I imagine.
Yep, a C-Line is what you want. I don't have a ton of throws with the 5th run, but I think you'd dig a 3rd/4th run, for sure. Bit more HSS than the S-Lines.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:44 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 130
Niced 85 Times in 36 Posts

Late to the FD party and only have one, (c-line, no clue what run . . .) but it's been an interesting disc since as I've aged I've gravitated toward flippier (<- hard to believe this website doesn't recognize "flippier" as a word . . . . sigh, next it'll say "hyzer" isn't a word . . . . <DOH> [face palm]!!) discs and after a few throws thought the FD was too overstable (<- really? not a word? but "DOH" is? so sad . . . .) but after getting a hang of how straight it flies and how it just doesn't finish with much turn it's very useful in the short, heavily wooded courses I play.

I can't get it much past a roc, and if I need lots of distance, I flip up an echo star roadrunner. But the FD is marching toward a higher percentage of 2's when I need fairway driver distance. It's more accurate/same-distance for me to throw an FD forehand as a hyzer-flipped (<-woulda been great if that were in there!! ) backhand stingray . . . .although the stingray is way more fun to watch when thrown correctly . . . .

Wow that post is confusing -- just saying.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:32 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,336 Times in 637 Posts

I prefer the TL

The FD is too shallow and has a funny feeling rim to me.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:33 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,815 Times in 1,365 Posts

Both the TL and FD are really, really good discs (and the TL3 is also good), and it may just come down to grip and feel when one is deciding which one to bag. There are a ton of other discs in this speed and stability area that are great also, such as the Leopard3. The best part is that we get to have fun trying them out and bagging the one we like best.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:58 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 348 Times in 199 Posts

I really am not much of a fan of the TL. I stopped throwing one a while ago, and though my experience was limited to a Champ I threw a bit and a used Star. They got knocked out of my bag when my Star Teebird seasoned up to fill the roll and complimented by a C-line FD (3rd or 4th run maybe?).

The beat Star TB has a similar flight but has a bit better HSS and more resistant to a head wind. The ability for the FD to do wonderful things in a tailwind is part of what I love.
I have a better ability to control the FD, hyzerflips and such. The TL I really had to muscle it too much to get it to flip up. I had too much of a tendency to not get it to flip up and end up throwing a big off line hyzer... or flip it over and lose it right. Probably the fiddler not the fiddle here though.

As far as FD vs River, my River is waaay more situational. Its not in my bag on my home course but the FD is whether it is my full bag or I cut down to 5 discs. River is almost a utility disc for me.