Old 10-31-2014, 07:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 233 Times in 152 Posts
Default Consistency of mold

I hear it in discussion of every brand: 2 discs, same mold and weight, fly differently.

PLH, dome, even color are cited are often cited as culprits for these irregularities.

Is there a brand you feel has an above average rate of consistency in their product?

I'd like to hear about it.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2014, 07:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 34
Niced 162 Times in 61 Posts

ib4mvp/axiom

MVP/Axiom

Old 10-31-2014, 07:49 PM
FROLF OFF!

Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,087 Times in 730 Posts

as someone who has ordered multiple wholesale shipments of MVP discs I can say 1/32 is flawed cosmetically but more often than not PLH and especially dome are always the same.

No such thing as a pop top MVP disc on the market and with increased production/lineup the products actually are coming out more consistently compared to older previous molds and runs. Another great point of MVP's is the fact many molds are available in weight ranges from 150-170 while staying exactly the same shape/stock run.

All companies have their issues but I have found some of the least with MVP and handled a good amount of the discs. Obviously I would say all this though riiiiiiiiight?!

Last edited by Aim For The Chains; 10-31-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 34
Niced 162 Times in 61 Posts

Seriously though, I do think that MVP/Axiom is the most consistent across all of the molds I've thrown. Even more impressive is that the discs fly very similarly between the 2 lines of their plastic. Almost all companies acknowledge, and we've come to expect, that you'll get some variation between different plastic types, but seemingly little to no variation with MVP/Axiom discs.

I threw both Axes and Anodes for a long time and gave the Envy a legitimate tryout to make the bag, but don't use their discs anymore outside of giving something a test run or just practicing with. They still definitely get my vote for being the most consistent.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 140
Niced 1,108 Times in 552 Posts

[QUOTE=Um...;2613185]Seriously though, I do think that MVP/Axiom is the most consistent across all of the molds I've thrown. Even more impressive is that the discs fly very similarly between the 2 lines of their plastic. Almost all companies acknowledge, and we've come to expect, that you'll get some variation between different plastic types, but seemingly little to no variation with MVP/Axiom discs.[QUOTE]

I agree that MVP/Axiom are the most consistent. However, I don't see how both plastic types flying the same (except with the Tesla, IMO) is a good thing. I'd sure prefer to have two discs, same mold, feel, shape, weight with different stabilities just by switching plastic.

Sorry for the drift.

As to the question actually asked - MVP/Axiom.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 162
Niced 1,381 Times in 816 Posts

discraft has been the most consistent for me and z in indestructible. well i basically only throw them and innova/discmania.

however its awesome discmania can acknowledge different stabilities in run to run, and they will tell you which run the disc is on their store website and how it will fly. so they make up for it there and its almost better cuz you can choose your mold and in what stability it starts off with.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 46
Niced 2,954 Times in 1,282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
discraft has been the most consistent for me and z in indestructible. well i basically only throw them and innova/discmania.

however its awesome discmania can acknowledge different stabilities in run to run, and they will tell you which run the disc is on their store website and how it will fly. so they make up for it there and its almost better cuz you can choose your mold and in what stability it starts off with.
I'll agree with this. Every Discraft disc I've thrown has been pretty true to what it was supposed to do.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 16
Niced 152 Times in 105 Posts

Mvp/axiom, then discraft.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:31 PM
FROLF OFF!

Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,087 Times in 730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
I'll agree with this. Every Discraft disc I've thrown has been pretty true to what it was supposed to do.
except not all zones are the same, comets, nukes, buzzes etc. DC is fine but not nearly as great as seems to be touted on this site. I threw them first starting out playing disc golf really and you will find differences like innova really. Opaque to clear discs make a big difference as well as dome convave/flat tops vs domey runs of many different discs from forces to comets. Given their production amount they are better than innova but IMO the standards for disc golf manufacturing in general compared to other injection molding plastics companies in other industries is laughable.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 162
Niced 1,381 Times in 816 Posts

I guess in the molds i throw its been consistent cept the buzz.

but wasp, hornet, meteor, stalker all have been money for me. i can order one blindly online and know how it will fly. 100% confidence.