Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 01-06-2015, 08:46 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I love the mamba for rollers and tailwind drives. The unlace was almost so understable that it was unusable for even rollers. If the mamba does prove to fast you could also check out the monarch.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2015, 09:27 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 33
Niced 6 Times in 6 Posts

If you are throwing a beat leopard 300', you can probably work with a more stable disc than a Mamba or similar. Consider a star Tern, Renegade, or a beat P-PD to name a few. Go with lighter weight discs and get the speed up instead of heavier discs that are more floppy.

Like most people, I delved too deeply into distance drivers as I was learning, and it stunted my advancement for a while. Watch a few good Grandmaster or Legend players - they'll score rounds well above a 900 rating, but never throw further than 350'
Old 01-06-2015, 09:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 20
Niced 6 Times in 6 Posts

My advice (for what it's worth) is to try a DX Teebird and/or a Star Valkyrie around 165gr. Both are better long term discs and when the valk is beat to death, it makes a far more accurate roller than the Mamba.

I had a champ Mamba for a while (found it and traded it off a month later), was fun to toss around a bit but I could throw my Valk on a hyzer flip just as far and with a lot more accuracy.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:42 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 6 Times in 6 Posts

My vote is unlace under close supervision..... About a year into playing I picked up a 131 katana (for a floater and b/c I didn't have any high speed understable discs). I brought it out and tried to throw it flat a few times. Turn and burn..... Went in the trunk. After another year or so, and kind of getting an understanding of stability, I decided to take it out and discovered the hyzerflip to be able to throw tunnel shots. This disc was great from standstill. As I improved and was putting more torque on the disc. I picked up a mid 160s unlace because the flight path was similar to the katana, but I can kind of crank on it. I have to hit it right, but when I do, I get my largest distance out of it. If an experienced player can keep a close eye on the user, this may work. Although - much mid and putter work should be done first (how bout a summit?). My understable putter I drive with on putter only rounds.....
Old 01-06-2015, 10:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,371 Times in 1,519 Posts

I say check out a DX Teebird in a more normal weight than your Leo. Seriously, they bomb far and actually glide. Plus they will keep you throwing properly. The only downside is they will wear in like your Leo has, but some people like that to an extent. The better plastics will be significantly more beefy for you...and although that is good for control, that will cost some distance.

If you really want a high speed disc to try out go for it...but I will say it may not go much further and it will be way harder to throw. They don't glide unless they are up to speed, and will fade harder than their numbers suggest if not up to speed. For example a star Vulcan which is rated as being very understable had a big fade for me until it was thrown with ~350' of power. At around that level it got super flippy and acted like the numbers. Past that it needs a big hyzer flip. There is a massive "speed stability" factor with those high speed discs even if the mold is supposed to be understable.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:57 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Mamba 170 in champion plastic.

Get a star Sidewinder too for comparison. Valk/SW makes a great pair.