Old 08-19-2015, 11:22 AM
Reptilian Disc Golf

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 14
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 515 Times in 202 Posts

Had our Trilogy Challenge over the weekend and the Sampo was a great performer for me.

I am a medium-high power arm (400 ft. distance drive potential) and I really liked the flight of this disc.
I received a 170g Pink Sampo and on full power rips I found a slight amount of flip paired with a forward finish.

I was also able to coax some low flying hyzers, panning anny's and reliable straight to fade lines.
One shot that the Sampo didn't do well was the huge spike hyzer. It seems to glide out a bit too much and often stalled at the apex instead of biting back down to earth.

Overall the Sampo was a pleasant surprise for me. I'd rate is around a 10 speed with -1 turn and a 2 fade. Not a meat hook but definitely a reliable workhorse control driver. I likely won't bag one as I already do well with my Crave/Wrath duo but this disc does have a pretty flight. I'd bet this becomes a Trilogy rig staple.

Good Work Westside
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2015, 11:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 233 Times in 152 Posts

Sampo is my new windy day headwind driver - I got a heavy one and it has a lot of beef. Love the Elasto plastic.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:01 PM
Reptilian Disc Golf

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 14
Niced 515 Times in 202 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
Sampo is my new windy day headwind driver - I got a heavy one and it has a lot of beef. Love the Elasto plastic.
Yeah Elasto is great.
I love firm putters and mids but I love a nice grippy, pliable driver.

This was my first experience with Trilogy's gummy blend and I dig it.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 64
Niced 143 Times in 60 Posts

VIP Sampo launching Friday 9/25
Old 09-17-2015, 12:15 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 34 Times in 24 Posts

cant wait for this disc in VIP!
Old 09-17-2015, 08:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 49
Niced 456 Times in 308 Posts

I was very surprised with the Sampo being that this was released for the "Grow the Sport" Trilogy Challenge and it's supposed to be an event for new players to get a new experience. This is not by any means a beginner's disc.

However, in more experienced hands, this is a nice driver. Not the warp speeds that most of us are used to throwing, but a very comfortable fairway. Flies like a slightly more OS Saint (which I love)

First thing I noticed was the Elasto plastic. GREAT gummy, grippy, semi-soft premium plastic. A mix between Star and Champion from Innova or a slightly softer Prodigy 400s. Nicely rounded shoulder and lip under the wing, mild dome, slightly thinner feeling flightplate - pushing more of the weight to the wing. This likely helps create the great glide.

Thrown flat, this starts out with a very, very slight turn - about 3-4 degrees - then holds a straight line for a respectable distance before a solid fade. Thrown with a hyzer, this will kick out for a MONSTER spike! It crashes into the ground like a meteor. Useful utility, but only unique situational use. Where the Sampo shines is the flex lines. Thrown with anhyzer, the glide is phenomenal! (As most Trilogy drivers are) Think of a Saint Pro with an afterburner. Speed 10, Glide 5-6, Turn .5, Fade 2.5

"The fade is strong with this one." A fact which a lot of people found as a negative, however, this makes for a much more predictable flight, which I love. Moreover, this also gives a very healthy skip. I was able to get about 10-15 feet extra on some of these skips. Very helpful in the right situation.

All in all, this is a great low speed driver/fairway for reliable, repeatable response. Good controlled fade, little turn, loads of glide. Measured with UDisc, I was averaging about 340'-350' which is pretty good for my fairway shots. I max out around 400' with a D2, for reference.

I love the Sampo. My 170g Teal Metal Flake Sampo went straight into the bag. If you like OS low speed drivers, the release at the end of the month will be WELL worth checking out!

Cheers.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Damn... Infinite has the updated pages, pictures, and today is the release date, but it won't allow you to order yet...

I want that VIP Sampo!
Old 09-25-2015, 09:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 64
Niced 143 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reniger View Post
Damn... Infinite has the updated pages, pictures, and today is the release date, but it won't allow you to order yet...

I want that VIP Sampo!
They all launch at 12PMET, couple more hours! I'm ready!
Old 09-25-2015, 12:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 18
Niced 512 Times in 378 Posts

I have been looking for a disc like this, basically I use a Starfire, Krait, Beat up Pulse for this slot now, I hope this disc delivers

the numbers I wanted were 10-11/4-5/0/2

so looking at it, i think this sucker may be it, How does it feel in the hand? some discs I just cant do because they are too pointy or have too much curve on the top and it slides the disc weird...idk, disc golf rules, work blos

Old 09-25-2015, 01:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasOrion View Post
I have been looking for a disc like this, basically I use a Starfire, Krait, Beat up Pulse for this slot now, I hope this disc delivers

the numbers I wanted were 10-11/4-5/0/2

so looking at it, i think this sucker may be it, How does it feel in the hand? some discs I just cant do because they are too pointy or have too much curve on the top and it slides the disc weird...idk, disc golf rules, work blos
Good hand feel. Not sharp at all, smooth rim on both outer and under wing, mild dome, but fairly flat. Similar feel to a Saint. The Elasto plastic was very nice but got QUITE soft in heat, so I'm really looking forward to VIP.