Old 09-09-2017, 06:34 AM

Niced 14 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric40817 View Post
When you say its the longest disc, longer than your Tern, what are your flat ground golf distances? When you say sidewind, you mean left to right?
Wow sorry for taking half a year to read your post..

My longest throw (TP Destiny) was over 500feet on a hyzerflip. The disc ended up a bit right from where I tee'd off though (aka never had a chance to completely fade back from its turn).

On average I can throw a Destiny 400 feet more or less controlled. It's been so long now since I threw a Tern that I can't really say for sure what my distance would be, but it was probably up to 400.

In headwind on a good pull my TP Destiny will turn and burn. In sidewind it wont come out of its turn (both left and right wind I think).
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2019, 10:56 AM

Years Playing: 1.5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 9 Times in 5 Posts

I bought a vip 175g Destiny awhile back after reading all the hype. It actually weighed 177g. It was a bit of a meat hook at first. Then it broke in and I was able to throw it. Interesting how it looks identical to my relatives katana placed side by side on a table. I like how you can throw it low to the ground and long hyzers. Goes as far my Beast. I hope to gain a little more distance with practice for the hyzer shots.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:59 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 23
Niced 357 Times in 218 Posts

Destiny is an interesting disc. Was the first disc I could consistently break 300' with, but as I added power it became a disc that required significant hyzer angle to fly well. Eventually I replaced it with a King and demoted the Destiny to my travel bag, and promptly lost it on a trip to KC. The Destiny, and discs like it, are useful as new and/or lower power throwers get used to wide-rimmed drivers. Personally my progression went:

1. Destiny as max distance driver
2. Destiny as hyzerflip disc or long turnover disc
3. King (slightly more stable than Destiny) as hyzerflip disc or long turnover disc
4. Vanish (slower than King and maybe a touch more stable) as hyzerflip disc or long turnover disc
5. Currently considering no longer bagging a super flippy distance driver

I'm not one of those people that says you need to throw mids 300' before you can find high speed stuff useful. A disc like the Destiny certainly added distance for me back when I could only throw mids 200'-225'. But it is also a disc that I think will only be useful for a relatively short period of time for players that are steadily improving. I'm now at a point where I realize a disc that flies super far and finishes hard right hurts my scorecard more often than it helps.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-02-2019, 01:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 632 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discgolfer48 View Post
I bought a vip 175g Destiny awhile back after reading all the hype. It actually weighed 177g. It was a bit of a meat hook at first. Then it broke in and I was able to throw it. Interesting how it looks identical to my relatives katana placed side by side on a table. I like how you can throw it low to the ground and long hyzers. Goes as far my Beast. I hope to gain a little more distance with practice for the hyzer shots.
The Destiny may be a bit much for you yet if its only going as far as your Beast. As far as the Katana comparison, I find the Destiny to be a little flippier than a Katana. It also doesn't have as much late fade. The Katana also has a wider, shallower rim than the Destiny.

Once you start going above 400' the Destiny gets wildly flippy. You have to put a lot of hyzer on it to keep it in the air. Its an extraordinarily long disc. I've had some of my absolute longest rips with a Destiny.

I don't bag one. Its too wild and flippy for me. I will occasionally take a Destiny to the field to practice hyzerflips with. For on-course understable driving I use a Shryke instead. Little more consistent than the Destiny and every bit as long.

Old 03-02-2019, 01:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
Destiny is an interesting disc. Was the first disc I could consistently break 300' with, but as I added power it became a disc that required significant hyzer angle to fly well. Eventually I replaced it with a King and demoted the Destiny to my travel bag, and promptly lost it on a trip to KC. The Destiny, and discs like it, are useful as new and/or lower power throwers get used to wide-rimmed drivers. Personally my progression went:

1. Destiny as max distance driver
2. Destiny as hyzerflip disc or long turnover disc
3. King (slightly more stable than Destiny) as hyzerflip disc or long turnover disc
4. Vanish (slower than King and maybe a touch more stable) as hyzerflip disc or long turnover disc
5. Currently considering no longer bagging a super flippy distance driver

I'm not one of those people that says you need to throw mids 300' before you can find high speed stuff useful. A disc like the Destiny certainly added distance for me back when I could only throw mids 200'-225'. But it is also a disc that I think will only be useful for a relatively short period of time for players that are steadily improving. I'm now at a point where I realize a disc that flies super far and finishes hard right hurts my scorecard more often than it helps.
I agree with almost all of this. I feel like the Destiny is a good disc for guys who throw 325'ish and are looking to start getting 350-375'. It will maximize low arm speeds and go a long, long way without a ton of effort. However, once you start nearing 400' the Destiny becomes a huge liability and is very hard to keep from flipping. You'll need a LOT of hyzer angle to keep it flat.

That said, I found the King every bit as flippy/maddening as the Destiny. For me those 2 discs do exactly the same thing. Flippy, glidey bombers. Honestly, I never gelled with any of Westside's drivers. The Giant is pretty good, but inconsistent. The World is HORRIBLY inconsistent (some are flippy, some are beefy).

I agree about the Vanish. Very underrated disc. Its obviously slower than a Destiny, but I found it nearly as long. More stable too. Less prone to flipping.

Old 03-02-2019, 02:49 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 907 Times in 604 Posts

I throw Kings and there are certainly flippy uncontrollable Kings out there, but there also exist ones that while they have some turn they also can fade as well. I seek those out and have about 4 around the house at the moment.

Having said that I also picked up a Sheriff that was very cheap recentlyas a water disc and it’s very impressive.

The Destiny for me was good, but it didn’t do anything I couldnt do with the King. So no go for me.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
I throw Kings and there are certainly flippy uncontrollable Kings out there, but there also exist ones that while they have some turn they also can fade as well. I seek those out and have about 4 around the house at the moment.

Having said that I also picked up a Sheriff that was very cheap recentlyas a water disc and it’s very impressive.

The Destiny for me was good, but it didn’t do anything I couldnt do with the King. So no go for me.
I like the Sheriff more than either the King or Destiny. The Sheriff has some high speed turn, but isn't ridiculously flippy. It will come back and fade late in flight.

I HAVE thrown a couple lousy Sheriffs though. They bomb right and never even think about coming back.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:43 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 163
Niced 2,139 Times in 1,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
This is true. Those Kings are a good bit more stable than Destinys but I think generally the Destiny is just a tick more stable than the many flippy Kings. I mean marginally more.

I'm used to the King for my big uphill distance/massive tailwind/runaway turnover/roller shots but I could easily put a Destiny in for that slot.

Old 03-02-2019, 11:29 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,852 Times in 1,388 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discgolfer48 View Post
The Destiny is a good disc, but I took it out of my bag for two reasons:
1) the rim was just uncomfortably wide.
2) it was beyond my point of diminishing returns: I really wasn't getting it any farther than my Terns.