Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 04-19-2016, 06:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 631 Times in 377 Posts
Default "Trilogy" better distance than Innova?

Around my neck of the woods (DFW) I've had a few peeps say Trilogy plastic gives you more distance compared to Innova. Here's my 3 main discs: G* Mako3, G* Leopard, G* Tern.

Just curious what the Trilogy replacements would be and if there would be any real difference? Thx.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2016, 06:52 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 12 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
Around my neck of the woods (DFW) I've had a few peeps say Trilogy plastic gives you more distance compared to Innova. Here's my 3 main discs: G* Mako3, G* Leopard, G* Tern.

Just curious what the Trilogy replacements would be and if there would be any real difference? Thx.
I suppose this sentiment comes from the better glide that Trilogy stuff usually has. It has it's benefits, but on the other hand they are generally not quite as reliable in the wind.

In your case I would look at:
Mako3 => Opto Fuse
Leopard => River
Tern => Destiny or TP King

I think that all of these replacements would be glidier than the Innova counter part, but whether they work for you is anyones guess.

Niced: (2)
Old 04-19-2016, 07:19 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 54 Times in 34 Posts

I think the new Ballista is very much like the tern
Old 04-19-2016, 07:26 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,816 Times in 1,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaques View Post
I suppose this sentiment comes from the better glide that Trilogy stuff usually has. It has it's benefits, but on the other hand they are generally not quite as reliable in the wind.
In your case I would look at:
Mako3 => Opto Fuse
Leopard => River
Tern => Destiny or TP King
I agree that the Lat64 higher glide discs can equate to more distance. However, the DD Renegade is NOT longer than the Tern, IMHO (and that is through my experience with the discs).

The River is longer than the Leopard not only in glide but in speed. The River is more like the TL than the Leopard, again IMHO. But considering that there is nothing from Trilogy right around the Leopard, then the River is probably the closest comparison available.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:28 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 7
Niced 269 Times in 161 Posts

The Leopard sits in a weird place IMO. Speed 6 is very uncommon, when you grab a Leo it kind of feels like a very low rimmed midrange. The rim is so narrow! Most other manifactorers don't focus on speed 6 discs
Old 04-19-2016, 07:29 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 108
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 192 Times in 108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaques View Post
Leopard => River
I have to disagree, maybe if it's beat in, but a Maul fits the bill for that spot. Plus the extra glide... Understable work horse.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-19-2016, 07:36 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,087 Times in 730 Posts

Those locals are trolling you.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:46 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 20
Niced 73 Times in 51 Posts

(Insert the typical Trilogy throwers are cult followers and drink the kool-aid post here)

I say give it a shot, see how they fly for you and make your own assessment as to what works best for you. I tried Lat 64 and DD drivers but didn't have that same snap and distance with them as I do my destroyers and bosses. Top DFW players aren't all throwing Trilogy...if they magically gave you more distance don't you think they'd be throwing it?

Niced: (2)
Old 04-19-2016, 07:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 48
Niced 723 Times in 504 Posts

Love Trilogy, but nothing yet beats a Tern. For me anyway.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:26 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 5
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've only thrown a hand full of trilogy stuff, but I can say the River is worth trying out. I agree with SD86, the River to me feels like Teebird-L with extra glide. I bag a gold line river for calm days when I feel like a need a touch more distance than my TL can get me.

As far as replacing, dunno I am mainly an innova thrower as well. I bag a Mako3, Leo3 and a Tern:

Mako3 - Has become a go to mid for me, great for shaping all kinds of shots. If I had to pick a trilogy disc, I would give a Claymore a try. I know they have different numbers but I've heard good things about them. (Touch under-stable and a straight flier)

Leo3 - Another disc I've come to love, I love to power it down for soft S-turn or power it up on a hyzer and watch it fly for days. I can't think of a disc that I would replace this with or even a disc I would like to try. (sorry no help there)

Tern - I picked one up in starlite which is way to over-stable for my liking, I really want to try one in Star or GStar plastic. If I had to replace it or try a new disc in Trilogy's line, I would try a Destiny. (Chances are I'd buy another Tern in the aforementioned plastic first)