Old 05-09-2016, 05:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 539 Times in 310 Posts
Default Trilogy Challenge 2016 discs

So here we are again. About time for another Trilogy Challenge. This is the place to post about your thoughts on the three discs. I know it is a little early, but if anyone has any early info for what to expect, please let the rest of us know.

Latitude 64 Opto Falchion (driver): 1.9 cm rim, which is the same as the Saint, Thunderbird, and Thief to give you an idea of the speed, although Latitude has it grouped with the speed 7 fairways in their catalogue. But they don't seem to categorize speed based purely on the rim width, so take it with a grain of salt.

Westside Discs Tournament Sling (midrange): Not really much to go on here. Probably a neutral to slightly understable disc like the Claymore and Evidence the last two years, but just a guess.

Dynamic Discs Prime Marshal (putter): Under the Trilogy Combined Flight Chart on http://www.dynamicdiscs.com/downloads/dynamic-discs/
you can see the Marshal is listed as being a speed 3 that is slightly more stable than the Shield and under the same stability column as the Suspect and Mace. If I had to guess, this would be beaded since the Shield is not, but that is just a guess.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2016, 11:10 AM

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

A more stable putter does sound nice. The Shield was nice but once it beat in the stability went away fast. Hoping the sling is a stable midrange because I am sick of the understable midranges for the challenge. And the driver sounds like a good one that you dont have a to have a cannon of an arm to throw it!
Old 05-10-2016, 11:23 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 25.1
Courses Played: 23
Niced 42 Times in 30 Posts

I'm trying to understand a 5 5 0 1 Westside disc...

So it's exactly like a Warship, only one click slower - according to those numbers...

Wha?? So I'd pick that one when I want the same flight as my 'ship, but 20 feet shorter? Sorry, does not compute. Besides, don't we already have the Evidence and Compass in that EXACT same slot?

Meanwhile, WS has very little (other than the new Longbowman) on the OVER stable side of fairway drivers. I love me some Westside, but DAMN those guys seem to enjoy cranking out a ton of very similar discs instead of diversifying their lineup with new stuff.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 49
Niced 455 Times in 307 Posts

According to InfiniteDiscs...

Falchion: 9/6/-1/2
Sling: 4/5/-1/0
Marshal: 3/3/-1/1

Personally, I love the Elasto Sampos, but it looks like they got the public opinion from last year and went more neutral to understable.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:39 PM
Big Country

Years Playing: 28.1
Courses Played: 52
Niced 184 Times in 104 Posts

Marshal will be fun to fart around with.
Falchion will work well for the course our club is holding the Trilogy Challenge at, but I can already tell it won't make my bag.
Sling sounds like bunk. Sorry not sorry. Lightly overstable mids and I do not get along...i'm an old grump who is stuck in my ways with beat-in Rocs.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:54 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 34 Times in 24 Posts

Looks like I will be throwing the marshall and sling at the trilogy challenge. And the falchion not once.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 18
Niced 539 Times in 310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reniger View Post
According to InfiniteDiscs...

Falchion: 9/6/-1/2
Sling: 4/5/-1/0
Marshal: 3/3/-1/1

Personally, I love the Elasto Sampos, but it looks like they got the public opinion from last year and went more neutral to understable.
I can see the numbers for the other two, but -1,1 for a stable putter. Especially based on the flight chart that DD release (by the way, I feel like this is pretty accurate for most of the Trilogy discs I have thrown and ignores some of the goofier numbers some discs have on them. I am looking at you King). I would really be surprised if those are the numbers it is given (also DD usually is better about their discs' flight numbers being closer to what most people expect).
Old 05-10-2016, 04:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 49
Niced 455 Times in 307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhayes7 View Post
I can see the numbers for the other two, but -1,1 for a stable putter. Especially based on the flight chart that DD release (by the way, I feel like this is pretty accurate for most of the Trilogy discs I have thrown and ignores some of the goofier numbers some discs have on them. I am looking at you King). I would really be surprised if those are the numbers it is given (also DD usually is better about their discs' flight numbers being closer to what most people expect).
I tend to take any numbers Westside/L64 put out and knock them 2 ticks to the understable side. DD is a little better, but not much. Sword, Sorcerer, Halo, Riot, all much more understable in my experience. So, to see the Marshal as a -1/1 and billed as "more stable" sounds about right to me. Judges are pretty well dead straight with a mild fade, even if this has more HST when driving with it, but has more LSF when putting, I'd be happy.

To me, it looks like they are all going to be significantly more US than my liking. The Falchion having a glide of 6, rated stability of -1/2 in my experience with Trilogy, that means wind will absolutely eat this puppy alive! If it's a calm day though, could be a solid hyzerflip disc for the Challenge. I'm hoping the Sling will be neutral enough to behave like my Prodigy M4s. Understable, but workable. Still doesn't look like they'll handle power too well. May have to see how workable the Falchion is when powered down. The Marshall, meh. I've never had any problems with Judges or Wardens. They're both solid putters, just not my personal preference, but I'm sure the Marshal will be right in line with the other DD putters and work just fine for the Challenge.

Basically, I'm hopeful for the Falchion to hyzerflip well, but don't look forward to wind. The Sling looks too understable for much more than gentle approaches, and the Marshal will be fine, I'm sure. We'll see here soon! I'd kill for either an OS Driver or Mid on these Challenges, though.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 12
Niced 131 Times in 93 Posts

Falchion sounds like a Saint....

Basically I will use the Marshal and Sling on all the holes since the coarse that the local challenge is on is short. Going to have to get creative for the holes I usually throw my Viper on.

I hope the Marshal isn't some stupid shallow putter.

Last edited by 93EXCivic; 05-10-2016 at 04:24 PM.

Old 05-10-2016, 04:24 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 34 Times in 24 Posts

There is a review of the trilogy discs on youtube. The Marshall looks pretty darn close to a shield, though since it has a micro bead it might feel better in the hand for most people.