Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 02-12-2017, 11:08 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 22
Niced 25 Times in 16 Posts
Default Discmania disc equivalents to Innova?

Hey everyone. I'm sure this has been asked, but I cant find anything. Maybe for good reason?! (sorry if this is a dumb question)

Are there some general equivalencies between any of the Discmania and Innova discs?

I have a mostly Innova and Discraft bag, but would like to check out some Discmania discs and don't want to "duplicate" anything I might already own...

I really enjoy Star plastic for most of my drivers, and Star or Champion for my mids.

I also don't have a huge arm, so I'm throwing mostly 167-171g drivers (169 Wraith is my longest disc at the moment, as well as a 170'ish) Discraft Thrasher which turns over quite a bit but on wide open holes it's giving me same disftance as my Wraith). If there are no direct or generally accepted "equivalents" between the two brands, can anyone recommend a good distance driver for me? Also maybe a very overstable mid? I'm mostly RHBH, but can throw RHFH when I need to.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2017, 11:54 AM
Par Member

Niced 9 Times in 8 Posts

Star=S-Line, Champion=C-Line
some of the discs throw similar b/tw Innova and Discmania, but there is a solid amount of difference. Maybe you can tell us what you currently throw and we can cancel out any Discmania that match what you throw, or maybe tell us what you're thinking of replacing from your bag and we can try and find an equivalent
Old 02-12-2017, 11:56 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,818 Times in 1,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfghan View Post
Are there some general equivalencies between any of the Discmania and Innova discs?

I have a mostly Innova and Discraft bag, but would like to check out some Discmania discs and don't want to "duplicate" anything I might already own...

I really enjoy Star plastic for most of my drivers, and Star or Champion for my mids.
Innova and Discmania are all but the same company. Innova makes many of the Discmania molds (if not all of them). Innova sells Discmania factory seconds on the Innova Proshop site. S-Line is Star plastic, C-Line is Champion plastic, and so on.

As to overlap, they try not to directly overlap each other, though some discs are close. For example, the Discmania P2 and Innova Aviar are extremely similar, but the P2 is a wee bit more overstable than the Aviar.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-12-2017, 11:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 83 Times in 74 Posts

Niced: (1)
Old 02-12-2017, 12:03 PM
Par Member

Niced 9 Times in 8 Posts

none of the discs between the two fly the exact same, but the ones that are similar that i can think of right off the bat are:
XCaliber=PD2
DDx=broken in Destroyer (Supposed to be, i think its similar to a Tern cause it'll flip a little)
DD=Krait
PD=starts off as an OS Thunderbird but beats in to everyone's favorite driver from Discmania
TD2=Roadrunner/Monarch/High Speed US disc
FD3=Firebird
FD2=Teebird with less glide
MD3=Roc/Roc3
MD=Mako
P2=Aviar

I'm sure some of these fly differently for other people, but that's what i've found so far. Hope that helps!
Old 02-12-2017, 12:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,057 Times in 493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonormcneal View Post
none of the discs between the two fly the exact same, but the ones that are similar that i can think of right off the bat are:
XCaliber=PD2
DDx=broken in Destroyer (Supposed to be, i think its similar to a Tern cause it'll flip a little)
DD=Krait
PD=starts off as an OS Thunderbird but beats in to everyone's favorite driver from Discmania
TD2=Roadrunner/Monarch/High Speed US disc
FD3=Firebird
FD2=Teebird with less glide
MD3=Roc/Roc3
MD=Mako
P2=Aviar

I'm sure some of these fly differently for other people, but that's what i've found so far. Hope that helps!
I would argue that the DD is really a Wraith with a bit more stability. Not a Krait.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:29 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,818 Times in 1,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder View Post
I would argue that the DD is really a Wraith with a bit more stability. Not a Krait.
Agreed. I also would say the DDx is much more similar to a Tern than any semblance to a Destroyer.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,017 Times in 485 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Innova and Discmania are all but the same company. Innova makes many of the Discmania molds (if not all of them). Innova sells Discmania factory seconds on the Innova Proshop site. S-Line is Star plastic, C-Line is Champion plastic, and so on.

As to overlap, they try not to directly overlap each other, though some discs are close. For example, the Discmania P2 and Innova Aviar are extremely similar, but the P2 is a wee bit more overstable than the Aviar.

Discmania is a separately owned company though.

And for clarification, the P2 is more overstable than a PnA Aviar.

It is not more overstable than a Big Bead Aviar, which the P2 is based on, just without the bead.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 202 Times in 141 Posts

Their made in the same factory. Here is the plus that I see. Discamania can take a time proven mold and make it better. They combine seperate molds into one new disc.

For example nearly all their molds have a part of an older innova disc. Like the PD has a firebird bottom.

The downside is that this in the box thinking doesn't help for creating a revolutionary product in my opinion.

Jussi is able to save a ton of money on the experimental stage cause he is utilizing all of dave's successes and failures.

Old 02-12-2017, 01:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 2
Niced 338 Times in 252 Posts

Of course everybody forgot the CD2 that is like a cross between a Sidewinder/Valk and a Thunderbird, or in other words the Thunderbird for average arms, I just wish it came in solid S-Line colors.