#1  
Old 03-18-2017, 05:51 PM
DiscologyGus's Avatar
DiscologyGus DiscologyGus is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: DENVER
Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 150
Niced 19 Times in 15 Posts
Default Obex vs. Ibex

I was looking to pick up an Ibex because I heard that it was a really nice mid.. Just wondering if anyone has used both Ibex and Obex and what they thought of them and maybe which one the prefer and why? thanks!
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-18-2017, 08:10 PM
Monkeypaws's Avatar
Monkeypaws Monkeypaws is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SE Minnesota
Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 3,434
Niced 233 Times in 152 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterGustason View Post
I was looking to pick up an Ibex because I heard that it was a really nice mid.. Just wondering if anyone has used both Ibex and Obex and what they thought of them and maybe which one the prefer and why? thanks!
I like the Ibex - I've only owned/thrown one, and it a classic straight shooting mid.

Obex, hmmm. Ive thrown a few, and seen a few thrown by others , and they have been all over the place, but flippy seems to be the quality they share.

I know it's supposed to be the stable one, but I have yet to see one that flew as advertised.

This comes from purchases, and a couple Birdie Bashes.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-18-2017, 09:29 PM
Old Dog Old Dog is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Stanly Cty, NC
Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 743
Niced 84 Times in 55 Posts
Default

I have an old noodle arm so the Ibex works better for me personally. If you have decent launch speed the Obex will hold whatever line you put it on with a good amount of glide. But if you're like me and don't have good launch speed the Obex will definitely turn left (RHBH) on you in a hurry.

The Ibex is just the opposite. If you have a lot of power/speed the Ibex will turn over on you.

Also check out Vibram's new Launch mid-range. I believe it falls somewhere between the two in stability.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-18-2017, 10:14 PM
DiscologyGus's Avatar
DiscologyGus DiscologyGus is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: DENVER
Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 150
Niced 19 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
I like the Ibex - I've only owned/thrown one, and it a classic straight shooting mid.

Obex, hmmm. Ive thrown a few, and seen a few thrown by others , and they have been all over the place, but flippy seems to be the quality they share.

I know it's supposed to be the stable one, but I have yet to see one that flew as advertised.

This comes from purchases, and a couple Birdie Bashes.

Yeah, i've heard weather makes them inconsistent.. I wonder if i should go a different route for an overstable mid.. hmmmm..Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-18-2017, 10:16 PM
DiscologyGus's Avatar
DiscologyGus DiscologyGus is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: DENVER
Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 150
Niced 19 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog View Post
I have an old noodle arm so the Ibex works better for me personally. If you have decent launch speed the Obex will hold whatever line you put it on with a good amount of glide. But if you're like me and don't have good launch speed the Obex will definitely turn left (RHBH) on you in a hurry.

The Ibex is just the opposite. If you have a lot of power/speed the Ibex will turn over on you.

Also check out Vibram's new Launch mid-range. I believe it falls somewhere between the two in stability.

I believe the launch is understable, as opposed to the Ibex = stable and Obex = overstable...
According to Marshall Street's flight guide anyway..
Reply With Quote
 

  #6  
Old 03-18-2017, 11:17 PM
mentos's Avatar
mentos mentos is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: the present tense
Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 317
Niced 68 Times in 51 Posts
Default

ibex is for those who don't like beaded mids, or use a buzzz or truth.

obex for me was less than ideal. i was hoping for a bard/vector type mid, but was given something less than stellar. i was using firm rubber... med/soft ymmv.

i just use a host of different weight/run ibexes. softs being the most stable and lightweight firms/meds (168-172) being the least stable. newer runs woth the flight path are predictable and solid runs.

ibex and solace are my favourite vibram molds (arch sometimes)


the launch is just am ibex with a different rim and some. if the ibex doesn't feel right try the shallower launch.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vibram Ibex, Obex and an Ascent bballr4567 The Marketplace 2 05-22-2015 10:08 AM
Vibram sole/obex/ibex emook The Marketplace 1 02-04-2014 01:10 PM
MVP AXIS for Roc/Ibex/Obex Kepdog2 The Marketplace 3 12-30-2013 08:26 PM
Or trading for firm obex, ibex, lace, trak aaron50_07 The Marketplace 1 04-11-2013 01:39 PM
Give me your Rubbers! (Vibram: Lace VP Ascent Trak Ibex Obex) jpeaslee The Marketplace 11 02-12-2013 10:56 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.