Old 03-09-2018, 11:33 AM

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Talking Thumber/Tomahawk Disc

Hello everyone. I was wanting to know what you suggest for thumber/toma drives for distance/accuracy. It's really the only throw I use for the last couple years, mostly because I'm awful with back and forehand.

Right now I have good control over the epic which can easily reach over 400, and even 450+ with a slight tailwind, but any direction of wind that is more than slight can mess up the flight pretty easily and living in SE MN it's usually windy here.

My go to is usually the Opto XxX because it's very accurate at 300-350 range. I found it to give a bit more distance than the stiletto regardless of the speed difference.

Shorter holes I drive the GStar Teebird for its accuracy.

Those are really the only 3 discs that get thrown in my bag other than the putters of course.

Any other thumber/tomahawk players have any suggestions on what to try? The snow should hopefully be melting here in a month or 2 so I'm getting prepared.

Thanks in advance and happy friday.

PS: I've tried the FLICK but I can't seem to get it to go like the others in distance or accuracy.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by waitaminute419; 03-09-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 773 Times in 417 Posts

Sorry I can't help with your question. I am curious how you throw approaches and upshots with a tommy exclusive game though. Do you also turbo putt?
Old 03-09-2018, 12:30 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.1
Courses Played: 30
Niced 203 Times in 77 Posts

So, probably not the distance you are looking for, but I have great success with a Discraft Mantis in that 150-200 ft range with a thumber. Even works with some lower ceiling shots as you can get it to pan over and flip fairly quickly unlike higher speed discs.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 175
Niced 621 Times in 413 Posts

Relay!
Old 03-09-2018, 12:39 PM
Par Member

Niced 52 Times in 35 Posts

I actually practice a little putter thumber in the yard about 80-90 feet, pretty fun little shot. Not to steal the thread, but I can not throw a tomahawk. Thumbers will flip and glide. my tomahawk basically is a forehand sky roller they never flip.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-09-2018, 12:53 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 9 Times in 5 Posts

Mvp motion nuke os faf firebird

Old 03-09-2018, 01:07 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 41
Niced 616 Times in 350 Posts

^You never throw understable or neutral discs overhand as well? You're missing out my friend.

Niced: (2)
Old 03-09-2018, 01:53 PM

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discerdoo View Post
Sorry I can't help with your question. I am curious how you throw approaches and upshots with a tommy exclusive game though. Do you also turbo putt?
Longer approaches I will throw just as hard as my drives but with something understable, and also I throw it only about the height of my release to keep the movement more narrow because I'm usually in the woods by the time I'm approaching (unlike my drives where I sky them a bit for more distance and/or going over the top of woods to drop it in a clearing above the basket). I also aim for ground about 20 ft. Short of the basket so it skips close and not far past.

Shorter upshots I release at a different angle and power down so that the disc lands upside down and can gentley slide or small flare.

I do not turbo putt I haven't really given that a try, I would need to watch some videos and learn how.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,415 Times in 1,540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman6854 View Post
my tomahawk basically is a forehand sky roller they never flip.
Same for me...I assume it's because I'm used to FH shots so I get a clean release on the tomahawk whereas my torquey thumber gives the disc a "good" flight...

OP, since you seem to throw both a lot, do you use the same discs for thumbers and tomahawks? Do they fly the same for you both grips or do tomahawks roll over less with the same disc?

Old 03-09-2018, 02:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 2
Niced 342 Times in 255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman6854 View Post
I actually practice a little putter thumber in the yard about 80-90 feet, pretty fun little shot. Not to steal the thread, but I can not throw a tomahawk. Thumbers will flip and glide. my tomahawk basically is a forehand sky roller they never flip.
I actually prefer my 'Hawks not to flip, but my Thumbers are more for accuracy and my 'Hawks are more for tight distance. I need to find a new L-mold Beast now, but that miggmightt depend on the Champ Valk I have. One of the guys in the league asked how I could keep them upright like that, and I said that it just happened as I went to a different plastic (used DX Valks and Beasts for a while, then tried Champ, and never looked back). It gets me better distance and I have actually overthrown holes by accident, though it does get tossed around more in the wind,by being vertical the whole way.

To the OP, try something like a Beast or Valk. If you want to stay Trilogy, try an Escape or Saint, I've had good luck with all of them, and they make good BH drivers too.