Old 03-09-2018, 09:31 PM

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhayes7 View Post
Champ will likely go a bit farther than Gstar because of the increase in stability.

You tried a Criminal or a Stiletto?
I've tried stiletto a lot and found it gave me a slight advantage versus the XXX only when I needed to get the disc very high before to drop in over the woods. The XXX can do similar but the stiletto seemed to reach the height needed faster with less side to side movement. Stiletto also seemed to tombstone more regularly than any other disc I've thrown.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2018, 09:48 PM

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
I definitely didn't take the OP seriously at first, what with it being post #1 and all...

I can totally identify with using thumbers and tomahawks for placement shots, especially with certain windows into obstructed greens, etc. I really like Champ Firebirds for both, and a Z Predator is pretty good for accurate overhands (still my only ace, sadly). To be honest, they're both somewhat similar to the discs you're already throwing. OP, did you happen to have a background in ultimate frisbee throwing hammers? Or baseball/football type throwing sports? I have both, and the baseball/football thing is why I feel very comfortable ranging overhand throws. The hammer from ultimate helped me get all the different angles figure out, and that's why I'm comfortable throwing discs like a Polecat for some shorter approaches.

I'm a bit surprised you haven't been able to throw forehands fairly far, being able to throw overhands over 300'. Maybe you just need to keep working on the FH.

Just for fun, start watching this video around 13:20 for a lot of overhands. JC Kester is known for being a thumber master, and this course had everyone throwing them. The only problem is they don't tell what all the discs are.

Thanks a lot for this feedback and I totally get how a first time post would seem sketch but for some odd reason I've never been able to post until I emailed the support team and Mr. Tim Gostovic fixed an issue for me to be able to. ( thanks Tim! )

I have a Z predator I found and has no number, was from a 2011 millstream open tournament (stamped) not even sure where millstream is but I will give it a whirl.

I don't have ultimate frisbee background, but I was that track runner who threw a baseball further than his ball player friends and the soccer player who was always chosen to be QB for pickup games of football. If I could go back in time I would used my arm for sports instead of my legs. (Hindsight 2020)

I've never gave forehand a fair shot. All the locals here have been trying to get me backhand. When I do throw FH it does feel more comfortable than BH, maybe because I grew up learning tomahawk before thumber. I think that's a good goal for me this summer to get that FH under control. Its rare i release a BH or FH correctly but I know the FH goes way further for me when it does and it looks so pretty too

Haven't heard of JC Kester, still somewhat new to the sport (3 years, but didn't play a lot last year unfortunately) but I will watch the vid tonight. Thanks a lot for the feedback and sorry for the windy post/reply!

And thanks to everyone for the responses. This gave me a lot more info than just googling and reading other people's posts.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-09-2018, 10:49 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 163
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,123 Times in 1,002 Posts

I don't know if this helps at all but I can't post this video enough. Check out the overhand at 24:15 with apparently a thrashed Vulcan:

My OH sucks. Basically thumbers only with xXx, flat Banshee, Felon, Resistor, or whatever beefy disc I'm using for utility that day. I can throw a skip thumber correctly every 3-4 tries, that's about the extent of my OH prowess, lol.

Niced: (2)
Old 03-10-2018, 08:40 AM

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post

Just for fun, start watching this video around 13:20 for a lot of overhands. JC Kester is known for being a thumber master, and this course had everyone throwing them. The only problem is they don't tell what all the discs are.

This was great watching JC overhand his way through the round, and even on the holes without any trees in the way. That's how I like to play. I heard the announce mention he uses a crystal nuke os, will check that out.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 172
Niced 621 Times in 413 Posts

If you can't find cryztal, go for Z. You might like it for max distance stuff. They're very high speed and very overstable.

Old 03-10-2018, 11:08 AM

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
. Check out the overhand at 24:15 with apparently a thrashed Vulcan:
What is a "thrashed" Vulcan? That was a sweet flight path.

Thanks for sharing this.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 18
Niced 539 Times in 310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitaminute419 View Post
What is a "thrashed" Vulcan? That was a sweet flight path.

Thanks for sharing this.
Just very beat up and worn in. Looks very understable. It looks like from the path that it behaved kind of like an Epic. Throw overhand it barrel rolled over to upright, then it flew like huge right handed s-turn forehand, turning to the left into the spin then fading back right as it lost spin. That is as cool to watch as Simon Lizotte's skomahawk where he throws such a flippy disc on a sky roller line that it flips over into a tomahawk finish.

Old 03-10-2018, 02:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 52
Niced 3,659 Times in 1,941 Posts

The esp flx Nukes my friend throws are very OS... Almost as much as a stock NukeOS is but with more glide.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 172
Niced 621 Times in 413 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
I don't know if this helps at all but I can't post this video enough. Check out the overhand at 24:15 with apparently a thrashed Vulcan:
That was way cool. It makes me wish I still had my Nuke SS. Looks like he just threw a standard thumber and somehow it flipped and turned into a standard backhand type of pattern about 100' in the air. Gotta love the "bank shot" putt at the end of the previous hole, too. Aww, CCDG, you rock.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:54 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 25
Niced 606 Times in 519 Posts

I do a sky hook shot, so for max distance I use a Destroyer then a good bit shorter I use a XL in ether ESP or Z. I can't do a thumber or tomahawk shot, the thumber is non existent and a tomahawk is forehand sky roller.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 03-10-2018 at 03:56 PM.