Old 06-03-2018, 05:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 157
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 66 Times in 41 Posts

My favorites are all Innova: Firebird, Teebird, Roadrunner, and Shark. I've been known to throw some overhand putts and approaches with my Gateway putters as well...the Wizard and the Magic.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2018, 07:33 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,818 Times in 1,367 Posts

Only time I throw something like this is when I'm in jail in the woods. And when I do throw these, I use the Panther.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:18 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 207 Times in 133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
I don't know if this helps at all but I can't post this video enough. Check out the overhand at 24:15 with apparently a thrashed Vulcan:

My OH sucks. Basically thumbers only with xXx, flat Banshee, Felon, Resistor, or whatever beefy disc I'm using for utility that day. I can throw a skip thumber correctly every 3-4 tries, that's about the extent of my OH prowess, lol.
Been working on my OH since watching JC Kester a couple months ago. I have a star firebird that will not roll at all, but a metal flake teebird that has a nice slow roll. After watching this video I might try out a Star or Champ Mamba. I would rather use a well beaten Wraith, but I dont have one yet.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:22 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 25
Niced 610 Times in 523 Posts

Seems to me from Innova The Mamba would be a good disc for Thumber/Tomahawk as well as right only shots for those who can't throw forehand.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:10 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 280 Times in 164 Posts

For anyone trying to emulate JC Kester- He's not a mortal man.

I used to be able to throw a baseball ~85 mph and could sometimes hit 350'+ with a firebird/XXX on a thumber. Tried a Nuke OS and could not even get it to pan.

The speed/spin that that man has to be putting on a disc is unreal. I also happened to live an hour up the road from JC when I threw thumbers regularly, and locals would somewhat frequently comment that although I had a good thumber, "You gotta see JC throw one!"

For mortals, I have found that a FAF Firebird or XXX offers about the best distance. Regular Firebird flies the same but a little shorter. And believe it or not, a Gator makes a great "shorter Firebird" for thumbers.

I never could throw a tomahawk quite as far as a thumber, and used to use an old, OLD Champ Beast for really accurate, straight in front of me and over the trees shots.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 722 Times in 505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmiller View Post

I used to be able to throw a baseball ~85 mph and could sometimes hit 350'+ with a firebird/XXX on a thumber. Tried a Nuke OS and could not even get it to pan.

The speed/spin that that man has to be putting on a disc is unreal. I also happened to live an hour up the road from JC when I threw thumbers regularly, and locals would somewhat frequently comment that although I had a good thumber, "You gotta see JC throw one!"

For mortals, I have found that a FAF Firebird or XXX offers about the best distance. Regular Firebird flies the same but a little shorter. And believe it or not, a Gator makes a great "shorter Firebird" for thumbers.

I never could throw a tomahawk quite as far as a thumber, and used to use an old, OLD Champ Beast for really accurate, straight in front of me and over the trees shots.

I can second the Gatorbird here. Also short lil' baby grenades.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:39 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 23
Niced 207 Times in 133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmiller View Post

Wont get anywhere near what JC can do, but the utility of the shots is undeniable. I started forehanding so that I don't have to carry flippy discs to throw holes that are dogleg right. OH can be used for so much more.

Looking at the flight numbers on infinite discs for the Nuke OS, the Innova equivalent would be the Ape which will have a little more glide and a little more fade which should actually translate into more distance. You can also get an Ape in Blizzard plastic in a weight that would be closer to that of a baseball which I believe is just under 150g. I am still building my distance and form so it will be a while before I can throw an Ape, but I think an Innova sponsored pro would do well to OH with an Ape if looking for max D
Old 06-06-2018, 12:52 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 29
Niced 203 Times in 114 Posts

I use a Trident - it works perfectly for thumbers 200' and in. Any farther than that and I find a different line/disc - my baseball injury-riddled shoulder cannot handle the torque required for me to throw a thumber any farther than that

Old 06-06-2018, 06:08 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.5
Courses Played: 26
Niced 174 Times in 104 Posts

I'm not as worried about the disc as much as the weight. I have found that 150's Firebirds are some of the best OH discs for me. I really like the lighter weight and seem to get more accuracy and distance while also not hurting my elbow as much.

I have a 156 FAF champ firebird that is my go-to. I can push it out to around 250-275 ft. if needed.

Last edited by JeCroisQue; 06-06-2018 at 06:11 PM.