Old 04-03-2010, 10:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 21 Times in 15 Posts

I think the A-SS is just a bit slower than a Sidewinder with a touch more glide. I think this makes the A-SS a little easier to throw straight, and the Sidewinder has more S to its flight. The Sidewinder will go a bit farther as well.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 10
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via MSN to valkyrie

I replaced my sidewinders with Gold Line Visions, and its been working awesome!
Old 04-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

if you are going to get an avenger ss DONT get in flx plastic because they are horrible for rolling
Old 04-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 54
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I disagree with most here on the SS turning back. My SS's never come back, ever. Sidewinders I throw with a nice huge S, with a good fade back. No fade back with an SS avenger. If you want a discraft S disc, a XL(not Z) is for you.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 37
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huk Finn View Post
The Avenger SS replaced my Sidewinder. I thought it went a bit farther, no the Vision has replaced my Avenger SS.

only because I lost the Avenger SS. Those 3 are all good for what you need.
How would you compare the vision to a flx Avenger ss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjskier View Post
I disagree with most here on the SS turning back. My SS's never come back, ever. Sidewinders I throw with a nice huge S, with a good fade back. No fade back with an SS avenger. If you want a discraft S disc, a XL(not Z) is for you.
What plastic have you thrown that does not comeback as much?
Old 04-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 54
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walters View Post

What plastic have you thrown that does not comeback as much?
Only Red Z's. I have 5 of em. Now a X, or Elite pro XL, now thats a nice S disc.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 37
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Well I have heard the avenger ss is very different in the different plastics.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 94
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have loved the avenger ss for a while and have thrown all the plastics. they definitely differ a good bit. I really like the z plastic, it is probably the mid stability of the plastics. esp and flx seemed a little flippier and the crystal is by far the most stable. I have thrown a sidewinder but not enough to really speak on it. I would tend to say from what little experience I do have that the SS will be a touch less stable. unless you get the crystal avenger ss and then you could have a match.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:51 PM

Years Playing: 22.1
Courses Played: 23
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Maybe the Z Avenger SS is more like the Sidewinder, but in general, I find the Avenger SS is noticeably more understable than a Champ or Star Sidewinder. When brand new, the Z Avenger SS will have some minimal fade on the end of the flight, but usually you won't ever see fade on it unless it stalls. The Sidewinder has more fade to it, but not that much.

In terms of overall stability, I find the Avenger SS in all plastics to be closer to the Roardrunner than the Sidewinder, but I don't feel like the Avenger SS is quite as fast as either of those discs, nor flies exactly like either. It's still the same type of disc. If you are looking for less overlap, having 2 of these three discs in your bag (avenger ss, sidewinder, roadrunner) at the same time, would probably not be great. I know there's plenty of ppl that like to carry both the sidewinder and roadrunner in their bag at the same time, but adding an Avenger SS to either of those discs makes less sense.

I use the Avenger SS primarily for rollers, turnovers, annies, and low powered straight shots in the woods. It's a fun disc, but I replaced it with a beat X Avenger, which is a little more versitale for me, and probably is closer to the Sidewinder when broken in the Avenger SS is.

I've never really been a fan of the FLX Avenger SS, because it doesn't roll well, which defeats half the purpose of the disc for me. If you don't like to use the Avenger SS for rolling, and you want something that is slightly more stable than the ESP Avenger SS out of the box, then the FLX Avenger SS isn't a bad choice. But, they will still break in, to the point where they are basically an ESP Avenger SS that's more grippy, but can't roll for crap.

I'll second what someone else said about max weight red Z Avenger SS's, they seem to be the most consistently stable of the mold that I have seen, though the Cryztal Z's can be that way too, but are harder to find, easy to lose, and typcially cost a few bucks more.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 20
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Dave Walters;310558]How would you compare the vision to a flx Avenger ss?

Out of the box the Vision seems to turnover a tad quicker and hold it's anny line longer. I have the sparkle Opto plastic. For what I want it to do every time (big anhyzer bombs or the perfect hyzer flip) it works great.

mine is a 173

http://cgi.ebay.com/Latitude-64-OPTO...item3ca97cb6ff