Old 06-25-2013, 12:09 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 45
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 32 Times in 22 Posts
Default Proton & Neutron plastic

Not sure if I should have done MVP or Compare.. But.. My friend was asking what the main difference is. That brought up a good point.. What is the main difference between these two plastics? Same durability from my experience.. Neutron has better grip for me. I guess the flight mildly changed for me with the Tangent.. But that's the only difference I found.. I like Neutron putters more for some reason too. But can anyone else give a firm comparison of the two..? I'd add in Eclipse but that's just Glow Proton.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2013, 12:14 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,087 Times in 730 Posts

From MVP site:
Our Proton plastic is produced with some of the most durable plastics in the industry. It has immense abrasion resistance from impact and as a result very slow wear, giving it a very long life. It is produced with bright, vivid transparent colors. A key aspect as to why our proton plastic has such great clarity and durability is because the central core is not contaminated with any weighting agents unlike most conventional golf discs. The weight products are placed in the outer ring to enhance our GYRO™ Technology and maintain polymer purity in the central core so that our beautiful colors are always vivid and clear.

Neutron is our premium polymer blend that offers a unique look and feel while maintaining the excellent durability of Proton plastic. This unique blend is offered in a wide variety of bright easy-to-spot neon colors. Neutron is your go-to polymer for continued, reliable performance in all conditions.

I'd say its like champ vs. star, ESP vs Z, GL vs Opto etc.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:25 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
I'd say its like champ vs. star, ESP vs Z, GL vs Opto etc.
That's what I initially thought.. But champ/z is wayyyy more durable then ESP/Star.. I don't notice that difference as much with MVP.. Idk. Maybe Proton is more durable. GL is something more then Star or ESP though.. Discraft made a whole new plastic to compete.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 174
Niced 114 Times in 71 Posts

This is more my observation than anything else, but it seems that Neutron and Proton Soft develop sunken tops faster and greater than regular Proton. This knocks a little stability out of the disc. This seems most predominate in the Ions and Anodes.

Sunken tops are very common in putters; the Yeti Aviar was even made with a sunken top. However, out of the Ions and Anodes I have witnessed this on, it is not as drastic or as noticeable as other manufacturers, but it is there in my observation.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:32 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarkquart View Post
This is more my observation than anything else, but it seems that Neutron and Proton Soft develop sunken tops faster and greater than regular Proton. This knocks a little stability out of the disc. This seems most predominate in the Ions and Anodes.

Sunken tops are very common in putters; the Yeti Aviar was even made with a sunken top. However, out of the Ions and Anodes I have witnessed this on, it is not as drastic or as noticeable as other manufacturers, but it is there in my observation.
Sunken tops? I think I know what your talking about. Like no longer flat. It's "sunk" in.. Not really to a huge extent but it's there. Is that what you mean?
Old 06-25-2013, 12:36 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 11
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajpity View Post
That's what I initially thought.. But champ/z is wayyyy more durable then ESP/Star.. I don't notice that difference as much with MVP.. Idk. Maybe Proton is more durable. GL is something more then Star or ESP though.. Discraft made a whole new plastic to compete.
Maybe I misunderstood you but GL or Gold Line plastic is Lat 64, not Discraft.
But you are right in stating it's durable. IMHO I think both GL and Opto hold up better than champ/Z plastic.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 11 Times in 7 Posts

I think Neutron is a more durable plastic than Star, ESP, or GL. I think Proton/Neutron are more like clear Champ vs. opaque Champ, clear Opto vs. opaque Opto, clear Z vs. opaque/pearly Z, etc.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:51 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notrepidation View Post
Maybe I misunderstood you but GL or Gold Line plastic is Lat 64, not Discraft.
But you are right in stating it's durable. IMHO I think both GL and Opto hold up better than champ/Z plastic.
Yeah, you misunderstood me haha. Ti was created by Discraft to compete with GL.. GL is a super premium plastic. Lat has some of the best plastic out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
I think Neutron is a more durable plastic than Star, ESP, or GL. I think Proton/Neutron are more like clear Champ vs. opaque Champ, clear Opto vs. opaque Opto, clear Z vs. opaque/pearly Z, etc.
I don't agree with GL but I think they are like Champ/Elite-Z. Durability is the same.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:51 AM
Double Eagle Member

Also this thread isn't just for me. I was thinking we could all compare the two because I don't see alot of comparisons going on and surprisingly couldn't find a thread.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:55 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't know about anyone else noticed but the proton used for the eclipse tangents are grippier than any of my neutron discs and has a slightly more maleable flightplate than my old vector. Just an observation