Old 06-13-2018, 08:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 88
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 365 Times in 226 Posts

Best understable driving putter is typically a beat up version of your stable driving putter. I have some beat up grid aviars I like to use for understable duties. Then again, I try to keep my bag really simple which isn't for everyone.

Out of the box - the swan2 and magic are probably the two best I've thrown in the past. Just depends on the feel you like.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2018, 09:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 6
Niced 466 Times in 342 Posts

^^ absolutely agree with this. Grab the beadless counterpart to your normal putter until you beat one in and keep the other for back-up. I think consistency is a big key element in my game (and yours) and throwing the same thing for multiple scenarios, well that's just consistent now isn't it?
Old 06-13-2018, 09:48 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 39
Niced 321 Times in 184 Posts

^Troof. Or just be like me and go beadless [and beat up] all day

It's amazing how some people like Rocs/Buzzz', Teebirds/Eagles, BH/FH, etc etc etc yet a vast majority of discers prefer beaded putters. Can I confront people on social media because I'm a minority now?
Old 06-13-2018, 09:58 PM
I Don't Actually Disc Golf

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,149 Times in 917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
^Troof. Or just be like me and go beadless [and beat up] all day

It's amazing how some people like Rocs/Buzzz', Teebirds/Eagles, BH/FH, etc etc etc yet a vast majority of discers prefer beaded putters. Can I confront people on social media because I'm a minority now?
Dunno about social media, but it's not all that surprising that people who like beadless mids, etc. would like beaded putters, especially if their throwing grip and putting grip are different. I've gone to beaded putters because I like the way my index finger rests on the bead. But on throws, I tuck that finger over the rim the same I do my other fingers...
Old 06-14-2018, 06:26 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 29
Niced 232 Times in 135 Posts

Polecat.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:13 AM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 39
Niced 321 Times in 184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Dunno about social media, but it's not all that surprising that people who like beadless mids, etc. would like beaded putters, especially if their throwing grip and putting grip are different. I've gone to beaded putters because I like the way my index finger rests on the bead. But on throws, I tuck that finger over the rim the same I do my other fingers...

It was just a poor attempt at being clever, and a slight mockery of how heated SJWs get. The internet [social media] is getting WAY too politically correct WAY too quick. Like that poor girl who was wasted and nervous on stage and Kendrick Lamar set her up for failure. I digress.

You're absolutely right, most enjoy the bead in their first knuckle for a consistent grip.

I do coincidentally carry beadless mids but it isn't just due to the grip. With putting yes it's grip based and I don't like the feel of the bead. For flight with mids etc. I just prefer the lower power lines a la Buzzz v. Roc because I'm lucky enough to have the privilege of good form+power. It's taken me a LONG time to settle on my bag. I've bagged everything - Sentinels, Cyclone, Stratus, Rhyno, Wizard, KC Aviar, Stalker, beaded Gator...we all play this game differently just like some people like American cars and others Euro or Asian. No correct answer
Old 06-14-2018, 10:27 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 254 Times in 175 Posts

I like beads fine on putters and mids as they guarantee I have a nice, comfy edge to fit into a modified birdie grip or whatever you want to call it. Also, if I'm cycling a mold I like it to have a bead, as I like the idea of base plastic holding the sweet spot maybe a little longer. On the other hand, sometimes in a cycle I could do without a bead, as it would mean a disc would take less time for my casual ass to beat it from OS to the sweet spot.

For putting, bead all day for the sake of more to hold on to.

As far as the understable mold I'm looking to bag, it would seem that all the typical options are unbeaded, probably because of the stability you lose when you skip a bead. The Judge is one of the few aviar/wizard clones WITH a bead that that starts neutral enough to beat to US in a reasonable amount of time.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 29
Niced 130 Times in 84 Posts

If you like the mirage, but it's too long, get a Star Wedge. It's the best truly US driving putter there is. If it's still too fast for you and you don't mind a deeper dish, the Spin flies like a slower Wedge.

But seriously, get a Wedge.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-14-2018, 04:51 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

R-Pro Aviar?

Old 06-19-2018, 10:55 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 6
Niced 466 Times in 342 Posts

Keep working with the magic my dude. You will not be disappointed. If you want spmething outta da box less stable then you need to grab an RFF. its less stable and it holds it's original stability fooooooooorrrrreeeeeevvvvvvvvvvvveeeerrrrrrrrrr.
Also hella other options grid stamp aviar, aero, dart (more stable but really workable) swan, deputy, 86 softy, a lot of the steady Ed stuff (see DGA site) also check out infinite discs dot com's disc comoarison matrix and just look im the sleed 2-3 US boxes.

Last edited by Grippenripp; 06-19-2018 at 10:58 PM.