Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 05-07-2018, 01:02 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 26
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 88 Times in 60 Posts

Sorry if you already addressed this but I didn't see it. I'm sure, like all kinetic chains, after the thoracic extension the thoracic rotation starts from the ground up. Does the core become more actively engaged for FH after the rear instep weight shift or is it just pelvis turn? If there was a drill for the FH rotation, would it be a mirror image of the Butt Wipe drill for BH?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2018, 10:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 198
Niced 1,172 Times in 787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFrance View Post
Sorry if you already addressed this but I didn't see it. I'm sure, like all kinetic chains, after the thoracic extension the thoracic rotation starts from the ground up. Does the core become more actively engaged for FH after the rear instep weight shift or is it just pelvis turn? If there was a drill for the FH rotation, would it be a mirror image of the Butt Wipe drill for BH?
It's your core tightening/bracing for impact that rotates the torso out of x-factor lag. Same kind of principle as mirrored butt wipe, but the stance is more open so it would be hard to actually do it. Hershyzer is an actual pitching drill so it applies.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-09-2018, 05:37 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 33 Times in 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTooLong View Post
I feel like Wysocki's distance forehand has deteriorated just a bit as his backhand becomes more and more proficient.
I get the feeling this is a little intentional. It seems like he's forcing himself to really commit and see how far he can develop his backhand. That being said I'd bet dollars to donuts he's the best top tier distance thrower. He's forehand game is all about powerful and accurate forehand throws with overstable plastic and that's why he's such a surgeon with a Harp. Whether he's throwing a Harp, a felon or something faster his form is remarkably consistent. Even his standstill forehand shots are consistent with his run up throws.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:41 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 42
Niced 75 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenSeagal View Post
I get the feeling this is a little intentional. It seems like he's forcing himself to really commit and see how far he can develop his backhand. That being said I'd bet dollars to donuts he's the best top tier distance thrower. He's forehand game is all about powerful and accurate forehand throws with overstable plastic and that's why he's such a surgeon with a Harp. Whether he's throwing a Harp, a felon or something faster his form is remarkably consistent. Even his standstill forehand shots are consistent with his run up throws.
As far as pure distance goes, I doubt Wysocki is THE best. Check out Silver Latt or even Eagle McMahon probably throws further. No one can doubt Ricky's consistency though.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:11 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 21 Times in 15 Posts

Do you guys focus on speed when you practice? Mainly the hips, i feel like something needs too be fast or else i can't get any distance. Im trying too keep everything locked together and not using my arm for power.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 198
Niced 1,172 Times in 787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacledbear View Post
Do you guys focus on speed when you practice? Mainly the hips, i feel like something needs too be fast or else i can't get any distance. Im trying too keep everything locked together and not using my arm for power.
Not really. Longer looser swing to gather more momentum/distance. The backswing is taken back all together, but there should be some lag as you make the transition forward.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:13 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 21 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Not really. Longer looser swing to gather more momentum/distance. The backswing is taken back all together, but there should be some lag as you make the transition forward.

Cool, i'll try to try to slow down. Tried the hammer drill with a heavy shoe and my body knew instinctively how to toss it using my arm as a sling, it just feels way different when im about too throw a disc. Thanks.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,258 Times in 853 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacledbear View Post
Cool, i'll try to try to slow down. Tried the hammer drill with a heavy shoe and my body knew instinctively how to toss it using my arm as a sling, it just feels way different when im about too throw a disc. Thanks.
Got to have a stack of discs in an open spot and not feel self conscious. Keep slinging them until it clicks. Lots of wounded duck flights and cut throwlers may happen, but you just have to concentrate on the feel instead of the results until it starts to line up right. Trying to maintain your old accuracy or hit point while hoping to make fundamental changes doesn't work well.

I do feel like I need to put at least 150' on it to get that sling feeling happening effortlessly, but you don't need to be throwing super hard.