Old 10-24-2013, 10:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 59
Niced 9 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscChainBasket18 View Post
I've had this one in my bag for a while now!

I was most impressed by how straight is flies when putting/throwing!

That looks just like mine, except mine looks a lot newer than that. Looks like you have made a few thousand shots with that disc. Awesome.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2013, 10:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 167
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 469 Times in 215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj1002 View Post
Icon Clutch is such an awesome driving putter. I can get one of mine almost as far as my ghosts.
Agreed (but Roc for Ghost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj1002 View Post
I do wish they had a more true stable driving putter. The Clutch and Clozer are pretty similar in overall flight
I can see how you big-arm folk might want to pair the Clutch t with something more stable/overstable, but at my distance the Icon Clutch has plenty of stability for driving. I have been playing without my Champ Rhyno lately to give Clutches a fair test, and so far I haven't missed the Rhyno.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:31 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 14
Niced 7 Times in 7 Posts

This may be the oldest thread I've bumped...anyways onto the Clutch. I'm currently putting with Voodoos and have a couple that feel how I like. They are SSS with good grip and I like them, but am curious about the Gravity Clutch. Would they be similar as far as putting duties go? My gravity ghosts feel pretty nice and I'm a sucker for new discs so help me out here
Old 11-30-2014, 11:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 167
Niced 469 Times in 215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyguy View Post
This may be the oldest thread I've bumped...anyways onto the Clutch. I'm currently putting with Voodoos and have a couple that feel how I like. They are SSS with good grip and I like them, but am curious about the Gravity Clutch. Would they be similar as far as putting duties go?
Gravity Clutch is my putter and no-fade approach disc. Icon Clutch is my driving putter. As the bead wears down the Gravity Clutch becomes quite straight-stable, maybe drifting right a little on a full drive, and finishing with little or no fade.

I never clicked with Voodoos, but a new Clutch seems like a seasoned SS or SSS Wizard with less fade. Seasoned Gravity Clutch (and they season fairly quickly before settling down) is like a more-stable Magic.

After trying a lot of putters over the years, I have had zero interest in trying new putters after finding the Clutch. That said, there isn't that much difference in putters inside the circle - more a question of how they mesh with your hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyguy View Post
My gravity ghosts feel pretty nice and I'm a sucker for new discs so help me out here
Life cannot go on unless you buy this disc. You are welcome.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:44 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just switched back to Voodoos for putting from clutches.

Clutches throw great but I just couldn't click with them putting.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:30 PM
*Hiding in Mike C's Closet*

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 27
Niced 116 Times in 70 Posts

Took me all season before i finally started clicking with the Clutch, after it beats in it holds a straight line much longer than im used to with a faster drop before the fade, at least my stiff protege clutches are this way.. Im used to discs with more carry/float and a fade into the chains before much drop off. I found myself hitting basket ALL the time and just not getting enough behind it all season.

The clutch i think favors people who putt harder with a more push or direct approach with less of a "elevator" or floaty flight which is what i had been accustomed to prior to using the clutch.

After adjusting my putting more toward a direct, harder push I have been banging chains a lot more, but it took me a while to change my old habits.

The upside to a lofty elevator putt is you will never 3 putt because the disc will be 5-10 feet max away from pin, but i have found i can't always get it there accurately from outside the circle because you rally have to give it a lot of air to get it there, where as the harder push gives me MUCH higher percentage of putts at least hitting chains even if they don't go in, but every now and then i miss the metal and am left with a 15-20 foot putt, which always leaves a chance that i could miss the 2 putt and be left with a 3 putt.. Overall i think a harder putt (which the Clutch seems to favor) is working much better especially as i get better and consistent the benefits heavily outweigh the costs. Another upside, is that in the wind a harder putt will have less time to be affected than a lofty one.

Clutch forces you to Putt with Confidence

Last edited by in4d; 12-01-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:24 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 65
Niced 27 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by in4d View Post
Took me all season before i finally started clicking with the Clutch, after it beats in it holds a straight line much longer than im used to with a faster drop before the fade, at least my stiff protege clutches are this way.. Im used to discs with more carry/float and a fade into the chains before much drop off. I found myself hitting basket ALL the time and just not getting enough behind it all season.

The clutch i think favors people who putt harder with a more push or direct approach with less of a "elevator" or floaty flight which is what i had been accustomed to prior to using the clutch.

After adjusting my putting more toward a direct, harder push I have been banging chains a lot more, but it took me a while to change my old habits.

The upside to a lofty elevator putt is you will never 3 putt because the disc will be 5-10 feet max away from pin, but i have found i can't always get it there accurately from outside the circle because you rally have to give it a lot of air to get it there, where as the harder push gives me MUCH higher percentage of putts at least hitting chains even if they don't go in, but every now and then i miss the metal and am left with a 15-20 foot putt, which always leaves a chance that i could miss the 2 putt and be left with a 3 putt.. Overall i think a harder putt (which the Clutch seems to favor) is working much better especially as i get better and consistent the benefits heavily outweigh the costs. Another upside, is that in the wind a harder putt will have less time to be affected than a lofty one.

Clutch forces you to Putt with Confidence
Pretty much all this in a nutshell when it comes to putting with the Clutch, especially the last sentence

I may put up a pic on here of my modest clutch collection if someone talks me into it.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

The protege clutch is perfect.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:42 AM
*Hiding in Mike C's Closet*

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 27
Niced 116 Times in 70 Posts

Apparently Rico took the magnet mold and tweaked it slightly to create the Clutch. That used to be his favorite putter.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:48 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Yeah it's immediately obvious to those familiar with the magnet. By far the biggest difference between the two is in their height. The clutch is a little lower profile which also has the consequence of making it a little faster. The clutch has about the same height as a wizard, whereas a magnet has about the same height as an aviar, and I find the clutch more comfortable in hand because of it's profile which I find ideal for my hand. The level of stability of the two are very similar. The level of stability is ideal for putting. It's also worth noting that the protege plastic feels excellent. The grip level is extremely high and the level of flexibility and durability are just as I prefer. I love how the clutch's shape and feel in hand reminds me more of a frisbee (similar to a comet) than a typical modern "beefy" disc golf disc.