Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 03-25-2021, 03:41 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 733 Times in 394 Posts

Yeah I was one of those who found the Beto drill and didn’t understand everything else that was going on. Just copying drills you see online without understanding what your are supposed to be feeling leads to all sorts of unnatural and unhealthy body movements
Sponsored Links

Old 03-30-2021, 02:10 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 337 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by navel View Post
Not that it really matters, but I have a hard time visualizing how one would shift from in front? Especially doing it forcefully enough to break a leg.
Pretty much everyone who throws under 300 is throwing from the back leg as opposed to shifting to the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedlings View Post
I have twice caught my right hip wrong and literally collapsed onto the ground as a safety impulse. I’m not entirely sure what happens, maybe my leg doesn’t rotate or something. I remember reading an explanation here somewhere, but my search-fu is weak.
A lot of people cut themselves off with their leg as opposed to using their brace to gather up the momentum and redirect it into the disc. I did this a lot. You jam into your front hip, and it can cause serious stress and injury. I still have a spot in my lower right back/hip that has built up pain and tension until I stretch it out and "crack" it. It looks halfway convincing sometimes (a lot of people had a hard time commenting on my throw while I was in the 350-399 range) but it creates a distance wall you cannot overcome until you change to fully shifting to the front leg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azplaya25 View Post
Yeah I was one of those who found the Beto drill and didn’t understand everything else that was going on. Just copying drills you see online without understanding what your are supposed to be feeling leads to all sorts of unnatural and unhealthy body movements
I started playing disc golf in 2015 and the Beto drill was still one of the very first videos people seemed to share with beginners looking to improve their form. It made no sense to me until recently, and only really applies to intermediate-pro throws. It's basically optimizing the "tip of the whip" by adding a bit of muscle to the extension of the elbow. It's difficult to do because you can only apply power once you've gotten into the powerpocket by staying relatively relaxed in that regard... which is what the Beto drill helps train you to do (add power once already in the power pocket). However, it's one of the very last concepts I understood and you can still throw 400+ with a "centrifugal swing."

Last edited by drk_evns; 03-30-2021 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:48 PM
Eagle Member

It’s really easy to mess up the entire throw by trying to add to it.

Something that has been working wonders for me is to do this Josh Anthon move. Lightly gripping with the ring and pinky, nice wide back swing, then pinching and pushing out with the thumb when it’s time to pound the hammer.

Old 04-04-2021, 12:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 20
Niced 2,077 Times in 1,147 Posts

^^^ That's a bit pronounced, but whatever keep you loose and then very tight at the rip is vital to a good throw.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-04-2021, 11:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.6
Niced 1,612 Times in 1,059 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk_evns View Post
Pretty much everyone who throws under 300 is throwing from the back leg as opposed to shifting to the front.

A lot of people cut themselves off with their leg as opposed to using their brace to gather up the momentum and redirect it into the disc. I did this a lot. You jam into your front hip, and it can cause serious stress and injury. I still have a spot in my lower right back/hip that has built up pain and tension until I stretch it out and "crack" it. It looks halfway convincing sometimes (a lot of people had a hard time commenting on my throw while I was in the 350-399 range) but it creates a distance wall you cannot overcome until you change to fully shifting to the front leg.

I started playing disc golf in 2015 and the Beto drill was still one of the very first videos people seemed to share with beginners looking to improve their form....."
Oh man preaching to the choir here! Huge knot in my hip over my point leg... I got my wife to crack my lower hip by pulling my leg, one time.. Passed out walking to the house and smashed up my face.. I've destroyed my body just loving the sport wrong since the late 80's

Beto drill was huge for me, I'm just figuring out centrifugal force again, I stopped doing it when I saw the beto drill and after knee surgery haha. I can lace a Comet dead straight through 5' gaps though.

Really enjoying this overhead view, I've watched it over and over. I think the walk up or x step is important to the throw. (Way back first comments). I find it's huge for me in terms of timing and body position even if it is a walk up, it's so much more fluid and less jammy. It gets my body moving the right way, gently. For me it's more of a one step with a wandering lead up than an X step.

Last edited by ThrowaEnvy; 04-04-2021 at 11:56 PM.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 92
Niced 1,906 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk_evns View Post
This is the same problem I have. Right down to the back pain/tension, and having to pop it (basically every time I go out and throw)

Right now I'm re-learning to throw - same as every spring - and I still can't figure out what I need to do to transition to 'fully shift to the front leg' as you say. Could be I'm just too old/dumb to make it work too
Old 04-07-2021, 09:34 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 10
Niced 585 Times in 332 Posts

One aspect of form that is just now clicking for me is how ‘long’ the sensation of delay is in the pocket while the hips and shoulders come around toward the hit, but before muscles are used to propel the disc out of the pocket. Doing ‘nothing’ with arms from moment of furthest backswing, to pushing the disc out of the pocket (besides shifting hips to the front leg, bringing the back shoulder around), seems counterproductive.

Feelings are crucial to form, but difficult to communicate. Since this element feels like nothing, or absence of effort, I understand why it is not often pointed out. If a coach says “do this, get in this position, shift to that position, then do nothing for a moment, then do this action,” the student could easily get confused.

Old 04-07-2021, 10:19 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
One aspect of form that is just now clicking for me is how ‘long’ the sensation of delay is in the pocket while the hips and shoulders come around toward the hit, but before muscles are used to propel the disc out of the pocket. Doing ‘nothing’ with arms from moment of furthest backswing, to pushing the disc out of the pocket (besides shifting hips to the front leg, bringing the back shoulder around), seems counterproductive.

Feelings are crucial to form, but difficult to communicate. Since this element feels like nothing, or absence of effort, I understand why it is not often pointed out. If a coach says “do this, get in this position, shift to that position, then do nothing for a moment, then do this action,” the student could easily get confused.

Agreed - I find it’s compounded even more when playing for score/under pressure. When I’m playing a round and people are watching and I want to throw really far and awesome, convincing my body to do nothing a relax and not try to throw hard is really difficult
Old 04-07-2021, 04:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 234
Niced 5,072 Times in 3,021 Posts

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5xfv9jPqZs#t=7m30s

Old 04-07-2021, 04:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 10
Niced 585 Times in 332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Yes. I account for 1% of your views at least. BUT, how you rightly explain it, and how I feel it are different