Old 07-01-2019, 05:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 234
Niced 5,072 Times in 3,021 Posts

It's not trying to flip or twist the disc with the wrist. The whole arm has to smoothly rotate to keep the disc "flat" as the whole body rotates. The disc's inertia is also pushing back on your thumb equal and opposite force, so you "feel" the pronation more than you will see it as you keep the disc "flat". As your body moves and spine changes tilt, it keeps the disc "flat".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLo97jXn5Wo&t=5m25s
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 04-09-2020, 11:53 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 402 Times in 275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
...thus the myth of the disc pivot...
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/f...hp?f=2&t=24903
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAKE T
...If you want to hold on longer you have 3 contributing factors:
1. The speed with which you approach the critical point. Slower = easier to hang on.
2. The abruptness of the directional change. Less abrupt = smaller arc radius = easier to hold on.
3. Grip strength.

Holding on from the critical point to the ideal release point has some tricks to it. The "key turn" of the wrist to the forward/down position helps hang on without adding grip pressure (it changes the ergonomics).

Keep in mind the arm itself has to rotate in order to follow the rail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
How to make to the tip of the whip move faster:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...jXn5Wo#t=7m38s
I've been obsessing over grip and trying to better understand what's happening with the wrist at hit point, how to best hold on, use the weight of the disc to sling it, etc. Posting for reference.

Old 03-29-2021, 05:37 AM

Niced 13 Times in 9 Posts

I'm gonna ressurrect this thread because I'm currently experimenting with this release, and there is really nowhere else where people talk about this. For me it feels like you can just set the angle with the side of your thumb at release (nose and hyzer angle sort of overlaps depending on exactly how the release occurs). It only works if you're properly hitting, otherwise you just push the nose up. Also, imo the thumb does not need to point toward the middle of the disc for this to work, the side of the thumb just need to be in contact with the flight plate.

Not all pros do this, simon and eagle do, mcbeth does not for example. Personally I feel like the less power you put on it, the harder it is to control the nose angle with the wrist roll counterclockwise release. For shorter upshots I don't know if I like it yet. But for drives it feels much better for the arm to extend like this (with the back of your hand towards the sky). Sometimes my bicep/elbow crease area is sore after I practice drives, and I think it comes from doing the more "traditional" release (with the back of the hand sideways). Trying to extend my elbow this way I feel a lot more resistance in my bicep, especially when keeping the wrist in the pouring coffee position.

Do you guys use this sort of release for all shots (or at all)?

Mcbeth:

Simon (loud noise at the start):

Eagle:

Old 03-29-2021, 08:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 234
Niced 5,072 Times in 3,021 Posts

I typically finish with the back of hand to sky unless I'm trying to turnover something overstable then I finish more like Paul and PP.

Kyle Klein has some crazy roll under and weird grip.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:51 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 10
Niced 585 Times in 332 Posts

This may sound silly, but would someone do this for me? Take a pen and indicate with a dot the exact points where each finger pad makes contact with the rim. Maybe for a distance driver.

Or, if there is flexibility in this grip and/or finger position changes with each shot, then it may not be helpful.
Old 04-01-2021, 04:55 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.1
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 727 Times in 362 Posts

I don't have big hands, so I find certain grips a bit challenging. Since reading this thread (the past 2 days), I've been trying out the DFP. For me, my pointer finger is hooked inside the lip, my thumb and index finger are extended towards the middle of the disc like I'm snapping my fingers. Ring and pinkie are tucked in to the disc like a power grip. I'm getting extra distance--maybe 50 feet. I think it will really evolve my distance throwing. It feels like it rips out of my hand compared to my prior efforts.
Old 04-07-2021, 02:19 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 337 Times in 168 Posts

These might be a bit off because my wrist is tilted to show the placement from above... but it's close.

"Standard" grip

"DFP" grip

I naturally fall somewhere between these and haven't experimented with extremes since originally posting in this thread. I'll revisit it again soon.
Old 04-07-2021, 03:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 10
Niced 585 Times in 332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk_evns View Post
These might be a bit off because my wrist is tilted to show the placement from above... but it's close.

"Standard" grip

"DFP" grip

I naturally fall somewhere between these and haven't experimented with extremes since originally posting in this thread. I'll revisit it again soon.
—-
Thank you. I tried to normalize the hand position for both images. Would you say your fingers are exactly the same and the only difference is thumb position?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02F4F30C-69E0-4716-BF02-066B7D4DE5E2.jpg (161.3 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 1AFC4A66-3F17-42E0-9C70-4E26DDD7D4CC.jpg (163.6 KB, 71 views)

Old 04-08-2021, 07:46 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 337 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedlings View Post
-
Thank you. I tried to normalize the hand position for both images. Would you say your fingers are exactly the same and the only difference is thumb position?
Correct.

I power grip everything the same way. Thumb just moves towards the middle of the disc.

It feels like I have less leverage to press my thumb down, but I can pretty easily deform the flight plate when I squeeze.