Old 05-12-2021, 01:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,163 Times in 873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
I just quoted a bunch of the posts from the past week or so.

As far as Shryke comparisons, I've only thrown one or two Champion Shrykes and found that the Katanas I have used have noticeably MORE turn. I purchased the Shryke to see if it would replace my Champ Katana (mainly for forehand max distance) but it didn't work out well. The Star Shrykes I have thrown were very flippy but I haven't thrown enough Star Katanas to know how they compare.

Having thrown many Nukes and Katanas, I've never noticed much difference in the rim. They feel pretty close in my opinion...

As far as variation, I agree that the Katanas I have liked have some dome, and the duds have been flatter. Katanas are one mold I will never buy online because I know what I like. Even then, there's significant variation. In general, I think this is true for any speed 12 or 13 driver due to the wing width and how the molding process affects wing shape and flight.
Katanas are maddening because even if you find one that looks good, it still may fly lousy. About a month ago I threw a perfect LOOKING champ Katana. Big dome, 171g. I expected it to turn fairly easily and absolutely bomb. Not the case. It won't turn at all, and glides like crap.

I agree with your assessment that flatter drivers typically don't produce good results. For max distance I definitely want something with a dome.

If you really want to explore disc madness, try messing with Vulcans. I've never bagged a Vulcan, but I've found and thrown quite a few of them. Almost all stars, but a couple G*s and 1 champion mixed in. If the Katana is frustrating, the Vulcan is more so. They can range from SUUUPPEERRR flippy to ridiculously flat, beefy, and glideless. The Vulcan is like the Nuke SS in that it can provide out-of-sight distance, but is generally too flippy to throw adequately. Problem is, you may also get a Vulcan that flies like an XCaliber.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 05-12-2021, 06:32 PM
Par Member

Niced 21 Times in 18 Posts

have to try the star katanas a used to be super good with any khatana and I bought them for the big turn and fade now chamops1 have minimal turn.. Today I went throe 3 katanas and a star destroyer and a boss that match the wing profileof 1 khatana... All had big pop top domes.. The Orange one flew very similarly to the boss except had a bigger dome so when I caught it right really moved it was the most over stable and longestflier of all.. There was a pop top slightly flatter wing khatana that was unremarkable.. The pop top sake destroyer was the overall best performing consistently long straight flier.. The boss was slightly less stable than the katanas but also had less glide for whatever reason. So in a nutshellI've no idea what yu get for the long big turnover I find myself using destroyers which really doesn't make sense to me a. These are slightly understandable bomby floating discs..and they won't flip.. The katanas or long stable discs..... Throwing forehand into a breeze I found my Orange one to be my best flyer straight stable Glidy.. Longer more accurate than the destroyer it's just not what I expect.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 31.3
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 4,201 Times in 1,287 Posts

I probably mentioned this before, but I knew an engineer who was really interested in understanding the flight of discs. He would buy several of the same weight and plastic, try to throw them the same and record their flights. He said certain molds were fairly predictable and if thrown the same way, they could generally achieve repeatable flight patterns. He said the most frustrating and inconsistent disc that he tested was the Katana.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-13-2021, 09:23 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 49
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,161 Times in 691 Posts

Throwing Katanas is a right of passage. Find a good one, crush it super far, go buy backups, and find that the backups are nothing like the one you fell in love with. Then go back to whatever driver you threw before Katanas.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-13-2021, 01:39 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 55
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
Throwing Katanas is a right of passage. Find a good one, crush it super far, go buy backups, and find that the backups are nothing like the one you fell in love with. Then go back to whatever driver you threw before Katanas.
unless you were lucky enough to find Cowtana and buy a stack
Old 05-13-2021, 04:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,163 Times in 873 Posts
Default G* Katana

The G* Katana is an often forgotten/unmentioned variant. If you're lucky enough to find a G* Katana with a little dome, it could be the longest thing you've ever thrown.

However, all the same warnings still apply to G* Katanas as they do for other plastics. I've thrown a couple really overstable G*s that wouldn't do anything.

A perfect G* Katana is perhaps the holy grail of ultimate distance. They are ridiculously long.

Old 05-14-2021, 09:17 PM
Par Member

had a couple satisfying kat throws today...first drive
hit just right..mild turn..caught the breeze took a lift..small fade wind broght it right back..birdy ..420ft easy drive...other was a hyzer flip dart into the wind with the stable one...threw 2 kats both were good...for understable downwind...my fave is my flippy opto king... I wish it wasn't so flippy and I could use it other than downward because I really love the way it feels.. t perfect for when you are looking to have a drive ride out to the right with the wind behind you ss you know the king will turn
Old 05-15-2021, 03:59 AM
Size Queen

Niced 339 Times in 233 Posts

I had crazy long throw with my GStar Katana yesterday myself. Hole is 365 and has a fence behind it 40-50 feet and I flew into the fence long. Without the fence and some skip I think it would have been 425+. Just held the small turn for the longest ways before mildly straightening out. I've been gradually gaining distance this year as well which is nice.

Old 06-02-2021, 09:16 AM
Par Member

i havent found anything interesting to throw or talk about. .....any thoughts...long fast understable

Old 06-02-2021, 04:10 PM

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Star Katana - where ?

Where do I get a Star Katana or 2 or 3 ? Are they gone with COVID ? I found some of the Pro version. I like them for flex or roller forehand.