Old 05-03-2021, 06:13 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 310 Times in 157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhaley View Post
Oh now you guys are all rick fans? LOLOLOL.

Ricky is winning people over, wouldn't you say? I like him more this year than I did last year.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 05-03-2021, 01:05 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 472 Times in 226 Posts

Quote:
Supporting someone when the are at their lowest is commonly refer to humanity not fandom.

Old 05-03-2021, 01:18 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 20
Niced 2,108 Times in 1,168 Posts

Quote:
Oh now you guys are all rick fans?
Probably at least more than they were before. The way he's come back from Lyme disease and the whole public debate that went along with it, is pretty incredible imop. The dude looks healthier now than he did BEFORE he had LD. Plus the incredible high level consistent play on the course, the social make over, dealing with personal adversity, etc. For the most part...2021 is all about Ricky.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-04-2021, 11:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 212
Niced 1,083 Times in 677 Posts

For my part, I thought Ricky was already becoming the favorite right around the time he crashed from the Lyme. Also for my part, I am very sorry about his sister, happy to see him playing well through the difficult times in his family... but also happy Paul came away with the win.

Old 05-04-2021, 12:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 92
Niced 1,990 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:

It's weird - almost like if someone actually tries to change their image/attitude that people can change their minds about them. For better, or worse. I think Ricky has had some social anxiety in the past that made him harder to like, but he's obviously been working on a lot of things that aren't just golf, so good on him. And yes, he has said some things that I don't agree with - but I don't think that he's a bad human being.

People are still allowed to change their minds, right?

Last edited by VictorB; 05-04-2021 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:31 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 431 Times in 163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post

People are still allowed to change their minds, right?

No soup for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2021, 02:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 148
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,300 Times in 529 Posts

At this point in the season, if I had to pick one player most likely to win MPO Worlds, it's Ricky.

Reasoning:

Worlds is 3 rounds at The Fort and 2 rounds at Mulligans. In my opinion, Texas States at the Dogwood course is the closest proxy we've seen this year to The Fort. Ricky won that against basically the full field of top-tier MPO players. If he can bring that level of woods golf to Worlds, that's a massive advantage.

And what about Mulligans? Well, Ricky won the Utah Open 2017 and 2018, back when it was played at Mulligans exclusively. So he's got some experience and comfort level there. I think that more of the top players can score well at that type of course. But looking at the recent Jonesboro and DDO finishes, Ricky can certainly contend with the big(ger) arms on bomber courses.

To oversimplify: Mulligans is a draw, but Ricky separates himself at The Fort. (IFF he brings his A-game...but that is true for anyone chasing a world title.)

Bonus reasoning: I heard McBeth already peaked.

Old 05-04-2021, 05:19 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 18
Niced 310 Times in 157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowBot View Post
At this point in the season, if I had to pick one player most likely to win MPO Worlds, it's Ricky.

Reasoning:

Worlds is 3 rounds at The Fort and 2 rounds at Mulligans. In my opinion, Texas States at the Dogwood course is the closest proxy we've seen this year to The Fort. Ricky won that against basically the full field of top-tier MPO players. If he can bring that level of woods golf to Worlds, that's a massive advantage.

And what about Mulligans? Well, Ricky won the Utah Open 2017 and 2018, back when it was played at Mulligans exclusively. So he's got some experience and comfort level there. I think that more of the top players can score well at that type of course. But looking at the recent Jonesboro and DDO finishes, Ricky can certainly contend with the big(ger) arms on bomber courses.

To oversimplify: Mulligans is a draw, but Ricky separates himself at The Fort. (IFF he brings his A-game...but that is true for anyone chasing a world title.)

Bonus reasoning: I heard McBeth already peaked.
That seems like good reasoning.

One thing about the Fort that could make a difference is how luck-based the course has been. The last Utah Open, not counting the temp holes due to flooding, that course was a bit stupid with how it could punish great throws, and how there wasn't always a reasonable line. If they cleaned it up since then, and made it more of a test of skill, then Ricky's chances are even better imo.

Old 05-04-2021, 05:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 4
Niced 826 Times in 408 Posts

I think the more rounds played in a particular tournament, the more likely it will be Paul and Ricky at the end.

Picking one over the other seems a pretty narrow margin.