Old 04-20-2021, 08:10 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 152
Niced 1,132 Times in 591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Pacific View Post
Time spent enjoyed is time not wasted. There is a documentary floating around I'll try and dig it up later where they talked to a whole bunch of people on their death beds about their life regrets. The one common theme and most talked about response, and something I'll certainly never forget, is that they all said, without fail, that they spent far too much time working, careerism, and taking things far too seriously and not enough time for themselves, family and friends, having fun and enjoying the moments as they came.

You're right though, everyone isn't driven by the same things.
That doesn't mean that those people had the same idea of joy or fun as you do - is more to what I mean. For example, for me, I find a LOT of joy in competition. Pursuit of greatness in a true personal passion isn't near the same as pursuing a paycheck in a mid-level bureaucratic position. I don't disagree with the general concept - experience what you can, because you won't get the time back. But I disagree with the notion that Paige necessarily needs to be "careful" in the way you described. Obviously personal to her - but the message seemed to impress your particular idea of joy onto another. I would have agreed far more with your post without the "warning."
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2021, 08:14 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,178 Times in 535 Posts

Quote:
Time spent enjoyed is time not wasted. There is a documentary floating around I'll try and dig it up later where they talked to a whole bunch of people on their death beds about their life regrets. The one common theme and most talked about response, and something I'll certainly never forget, is that they all said, without fail, that they spent far too much time working, careerism, and taking things far too seriously and not enough time for themselves, family and friends, having fun and enjoying the moments as they came.

I've seen a lot of people reference that documentary. Or something similar. There is probably a really good chance that it was curated to make that point. Or maybe it wasn't, but there is some confirmation bias from the viewers.

I've encountered a LOT of people middle aged and beyond that regretted that they didn't push harder when they were young(er).

Niced: (1)
Old 04-20-2021, 08:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.1
Courses Played: 217
Niced 2,176 Times in 854 Posts

Quote:

Spousal Unit worked on a cancer ward and talked to lots of old folks as they were dying. She found that people regretted the things they had NOT done, rather than the things they had done.

But maybe the folks who say "Hold my beer" too often don't make it to old age?

Old 04-20-2021, 09:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 10
Niced 2,445 Times in 1,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocacy View Post
Spousal Unit worked on a cancer ward and talked to lots of old folks as they were dying. She found that people regretted the things they had NOT done, rather than the things they had done.

But maybe the folks who say "Hold my beer" too often don't make it to old age?
I'm guessing that narrative changes immensely in the ER vs the cancer ward.

But I have similar experiences. I worked in a nursing home back in highschool. Lots of old fellas passing on wisdom...or "wisdom".... But the sentiment there seemed the same. No one regrets what they did, it's what they didn't (other than one old guy missing an arm and a leg....and a few regrettable tattoo choices.) One conversation with an old gentleman convinced me to talk to a beautiful CNA that worked there. Way out of my league. Fast forward nearly 13 years, that is the girl I now call my wife and the mother to my children.

Last edited by jakebake91; 04-20-2021 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:56 AM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 47.1
Courses Played: 458
Niced 2,776 Times in 1,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
... Fast forward nearly 13 years, that is the girl I now call my wife and the mother to my children.
Is she aware of this?

Niced: (3)
Old 04-20-2021, 09:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 10
Niced 2,445 Times in 1,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Is she aware of this?
Aware that we got married and she birthed my two children? I'm fairly certain she noticed by now hahaha

Old 04-20-2021, 10:13 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 727 Times in 327 Posts
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post
I've encountered a LOT of people middle aged and beyond that regretted that they didn't push harder when they were young(er).
Well so here's a middle aged person who states otherwise. I spent far too much time in my 20s and 30s working too hard, chasing careerism, taking things too seriously, and pushed way too much. If I could redo those years I would for sure have followed my original post above advice. Hence, why I wrote what I did, because I'm now practicing what I preach.

Old 04-20-2021, 10:29 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 116 Times in 68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxdawg10 View Post
Anyone 21 and younger would have better odds at 8.5 rounds.
I guess no one told Climo.
Old 04-20-2021, 10:36 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 5
Niced 1,178 Times in 535 Posts

Quote:
Well so here's a middle aged person who states otherwise. I spent far too much time in my 20s and 30s working too hard, chasing careerism, taking things too seriously, and pushed way too much. If I could redo those years I would for sure have followed my original post above advice. Hence, why I wrote what I did, because I'm now practicing what I preach.
I don't disagree.

My point is that both sides are out there. I met a lot of people in public nursing homes that were a financial burden on their kids and deeply regretted that. One side just isn't useful for inspirational pieces.

Niced: (1)

Old 04-20-2021, 10:58 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 152
Niced 1,132 Times in 591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby snack View Post
I guess no one told Climo.
I think 21 was definitely the wrong age to use as an example. But I also think there's a nugget of truth to the idea that an 8.5 round Worlds is a younger competitor's length of event, and I dare say that would probably correlate with touring all-year-long and having the best overall season given lil aches and pains. After all - Climo stopped climbing this particular mountain every year once he hit 30 years old (admittedly he still won 3 more Worlds, and won 2 more in the next 4 years - but he was also just SO far ahead of the field of that era).