Old 04-20-2021, 11:29 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 116 Times in 68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
I think 21 was definitely the wrong age to use as an example. But I also think there's a nugget of truth to the idea that an 8.5 round Worlds is a younger competitor's length of event, and I dare say that would probably correlate with touring all-year-long and having the best overall season given lil aches and pains. After all - Climo stopped climbing this particular mountain every year once he hit 30 years old (admittedly he still won 3 more Worlds, and won 2 more in the next 4 years - but he was also just SO far ahead of the field of that era).
That was my point. At 21, most players are just starting to mature and they still have youth on their side.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 04-20-2021, 01:07 PM
Par Member

Niced 129 Times in 87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby snack View Post
I guess no one told Climo.

Or Ron Russell, he was in mid 30s when he beat Climo in 1999. I was being slightly facetious, but I believe guys like Eagle and the other young guns today would have an advantage regarding stamina over 8.5 rounds. Maybe I'm wrong, since there is a stronger emphasis on fitness at the top level now.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 90
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 82 Times in 45 Posts

I like how Brodie’s putting goes downhill and everyone’s like, “every pro has a slump from time to time,” but PP has a couple of bad tournaments and everyone says, “stick a fork in her, she’s done.”

Old 04-21-2021, 09:56 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 10
Niced 138 Times in 77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenb View Post
I like how Brodie’s putting goes downhill and everyone’s like, “every pro has a slump from time to time,” but PP has a couple of bad tournaments and everyone says, “stick a fork in her, she’s done.”
Anyone thinking she is done at this point is certainly being silly in my opinion. When you are the best at something though, more people are going to speculate on what might be the reason. Even when it likely to be a combination of things.

She is going to win some big events this season, I'm sure. The competition is stepping up though so when she is off a round or two it is going to be tougher than ever to win.

I think she will win sooner than later. She has too much talent and drive to stay below her high expectations for long.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 92
Niced 2,114 Times in 1,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxdawg10 View Post
Or Ron Russell, he was in mid 30s when he beat Climo in 1999. I was being slightly facetious, but I believe guys like Eagle and the other young guns today would have an advantage regarding stamina over 8.5 rounds. Maybe I'm wrong, since there is a stronger emphasis on fitness at the top level now.
Not necessarily true.

I think the McBeth&Simon video was a good example. I think younger guys (and those with the mentality) are probably overthrowing or trying to reach shots that take more if a toll on your body than older, smarter golfers. After r4 it's a lot more likely that someone who exerts a ton of effort to throw will be done than someone who is more of a "take what the course gives you" kind of player

Old 04-21-2021, 11:39 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 152
Niced 1,132 Times in 591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
Not necessarily true.

I think the McBeth&Simon video was a good example. I think younger guys (and those with the mentality) are probably overthrowing or trying to reach shots that take more if a toll on your body than older, smarter golfers. After r4 it's a lot more likely that someone who exerts a ton of effort to throw will be done than someone who is more of a "take what the course gives you" kind of player
This could be used as a reasonable explanation for why Nikko fell off so hard at Worlds 2008, when he was still a 19 y/o kid. After four rounds of pumping force-flexes on OS plastic the body was off.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:16 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 727 Times in 327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
This could be used as a reasonable explanation for why Nikko fell off so hard at Worlds 2008, when he was still a 19 y/o kid. After four rounds of pumping force-flexes on OS plastic the body was off.
Those were Dave's hometown courses too. Feldberg, in his prime, on his hometown courses in 2008 was going to be tough for anyone, in any era, to beat.

I'm taking Dave on those courses in 2008 against anyone current or past. He won playing 8.5 rounds for a reason, nobody was beating him that week. He beat prime time Climo, Schultz, Doss, Jenkins, Anthon, a whole host of killers

Check out this list of gun slingers

https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/7276#MPO

Last edited by Nick Pacific; 04-21-2021 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.1
Courses Played: 122
Niced 3,887 Times in 1,513 Posts

I think y'all vastly overestimate the physical difficulty of playing disc golf... while it takes a toll on certain body parts over time it isn't like running a triathlon.

Old 04-21-2021, 12:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 92
Niced 2,114 Times in 1,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
I think y'all vastly overestimate the physical difficulty of playing disc golf... while it takes a toll on certain body parts over time it isn't like running a triathlon.
The physical difficulty of how I play disc golf is not high, and it still wears me out when I have a big weekend of like 5-6 rounds. But I'm out of shape and old and my courses aren't really that difficult to navigate. I'm also not a 'real' pro and sit at a desk far too much for my job.

I'd imagine that even the best conditioned pros will have issues over 8 rounds on most world champ level courses, both physically and mentally.

Old 04-21-2021, 01:03 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 512 Times in 250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Climbing up and down the hill on the dam side of Lake Marshall 8 times on a 99 degree day sure made me feel like I participated in a triathlon.

In retrospect there is a difference between 2 round day versus a single round day at worlds.