Old 04-21-2021, 01:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 31.2
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 4,043 Times in 1,234 Posts

I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate that most pros are not in triathlon shape.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2021, 01:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 152
Niced 1,104 Times in 579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Pacific View Post
Those were Dave's hometown courses too. Feldberg, in his prime, on his hometown courses in 2008 was going to be tough for anyone, in any era, to beat.

I'm taking Dave on those courses in 2008 against anyone current or past. He won playing 8.5 rounds for a reason, nobody was beating him that week. He beat prime time Climo, Schultz, Doss, Jenkins, Anthon, a whole host of killers

Check out this list of gun slingers

https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/7276#MPO
However, through 4 rounds on those layouts Nikko had him by 3. And had Nikko continued playing at that level on those same layouts Nikko would have won the event. However, relevant to the point I was making, Nikko went from 1061 golf in the first 4 rounds to 998 golf in the next 4 rounds. In response to Victor stating that players using a max-effort style may be more likely to be fatigued - I wondered if that may be why Nikko had such an extreme drop off in play. If it was a problem with not knowing the courses, he wouldn't have had such a stellar first four rounds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe
I think y'all vastly overestimate the physical difficulty of playing disc golf... while it takes a toll on certain body parts over time it isn't like running a triathlon.
These aren't triathletes, and max effort at the task they train their bodies for is going to cause fatigue in the tissues associated with the activity. I don't think anyone is overestimating the physicality here thus far.
Old 04-21-2021, 02:19 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 721 Times in 325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
However, through 4 rounds on those layouts Nikko had him by 3. And had Nikko continued playing at that level on those same layouts Nikko would have won the event. However, relevant to the point I was making, Nikko went from 1061 golf in the first 4 rounds to 998 golf in the next 4 rounds. In response to Victor stating that players using a max-effort style may be more likely to be fatigued - I wondered if that may be why Nikko had such an extreme drop off in play. If it was a problem with not knowing the courses, he wouldn't have had such a stellar first four rounds.

Probably some truth to that. There's so many variables though. In terms of fatigue I would think even with how hard Nikko threw, at 145 lbs he is carrying around a LOT less weight than Dave or anyone else in MPO, and he's 19 at the time. Hard to say. I think his lack of experience at the time was the biggest factor. There is a mental side to staying consistent and keeping your head in the game day after day that only comes with experience. Worlds being 8.5 rounds during that time leaves no room for a player having a couple hot rounds/good days. The top dog cream of the crop is rising after 8.5 rounds, and I think on that week nobody, past or present, was beating Dave out there, it was just his time.
Old 04-21-2021, 02:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Pacific View Post
Probably some truth to that. There's so many variables though. In terms of fatigue I would think even with how hard Nikko threw, at 145 lbs he is carrying around a LOT less weight than Dave or anyone else in MPO, and he's 19 at the time.
I don't think his weight is really pertinent - at least where I'm focusing my fatigue point. The fatigue would be more in the muscles and tissues around the arm/shoulder/elbow, with him throwing so many force-flexes with OS plastic.
Old 04-21-2021, 03:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 734 Times in 434 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
That doesn't mean that those people had the same idea of joy or fun as you do - is more to what I mean. For example, for me, I find a LOT of joy in competition. Pursuit of greatness in a true personal passion isn't near the same as pursuing a paycheck in a mid-level bureaucratic position. I don't disagree with the general concept - experience what you can, because you won't get the time back. But I disagree with the notion that Paige necessarily needs to be "careful" in the way you described. Obviously personal to her - but the message seemed to impress your particular idea of joy onto another. I would have agreed far more with your post without the "warning."
Given similar thoughts, how do you compare that to the way Juliana walked away? Or what might today's people be saying if Juliana happened in the 2010s like Paige did, then walked away?
Old 04-21-2021, 03:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
Given similar thoughts, how do you compare that to the way Juliana walked away? Or what might today's people be saying if Juliana happened in the 2010s like Paige did, then walked away?
I don't know any of the specifics of the situation. Can you elaborate?
The only details I have are... Korver was one of the best in the sport's history, the best female, and at about 35 years old she cut back her play dramatically. The only mild assumption I'd made was that she was more interested in other disc sports and chose to focus on them.
Old 04-21-2021, 03:52 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 229 Times in 109 Posts

Competitive people are not motivated by joy. The thrill of winning is pitifully fleeting and the glory of winning is a comical fabrication. The only way to preserve satisfaction in an athletically competitive past is to live in it, which is a sickeningly sad way to wind down. I personally know both artists and athletes who are wealthy. They are either idiots, or else vaguely ashamed and uncomfortable people. The wages of flushing your life down the toilet, is money. Not joy.
Old 04-21-2021, 04:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armus Patheticus View Post
Competitive people are not motivated by joy. The thrill of winning is pitifully fleeting and the glory of winning is a comical fabrication.
Every single last thing we give meaning to could be described as a comical fabrication.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-21-2021, 08:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 525 Times in 249 Posts

Lol I run ultra marathons guys and after a long day of dg it’s my hips/butt/lower back that fatigue out more than my arm.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 225
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 277 Times in 163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehaas View Post
Lol I run ultra marathons guys and after a long day of dg it’s my hips/butt/lower back that fatigue out more than my arm.
I run regularly as well (not ultra- far though haha) and this is also the case for me.

Last edited by kevdiv48; 04-22-2021 at 08:25 AM.