Never mind wrong thread
Old 04-30-2021, 02:50 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 197
Niced 324 Times in 133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Women typically have more life altering challenges to sort out in their 20s and 30s that can affect their willingness and ability to tour, with perhaps the relationship-nesting-want children yes/no? being the most prominent issues for many during that time period. Although having/making enough money significantly influences the willingness to tour for both men and women, the pool of money available supports fewer women than men, and during JK's reign 20 years ago, much less money.
On this note, but unrelated to PP, Paige Shue is playing above her rating so far in the DDO, four months after giving birth. I can't imagine she's had much time to practice at all in the past six months. Amazing stuff. Though of course I don't think she and Grady will be able to handle full-on touring this year.

Old 05-14-2021, 12:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 513 Times in 241 Posts

Wow, when asked about skipping DDO the initial reaction was if Iím not feeling an event I wonít play it...

Youíd maybe expect that right before a big event, or at the end of the season when youíve been grinding for several months straight and wanna be ready for an event that matters. Not really early in the season, thatís what the off season is for.

Then to bag on your old sponsor saying itís a weak course and thatís why you didnít play...when youíre the longest throwing female and should be the favorite to win based on the course...doesnít add up. To hype this course and say itís what you prefer to play...if you donít finish well youíve kinda ran out of excuses to give...

Then to go on about saying no to everybody and keeping your phone in your car. No doubt all the top talent is being pulled in a million directions for other obligations, but when youíre being paid as the best expectations change unfortunately. Donít want the extra distractions? Give up the big sponsorship contract and go back to being a bump on a log and blending in.

Massive difference in attitude when comparing her tournament interview to Simonís...whoís not played all year and part of last due to him getting silly and burning out his arm during lockdown. Wouldíve been real easy for him to make excuses but he didnít.

Sounds harsh but itís all about how you frame conversations. If youíve got a million side projects that youíve been fortunate to line up due to your stellar play then pitch it that way. Hey, Iíve had a ton of new opportunities pop up this off season, didnít get a chance to tune up as much as I wanted and it showed early. I decided I needed more time to get where I need to be so I skipped a couple of events to iron out some kinks. Nobody would be talking about it if thatís what she said. Continuing to dodge and deflect isnít making things any better.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 31.1
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 4,017 Times in 1,223 Posts

Extra props to Kelsey Brakel for a dominant win over Paige in 2008 Am Worlds.

https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/7275

Niced: (1)
Old 05-14-2021, 09:05 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 534 Times in 278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehaas View Post
it seems that Paige's idea of "professionalism" is very different from what you or I would probably think

Old 05-15-2021, 08:47 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 451 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehaas View Post
Wow, when asked about skipping DDO the initial reaction was if Iím not feeling an event I wonít play it...

Youíd maybe expect that right before a big event, or at the end of the season when youíve been grinding for several months straight and wanna be ready for an event that matters. Not really early in the season, thatís what the off season is for.

Then to bag on your old sponsor saying itís a weak course and thatís why you didnít play...when youíre the longest throwing female and should be the favorite to win based on the course...doesnít add up. To hype this course and say itís what you prefer to play...if you donít finish well youíve kinda ran out of excuses to give...

Then to go on about saying no to everybody and keeping your phone in your car. No doubt all the top talent is being pulled in a million directions for other obligations, but when youíre being paid as the best expectations change unfortunately. Donít want the extra distractions? Give up the big sponsorship contract and go back to being a bump on a log and blending in.

Massive difference in attitude when comparing her tournament interview to Simonís...whoís not played all year and part of last due to him getting silly and burning out his arm during lockdown. Wouldíve been real easy for him to make excuses but he didnít.

Sounds harsh but itís all about how you frame conversations. If youíve got a million side projects that youíve been fortunate to line up due to your stellar play then pitch it that way. Hey, Iíve had a ton of new opportunities pop up this off season, didnít get a chance to tune up as much as I wanted and it showed early. I decided I needed more time to get where I need to be so I skipped a couple of events to iron out some kinks. Nobody would be talking about it if thatís what she said. Continuing to dodge and deflect isnít making things any better.
She didn't call the course weak, she called it lackluster. Both of those courses for DDO were lackluster, and you can go listen to the DGAM podcasts done during DDO and listen to current DD players like Oakley and Clemons say as much.

You are likely to see more top players skipping events now that they can afford to do so. Eagle has been doing it for years (Ledgestone, for one). That's a good thing. If someone is feeling burned out, they shouldn't be forcing themselves into playing a course/event that they don't enjoy playing.

Unless her contracts say otherwise, she is under no obligation to say yes to everyone that asks for her time. There isn't a lack of interviews with her in the last few years, and the number of potential things she could say yes to has really increased over the last year. Well within her right to pull back and be more selective. I imagine at some point soon, if she hasn't already, she'll be like Ricky and pay someone else to manager of social media for her. You make the phone thing to be a way bigger deal than it is. She's keeping her phone in the car so she's not distracted during rounds.

Old 05-15-2021, 10:03 AM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 17
Courses Played: 349
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 6,185 Times in 2,607 Posts

She seemed pretty honest and believable to me. She's been at the top of the game and the biggest name for quite a while. I can see how the grind can get tiresome.

She's more than earned the right to pick and choose which events she wants to play in. Maybe her more lucrative contract frees her up to do just that, so she doesn't necessarily feel like she needs enter every event grab all the cash she can.

If it come down to seeing an enthusiastic player less often, vs. a burnt out player more often, I'll take the former.

Old 05-16-2021, 08:43 AM
Banned

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Just an observation but does anybody actually watch Paige throw? Like she whips through so hard that her whole upper body will twist well before her legs and knees do. She’s young, but wouldn’t be surprised if dealing with injuries. It’s kind of like the whole thing with Simon, there’s a point where people are throwing “too hard.” Just my opinion of course.

Niced: (1)

Old 05-16-2021, 09:34 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 20
Niced 454 Times in 231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perklc View Post
I imagine at some point soon, if she hasn't already, she'll be like Ricky and pay someone else to manager of social media for her. You make the phone thing to be a way bigger deal than it is. She's keeping her phone in the car so she's not distracted during rounds.
Just FYI, that's one of the things she mentioned in an interview just before she went on the break. She said she had just hired someone to do her social media and that previously she had been producing, editing, etc. all of her content.

Paige has, to me, looked like she has been "in her head" more since she started slipping that lead at the LVC. Missing short putts, yanking tee shots, etc., happens to everyone, but it seems to have then affected her mentality going forward on the next hole. Seemed especially prominent at that B-tier. Could be totally wrong, but having too many things you are trying to focus on all at once seems like a good way to lose some mental game on the course.

Also kinda curious what big thing she can't talk about yet. Probably a little more hype than not, but still curious.

Niced: (2)