Old 08-13-2018, 11:15 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 5 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpled View Post
SkyDog, I assume you’re asking about faster discs given what you already bag. Amongst my Innova loving friends, lightweight Roadrunners, Sidewinders, Valkyries, Archons and Wraiths all remain popular. Amongst distance drivers, lightweight Shrykes are favored along with Terns. Under stability and lighter weights are the recurring theme. I really like Innova’s GStar plastic, btw. My bag is mostly Trilogy discs so I favor the Westside King, Destiny, Northman and the Dynamic Discs Escape. I throw them all forehand and backhand. I have had some of my longest throws with lighter discs, but don’t bag them because I’ve had some of my wildest throws with those same discs.
Probably not going to hit the high speed discs for a bit until I get solid with the fairway drivers. I have an RPro Wahoo in the collection that I could throw pretty well on occasion, but I would like to get to the point where I am so comfortable/accurate with my fairways that I am really looking for a new challenge. I am thinking about getting a lightweight Thunderbird and Roc3’s to fight the windy days, but those are probably down the road a bit.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2018, 11:20 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 7
Niced 5 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eegor View Post
I see you have a plan. When you do decide to buy some new discs, the easiest distance around (especially when you're tired) is the Lat64 Diamond. It's pretty shocking how it keeps gliding without much effort.

Welcome back!
Thank you.

I will have to investigate the Diamond. I have a few Lat 64 discs from my last go around in the collection, but do not remember the molds. I went back through the storage bags last week and found all sorts of treasures that I had forgotten I owned. I guess that is part of the aging process as well.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.5
Courses Played: 125
Niced 2,119 Times in 1,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarkquart View Post
I will agree with this to a degree.

One of the disadvantages of playing for a long time with a diminishing skill set is that playing for a long time ingrains the memories of what you used to be able to do. Meaning that, you have fashioned your game to always driving/ throwing a certain distance, and from there break it down to what distances and situations you feel comfortable throwing your fairways, mids, and approaches. Now, everything changes.

What used to be a putter drive suddenly seems a lot longer because your discs do not seem to throw as far, so now do you use a mid or fairway? What used to be an easy par three because you were able to crush 350-400 or more and then had less than 50-100 foot upshot, suddenly becomes a scary par because now you are 100-150 feet away and not used to throwing such longer upshots.

When your skillset diminishes, it can be very frustrating because you know you used to be able to make that shot. Now you are relearning your game just as much as a new player is discovering it for the first time, except there can be a higher level of frustration on your part versus a new player who still only sees potential. The only advantage you still have is that you understand angles, footwork, etc; now it is just a matter of readjusting your body (age or injury) to meet what you know it should be able to still do.
Exactly.

I've been known to say that my toughest opponent is the ghost of my former self.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:44 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 97
Niced 20 Times in 11 Posts

I have to agree with eegor on the Lat 64 Diamond. I currently carry 14 disc in my bag, and two of them are Diamonds, one Opto and a Recycled line. I've also have had good results with a StarLite Mamba in weights under 150 grams as a turnover disc in my bag.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.5
Courses Played: 125
Niced 2,119 Times in 1,007 Posts

A couple of things I've noticed about the disc line-ups of long-timer old-timers:

(1) They often have some rather eccentric choices in their bags.

(2) They don't care what anyone else thinks about that.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:44 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 160
Niced 60 Times in 34 Posts

Turning 50 this year, started playing around 35. Got serious about tournaments about 10 years ago. Usually at least once or twice a round I have drives that are "best drive I've ever had" on holes I've been playing for years. So I definitely feel that I am still learning and getting better, technique-wise.

These days it seems harder to handle the heat in the summer though...toward the end of a 2-round tournament day, my game seems to really suffer when it's hot and humid. I might have to lay off summer tournaments.

Bring on the Fall weather!
Old 08-14-2018, 06:05 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 40.6
Courses Played: 1313
Niced 122 Times in 51 Posts

Yeah, I think I’m about an average player when compared to all the other 66 year old men in the world. That’s probably not very impressive when you realize that a majority of those 66 year olds have never even heard of disc golf!

Niced: (3)
Old 08-14-2018, 11:38 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 58 Times in 47 Posts

I imagine one of the biggest things in getting older is keeping up with play is stretching everyday.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:23 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 14
Niced 49 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHearChains View Post
Turning 50 this year, started playing around 35. Got serious about tournaments about 10 years ago. Usually at least once or twice a round I have drives that are "best drive I've ever had" on holes I've been playing for years. So I definitely feel that I am still learning and getting better, technique-wise.

These days it seems harder to handle the heat in the summer though...toward the end of a 2-round tournament day, my game seems to really suffer when it's hot and humid. I might have to lay off summer tournaments.

Bring on the Fall weather!
I agree that as you get older things such as heat/humidity will definitely affect you physically (turning 61 on next b'day). If I play one of the highest rated courses in my state (The Canyons - only about a 30 min drive from home) I won't play it on a hot and humid day. Climbing the elevation changes and a couple of really long walks between some baskets and the next tees will really kick my arse! If you take any type of medications such as bp meds (I get the pleasure of taking 2 bp meds) it makes it even worse. The bad things about fall weather around my parts (used to be my favorite season) is that all it does is rain and the temps all of sudden are a good 10 degrees "below normal" every day. Thus we lose a good month and a half off the end of the season every year.

Last edited by Chaz58; 08-15-2018 at 02:26 AM.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:31 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 14
Niced 49 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Valkyrie Kid View Post
Yeah, I think I’m about an average player when compared to all the other 66 year old men in the world. That’s probably not very impressive when you realize that a majority of those 66 year olds have never even heard of disc golf!
Yeah, the game just wasn't around back when we were younger (early to mid 70's), and when it did come about it certainly wasn't popular at all around my area. I would have LOVED to have found this game back when I was still in good shape, coming off of playing a lot of sports thru the high school years and had no physical ailments.