Old 06-28-2017, 08:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 51
Niced 1,593 Times in 294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
Great first post, thanks for chiming in.

I did play with an MVP sponsored player a few weeks ago, he was warming up for a local tournament and I was getting a round in while I could since I wouldn't be able to play the tournament and the course would be closed all weekend. Gotta say, he is a good guy and pretty good representative of the sport and your brand.
Spencer's a great dude
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 06-28-2017, 08:52 PM
DGCR Site Sponsor

Niced 65 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Welcome Steve... Since you said you have already been lurking around here, I probably don't need to give you these two pieces of advice but...

Lol - I am very aware of the levels of trolling that happen on the internet.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,850 Times in 750 Posts

So MVP_Steve you're saying just because everyone else is doing it does not mean you should too...Gotta say I respect that. Thanks for coming on the forum and explaining this. It is appreciated.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 53
Niced 4,459 Times in 2,352 Posts

That didn't take long... smh
Old 06-28-2017, 09:06 PM
DGCR Site Sponsor

What hate?
Old 06-28-2017, 09:08 PM
DGCR Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
So MVP_Steve you're saying just because everyone else is doing it does not mean you should too...Gotta say I respect that. Thanks for coming on the forum and explaining this. It is appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 06-28-2017, 09:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Lol. Now thats how you deal with a troll. Good job.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:36 PM
Big Country

Years Playing: 28.7
Courses Played: 52
Niced 199 Times in 113 Posts

I may be wrong, but I believe MVP/Axiom also sponsors a lot of events...especially the last couple years. I know playing 303 Ams this year (my favorite tournament of the year) we were some of, if not THE, first to get the Streamline Trace.

I feel that sponsoring events nets a better ROI than sponsoring players, even top-tier ones.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:44 PM
* Ace Member *

I t goes both ways. Getting your product in the hands of players via player packs, certainly is a good way to grow your brand. But I would also think if they happened to sponsor a young player that blows up and starts winning a bunch of top level events, that it would also benefit them. Every little bit helps. But I don't think either are necessarily a game breaker either way. A great product and customer service trumps all, imo...

Andy, given your previous troubles, I think you would agree...

Old 06-28-2017, 10:18 PM

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 20
Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP_Steve View Post
Well Hello DGCR,

I am Steve - Marketing and Team Manager for MVP. I get this question quite and lot, and see it quite often. In fact, I got it the same day I started with MVP and took over as Team Manager.

The day I started as Team Manager I was asked, "So - which pro are you going to go after..?" and I quickly replied with, "None."

The same questioning face I got is the same question I see all over the place. Why didn't I just go after a top pro and "get MVP a pro", and the answer is pretty simple. I don't think its the best way to keep a player, and its not the best use of the dollars.

When I came on board, I said Team MVP was about good people first, and good players second, and I still stand by that. I would rather, every time you play a round with a Team MVP member, your day was better. Not because you played better than them, but because they were a genuinely great person to be around.

I get lots of emails every day from people who say, "I throw really far, and putt really well. I want to play for Team MVP!" - and I go through their social media and look to see what kind of a person they are. I want to see them interacting with others, and what they are doing for the sport locally.

You know who I don't want? The guy who goes to your club, wins everything, and never helps. I'm not interested in that guy, and I try and stay away from them.

Same thing with the ladies team. I'm not looking for ladies who "throw far" and everyone hates to be around them.

I would rather go and find players who are genuinely awesome people to be around, and are willing to put in the time it takes to improve their game.

Team MVP is about being the best representative of disc golf you can be, and I believe in growing a great team of people who love our products and the game.

-----------------------

To answer a couple of the other questions -

Yes, I have no problem discussing a contract with a higher level player. I've done multiple 6 figure contract negotiations in my day, and I can tell you that getting a player like Paul or Ricky wouldn't work.

If I walked in a plopped down a huge stack of cash, and told Ricky to wear my uniforms and throw my discs, you know what would happen? He would keep winning with my discs, and everyone would know that its Ricky who is a great player.

It wouldn't prove that our discs are better, because he is already the best.

Plus, what kind of loyalty and relationship do you think is built when you just walk in and scalp a player? I can think of a few other places that have done that, and it didn't work out so well.

A good player, is worth their salt because they are willing to grow with a company, and have the same goals and objectives that the company has.
Wow! I didn't expect this to get the attention of anyone at MVP. Thank you for you response. While I do think having a top pro will help build the brand, what you say here makes sense. Grabbing a young developing player who is already passionate about MVP and letting them develop into a top player will do more to built the brand than pay top dollar for someone.

Someone on here suggested that you are currently seeking some lesser known up and coming players. Any truth to that, and any hints who? Keep making great discs and thanks so much for taking the time to respond!