#451  
Old 10-24-2018, 09:21 AM
DiscnDan DiscnDan is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: FL
Posts: 2
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

McBeth- Discraft
Jones- Discraft
Uli- Discraft
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #452  
Old 10-24-2018, 09:38 AM
Finny Finny is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 294
Niced 136 Times in 70 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
I'm not skeptical in the sense that I don't think those 3 would move. I'm skeptical that Discraft can afford all of the time and attention necessary for those names. I'd bet they get 2/3, and that ain't bad.
Why don't you think they can afford them? Are ultimate sales not what i think they are? Or is time and attention more important than money? Does Charlie have any insight here? I'm sure this will all be discussed.

Part of the massive Discraft move that makes sense to me is that their disc lineup needs a refresh anyway. So creating a bunch of new molds is what they were going to do already, and those molds will sell better will Paul's name on them. Maybe they'll do the same for Jones and Uli, but on a smaller scale. That could explain Jones turning down more money upfront from Prodigy, if that's indeed what happens.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by Finny; 10-24-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #453  
Old 10-24-2018, 09:40 AM
Halcón's Avatar
Halcón Halcón is offline
Free at Last
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 12,006
Niced 1,190 Times in 605 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
Damn. SmashBoxx getting all the hot gossip and info.
I'm a couple weeks behind in watching you guys and I've been trying catch up. So this is sort of a spoiler. But I just wanted to thank you again for putting out a great podcast.
Reply With Quote
  #454  
Old 10-24-2018, 09:54 AM
jfraney43 jfraney43 is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Minnesota
Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 53
Niced 30 Times in 17 Posts
Default

I visited a disc golf store yesterday, got to talking with the owner. I asked about his stock of Z Forces. He said, "the real question is, does Mcbeth like the Force?"

It turns out he was told by his Innova sales rep that Paul is indeed getting picked up by Discraft. Nobody can talk because contract is through January 1st.

I believe this guy 75% I guess, but it's the only real chatter I've heard beyond the speculative interwebs.
Reply With Quote
  #455  
Old 10-24-2018, 09:57 AM
Keller's Avatar
Keller Keller is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Above ground
Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,952
Niced 1,678 Times in 737 Posts
Default

McBeth has spent so much time branding himself, will moving to Discraft ultimately hurt him?

Think of all the hard core Paul fans who would just drop him, not to mention the hard core Discrafters who have and will resent him. Will Anthony Barrella quit disc golf!

I know I'm an old timer in thought, but I have a certain respect for loyalty that does seem somewhat outdated, but if Paul jumped ship, my support for him would drop to a little above zero.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #456  
Old 10-24-2018, 10:02 AM
JC17393 JC17393 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Years Playing: 22.1
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 7,951
Niced 3,944 Times in 1,626 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finny View Post
Why don't you think they can afford them? Are ultimate sales not what i think they are? Or is time and attention more important than money? Does Charlie have any insight here? I'm sure this will all be discussed.

Part of the massive Discraft move that makes sense to me is that their disc lineup needs a refresh anyway. So creating a bunch of new molds is what they were going to do already, and those molds will sell better will Paul's name on them. Maybe they'll do the same for Jones and Uli, but on a smaller scale. That could explain Jones turning down more money upfront from Prodigy, if that's indeed what happened.
Even if Discraft has all this alleged "Ultimate money", why are they investing it in disc golf? If Ultimate is making them so much money (and I don't doubt they make a great deal of money from Ultimate), the right business decision would be to re-invest and continue to grow Ultimate with it, no?

As for the "refresh" of their line, they've been releasing new discs at the same rate as everyone else. In the last two years, they've 7 new molds on the PDGA approved list. In the same time, Innova has 15, though 11 of them are 3-mold variants of previously existing discs. To be fair, two of Discraft's seven are variants on the Challenger (OS and SS). But still, five brand new discs from Discraft, four brand new discs from Innova. Dynamic has seven new approved discs in the same period (not counting Sheriff approved on 12/29/16). Lat64 has ten new molds. Legacy five. Prodigy ten. Westside seven. Discmania five.

Suffice to say, Discraft hasn't gone stale. I can't imagine they've got a great deal of new molds in the works beyond what any other brand might have. And even if they do, is a brand new, unproven mold really an enticement for a player to want their signature on it? Unless they're involved with the creation of the disc, seems to me they'd rather have a proven commodity to make the jump. Especially a guy like McBeth who already has his name on a couple of the best selling discs on the market.
Reply With Quote
  #457  
Old 10-24-2018, 10:05 AM
broomerang broomerang is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: OH
Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,100
Niced 709 Times in 291 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfraney43 View Post
I visited a disc golf store yesterday, got to talking with the owner. I asked about his stock of Z Forces. He said, "the real question is, does Mcbeth like the Force?"

It turns out he was told by his Innova sales rep that Paul is indeed getting picked up by Discraft. Nobody can talk because contract is through January 1st.

I believe this guy 75% I guess, but it's the only real chatter I've heard beyond the speculative interwebs.
For nobody can talk; there is a lot of talk.

This is the same ol speculation turned into "sources" that has existed for eternity.
Reply With Quote
  #458  
Old 10-24-2018, 10:27 AM
Jethoho Jethoho is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 20
Posts: 44
Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomerang View Post
For nobody can talk; there is a lot of talk.

This is the same ol speculation turned into "sources" that has existed for eternity.
I happen to know that Paul is absolutely leaving Innova for Discraft.. Now, it's not in my nature to be mysterious but I can't talk about it and I can't talk about why
Reply With Quote
  #459  
Old 10-24-2018, 10:39 AM
broomerang broomerang is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: OH
Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,100
Niced 709 Times in 291 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethoho View Post
I happen to know that Paul is absolutely leaving Innova for Discraft.. Now, it's not in my nature to be mysterious but I can't talk about it and I can't talk about why
Implying you were trusted enough to be told but then spilled the beans anyway. Yay internet.

I haven't said Paul wouldn't leave, I thought it was unlikely but stranger things have happened.
Reply With Quote
 

  #460  
Old 10-24-2018, 10:42 AM
Jethoho Jethoho is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 20
Posts: 44
Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomerang View Post
Implying you were trusted enough to be told but then spilled the beans anyway. Yay internet.

I haven't said Paul wouldn't leave, I thought it was unlikely but stranger things have happened.
Somebody didn't get the reference...
Attached Images
File Type: png the-joke-you-31838472.png (17.6 KB, 64 views)

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Inevitable 2018 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread Bgso General Disc Golf Chat 882 03-26-2018 12:56 AM
The Inevitable 2017 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread Aim For The Chains General Disc Golf Chat 1267 07-15-2017 06:23 AM
The Inevitable 2016 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread bhadella General Disc Golf Chat 1046 11-11-2016 10:59 PM
Thoughts on Devan Owens switching sponsors SteezeOG General Disc Golf Chat 18 03-02-2014 11:07 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.