Old 07-29-2019, 02:44 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.7
Courses Played: 367
Niced 1,755 Times in 862 Posts

Speaking of spoilers, here are the effects of every hole score for every player who was ranked in the top ten of ratings or top ten in finishing position.

Performance Tracks Charts

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IdlewildPTs2019.jpg (94.3 KB, 247 views)
Sponsored Links

Niced: (3)
Old 07-29-2019, 03:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.1
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
3. Younger viewers are used to this type of recognition these days. It is extremely popular with streaming, which is the reason Superchat was created in the first place. So do we sacrifice what we have come to know in standard professional sports for a more modern system popular with streamers? Honestly not sure what the right answer is.
Ah yes, remember when you used to have to earn recognition? Now you can buy it. BTW - one way you could earn recognition was by having good manners. Every now and then I will accidentally leave the chat up, till I get nauseated and shut it off.

Yes, I realize it provides a way to make money. Sigh.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-29-2019, 05:34 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,266 Times in 1,665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post

Trying not to spam this thread with a bunch of vids but the GG one is pretty good... and he seems like a really cool guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyn1LzSyVDQ
If not here, where? Post away...

Niced: (1)
Old 07-29-2019, 05:41 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,266 Times in 1,665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Speaking of spoilers, here are the effects of every hole score for every player who was ranked in the top ten of ratings or top ten in finishing position.

Performance Tracks Charts

Of all the charts you do, these are the ones I like the most. Thanks for posting them, and keep up the good work.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 328
Niced 264 Times in 112 Posts

Three observationsg about the coverage, based upon my 15 years in the tv news industry.

1. Highlight the player’s name for who is throwing. You really want people to know these players, keep highlighting who’s on screen. We see this in golf coverage.and the players name, and what stroke, is one before every shot.

2. Show more of the leaderboard throughout the round. Let us know how players on other cards are doing. Is someone else making a charge? More info the better.

3. Find a way to show highlights of other players as well. Even if you just have one camera stationed at a signature hole - think #17 at Sawgrass or #16 at Augusta - let’s see other players just to break things up.

Other than that, coverage has come a long way. Very impressive.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:01 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1,983 Times in 470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscGolfCraig View Post
Three observationsg about the coverage, based upon my 15 years in the tv news industry.

1. Highlight the player’s name for who is throwing. You really want people to know these players, keep highlighting who’s on screen. We see this in golf coverage.and the players name, and what stroke, is one before every shot.

2. Show more of the leaderboard throughout the round. Let us know how players on other cards are doing. Is someone else making a charge? More info the better.

3. Find a way to show highlights of other players as well. Even if you just have one camera stationed at a signature hole - think #17 at Sawgrass or #16 at Augusta - let’s see other players just to break things up.

Other than that, coverage has come a long way. Very impressive.
1A. We did that last year when we had a graphics guy (Gary O) who came to the house and was able to hit that for every shot. But now he is a cameraman again and working onsite. So I only have me and I don't remember to hit it everytime. But, I can try to remember more frequently.

2A. I do think we can show the leaderboard more often in general. Totally agree. I try to show it during walks and when we fill time at the booth.

3A. Showing other players would be great as well. It is honestly a logistics issue with that. We can setup another camera and then use that to fill sometime, assuming there is someone at the stationary cam when we need time filled. Otherwise you need an entire additional person to record those shots and feed them to us during downtime. And we don't really have the budget for another person to do that job at the moment. But it is in the grand scheme for sure. That was our plan at GBO when we had a static cam on 17 for a lunch break. But we underestimated the total data usage and ended up having to cut that camera. Just for data alone, that camera could cost us two additional data lines on our monthly bill if we ran it as well.

I appreciate the input, and we will continue to look into ways to improve the broadcasts.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 328
Niced 264 Times in 112 Posts

Quote:
1A. We did that last year when we had a graphics guy (Gary O) who came to the house and was able to hit that for every shot. But now he is a cameraman again and working onsite. So I only have me and I don't remember to hit it everytime. But, I can try to remember more frequently.

2A. I do think we can show the leaderboard more often in general. Totally agree. I try to show it during walks and when we fill time at the booth.

3A. Showing other players would be great as well. It is honestly a logistics issue with that. We can setup another camera and then use that to fill sometime, assuming there is someone at the stationary cam when we need time filled. Otherwise you need an entire additional person to record those shots and feed them to us during downtime. And we don't really have the budget for another person to do that job at the moment. But it is in the grand scheme for sure. That was our plan at GBO when we had a static cam on 17 for a lunch break. But we underestimated the total data usage and ended up having to cut that camera. Just for data alone, that camera could cost us two additional data lines on our monthly bill if we ran it as well.

I appreciate the input, and we will continue to look into ways to improve the broadcasts.
Keep up the fantastic work. I know the feelings of woulda, coulda, shoulda and the dynamic of a live broadcast vs post-prod.

Old 07-30-2019, 12:06 AM
Par Member

Niced 203 Times in 75 Posts

Quote:
I honestly think that the manufacturers are starting to get worn out on sponsoring media in general.
This is the most interesting sentence in the thread to me.

Are they crazy?

Tens of thousands of amateurs buying discs they don't really need is the financial foundation of the whole disc golf industry, especially the professional side of disc golf.

Pro coverage is one great long, clever advertisement for these companies, convincing saps like me to give them yet another 15 dollars in the hopes that THIS disc will fly like the guys I'm watching on youtube.

If pro disc golf didn't exist and somebody at a disc manufacturer just came up with the concept in order to advertise and sell more discs they'd be considered a marketing genius.

Old 07-30-2019, 01:13 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 148
Niced 280 Times in 168 Posts

I guess I'll find out how this went on Tuesday...

Old 07-30-2019, 01:56 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 855 Times in 716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
I guess I'll find out how this went on Tuesday...
Same, I am watching the post production as well, a group that is as good as CCDG. How did GK Productions get that good so quick?