Old 08-06-2019, 02:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,006 Times in 1,833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disc Golf Doctor View Post
Yes, but the mass you are accelerating is mainly the mass of the disc not your mass. And it is easier to accelerate your mass when there is less of it since acceleration = force/mass
You should be using your whole body mass/weightshift to catapult/transfer force to the disc. Gravity accelerates your mass and pendulum swing the same regardless of your mass, so force increases with mass.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2019, 02:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,256 Times in 724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
You should be using your whole body mass/weightshift to catapult/transfer force to the disc. Gravity accelerates your mass and pendulum swing the same regardless of your mass, so force increases with mass.
I think how much mass helps is determinate on what form one uses. Swedish style should be more affected by mass than say bent arm.

Either way, one has to have enough strength to brace properly or the extra mass could be detrimental.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:28 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 507 Times in 210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
Pavel Tsatsouline(if you don't know who he is, do a deep dive on him. Maybe start here) makes the claim that all physical activities depend on strength first, even mobility. He also makes the claim that strength is a skill that must be trained as it has a large neurological component.
Yeah I had read stuff by Pavel and Dan John among others. The importance of strength as a foundation makes sense to me. Also the idea that speed, agility, flexibility, mobility, power, and explosiveness are things that can be improved by getting stronger. I seem to remember an analogy of strength as a bucket, with all the other attributes fitting inside it. Increase the size of the bucket (strength) and you can hold more of everything else.

These are why I ended up focusing on strength first, and then filling in all the other things along the way or as needed. For example, when I joined someone who had been practicing yoga for a while, I was able to keep up because I had the general strength to hold the various poses, even if I was new to yoga.

As they say, "strength is never a weakness."

Though at a certain point, there has to be a shift in focus from strength to the expression/application of that strength. One thing that comes to mind is the continuum of absolute strength---absolute speed explained by Eric Cressey and others in baseball in particular.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 590 Times in 313 Posts

I think this thread's original topic was weight training bulk and gym strength vs usable disc golf power. There is clearly such a thing as disc golf strength, and it is clearly not always related to muscle mass.

Power comes from a variety of things, and as Sidewinder shows nearly every day probably the most important source of power is form.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGuy View Post
See I also use a kettlebell (same size) and I get pretty much zero disc golf carry over. I do swings, clean jerk, and snatch. Nothing.
Hey, you are back.

It could be that the Kettlebell swings and snatches were strengthening the weak link in my chain. I had an auto accident a few years ago that still troubles my lower back. Before that, back in my gym rat days, I never did deadlifts or good mornings for fear of injuries. I overdid leg presses and barbell one arm snatches trying to make up for it. Didnt work.

Last edited by wolfmandragon; 08-07-2019 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:03 PM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 170
Niced 729 Times in 334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
barbell one arm snatches trying to make up for it. Didnt work.
You did one arm barbell snatches?
Old 08-07-2019, 03:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
You did one arm barbell snatches?
Olympic bar only, no plates. I tried 2.5 kilo plates, whilst I could do the extra 5 kilos, it was too dangerous if anyone was in my corner of the gym.

After my dojo closed (2001 Or 2002), no gyms in my area even knew what Kettlebells were. I was looking to recreate my martial arts exercises. I went to a body building gym at that time, so I was out of luck with anything offset weighted.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-07-2019, 03:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 24
Niced 525 Times in 300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGuy View Post
I think this thread's original topic was weight training bulk and gym strength vs usable disc golf power. There is clearly such a thing as disc golf strength, and it is clearly not always related to muscle mass.

Power comes from a variety of things, and as Sidewinder shows nearly every day probably the most important source of power is form.
Really this.
Good form relies on good range of motion. Good range of motion relies on flexibility. Flexibility does not HAVE to be reduced with increased muscle mass to a point, as SW pointed out, look at world class gymnasts, but often straight up throwing barbells around with out conscious effort into maintaining or increasing flexibility will hinder your DG throw.

my opinion based on other sports and what i've learned here on DG in ~order of importance to throwing well and also far
Balance
Coordination/Kinesthetic awareness
Flexibility
Strength
Old 08-08-2019, 06:01 PM
* Ace Member *

This subject has renewed my interest in building sport specific strength. I have been digging through articles and videos from several strength and/or athletic coaches. I had read instances of talk of using the overhead squat to build throwing distance. I found this article by Dan John... I can so see this working, especially for those of us whom sit at a desk all day.

I got to try this. Looks like I found my winter program.
http://danjohn.net/the-overhead-squat-article/

Old 08-09-2019, 01:28 AM
Still a puppy

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 269 Times in 170 Posts

Does speedskating count as crosstraining? Ive become a stronger thrower ever since i became a speedskater. We work all parts of the body during workouts, mainly core and legs, but it does help generate more power and torque through your x step ive learned.