Old 10-16-2019, 10:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 293
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 209 Times in 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
I smile when I see a top pro on the waiting list. It makes me believe in the fairness of the registration process. If a player can't register in the time that is set aside specifically for them, then they don't have any more right to play than a 900 rated player.
Registration process is generally not fair. What if that pro player is driving to an event when the event opens? What if they dont have service before it fills. What if they are worried about an injury and decide not to sign up and drop(a pain for TDs) but then get healthy? What about the average player that maybe works a shift where they can't get to the phone during registration...or the part time pros that have the same issue. I dont see how a registration process that requires a set registration time on some sort of device that usually costs a great deal of money is a fair process...
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 10-16-2019, 11:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,344 Times in 954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
Registration process is generally not fair. What if that pro player is driving to an event when the event opens? What if they dont have service before it fills. What if they are worried about an injury and decide not to sign up and drop(a pain for TDs) but then get healthy? What about the average player that maybe works a shift where they can't get to the phone during registration...or the part time pros that have the same issue. I dont see how a registration process that requires a set registration time on some sort of device that usually costs a great deal of money is a fair process...
No events with tiered registration are filling from the first tier (to my knowledge, i'm sure i will be corrected if wrong)- this means that there is a set registration window for people to hit rather than a set time. Pretty much every library has computers/internet which can be used for free. Just because something is inconvenient for someone doesn't make it unfair to them.

Old 10-16-2019, 11:13 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1,983 Times in 470 Posts

Quote:
Biscoe nailed it. For our largest event top tier pros have an exclusive window to sign up. Usually anyone 1020 rated and above, and then it opens up to a slightly wider base of players. Finally, it will open up for all players. But usually only after 1000+ rated players have at least a week, usually more to sign up.

It has been this way for 2 or 3 years now if I recall for most of the Elite level events. This is why I feel no sympathy for any top pros on waiting lists.

Old 10-16-2019, 11:14 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 140 Times in 73 Posts

Quote:
Don't a lot of these top pros have sponsors? Wouldn't making sure that their sponsored pro got into elite events? Couldn't they just pull the trigger for them, ensuring that they got in?

I could be way off, maybe sponsors don't want to help their pros that much.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:17 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 590 Times in 313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadlock86 View Post
i had to listen again to see if i was crazy. the beginning is painful but he gets a lot better once he gets going. but he does say it enough for me to partially retract my previous statement.

but still not that bad
Uh, Soooooooo, you are crazy. That guy is a terrible speaker. And that TedX looks like a one man show with no audience. TedX is a joke.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:25 AM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 26.7
Courses Played: 140
Niced 1,029 Times in 449 Posts

For the record, I am not on or involved with the committee that passed this decision nor am I on the BOD that voted for this. I also did not publicly comment during the discussion. I was honestly just in the crowd, as any PDGA member could (and many were) with my phone in my hand.

For the record, Ultiworld never contacted me to source me. Granted, what I said was true and posted publicly, but it's slightly concerning they just ran with it. I absolutely could have been joking and have made comments sarcastically before especially online.

It's absolutely shocking that they just ran with it without even asking me "hey is this true or were you kidding." It truly makes me not believe anything on their site.

Niced: (5)
Old 10-16-2019, 11:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.8
Courses Played: 95
Niced 1,080 Times in 409 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Maybe they need to include banning anyone under 900 from volunteering also. Sub par people don't belong on the course.

Old 10-16-2019, 11:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
No, if you are a bad golfer you just shouldn't be competing with the best golfers. Yes you do bring down their games.
Stats on that? Can we go back on udisc and see who everyone's first round groups were at each event?
Old 10-16-2019, 11:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
For the record, I am not on or involved with the committee that passed this decision nor am I on the BOD that voted for this. I also did not publicly comment during the discussion. I was honestly just in the crowd, as any PDGA member could (and many were) with my phone in my hand.

For the record, Ultiworld never contacted me to source me. Granted, what I said was true and posted publicly, but it's slightly concerning they just ran with it. I absolutely could have been joking and have made comments sarcastically before especially online.

It's absolutely shocking that they just ran with it without even asking me "hey is this true or were you kidding." It truly makes me not believe anything on their site.
The level of "journalism" there has taken a nosedive since Steve left imo. So many 2 paragraph clickbait "articles".

Old 10-16-2019, 11:36 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 646 Times in 288 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Ledgestone: 3 sub-900 players in 2019
Idlewild: 4 sub-900 players in 2019 (did not fill)
BSF: 1 sub-900 player in 2019
Masters Cup: 0 sub-900 players in 2019
GBO: 1 sub-900 player in 2019

Yeah, huge numbers of players who "can compete for cash" are now going to be allowed to play.

Don't all these tournaments also have tiered registration? So the 1000+ rated guys (the ones who "can compete for cash") get an exclusive window to register before those lesser rated players even get an opportunity to sign up? How much more do these alleged professionals need to be coddled so they can have the privilege of playing in these elite events?

If they can't afford to sign up in time, that's not a problem that the PDGA needs to address. That's a personal problem that should prompt them to re-assess what their priorities should be.

This post cuts right through the bs like a light saber. It’s like art only more informative.

Niced: (4)