Old 12-04-2019, 01:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 89
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 43 Times in 29 Posts

A dx firebird will beat into a straight driver.

A premium plastic firebird will hold a spike hyzer in a screaming headwind where an overstable mid would flip enough to finish way off to the side.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 12-04-2019, 02:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 67
Niced 670 Times in 324 Posts

Quote:
...A dx firebird will beat into a straight driver.

My 152 gram DX FB is now understable as all get out.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 74
Niced 152 Times in 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by muptonfish View Post
Ahh someone who has experience with a Star Firebird, I consistently read about people throwing Champ FBs but haven’t run across someone throwing a Star. I prefer the grip/feel of Star vs Champ and was hoping the flight of Star was similar.
I have 3 star firebirds in the bag. One turns some, one flies like a thunderbird, and one is beefy. I was throwing these broken in sraight ones before the thunderbird existed

Old 12-04-2019, 06:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 193
Niced 707 Times in 464 Posts

For you DX folks, do you still get the flare skip?
Old 12-05-2019, 03:52 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 27
Niced 543 Times in 223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
For you DX folks, do you still get the flare skip?
Way less.

I have a beat to hell DX Firebird in the bag which comes out for fairway distance drives looking for a harder finish than my teebirds, not much skip left in it now. (Bear in mind this is on UK grass which never skips, ever, 'cause it's stupid and damp and wet and clingy all year round, other playing surfaces mat vary)
Old 12-05-2019, 04:23 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 413
Niced 222 Times in 117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
Just throw DX
Nope. I'm trying out (reluctantly) a DX roc currently. I'm trying to figure out all of the Roc obsession on here and I DO like the DX Roc thus far. DX drivers are absolute nonsense. For a Mid I'm giving it one last try. It seems to me like a great business strategy by Innova though, only make one of the most popular discs ever in crap plastic. We'll sell them for cheaper but we'll sell WAY more of them because people swear by them and they beat in super quick. How come Discraft makes a Buzzz in every plastic type imaginable and Innova makes Rocs in baseline. And star which are not the easieast to find?
Old 12-05-2019, 11:28 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 86
Niced 329 Times in 177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhaley View Post
Nope. I'm trying out (reluctantly) a DX roc currently. I'm trying to figure out all of the Roc obsession on here and I DO like the DX Roc thus far. DX drivers are absolute nonsense. For a Mid I'm giving it one last try. It seems to me like a great business strategy by Innova though, only make one of the most popular discs ever in crap plastic. We'll sell them for cheaper but we'll sell WAY more of them because people swear by them and they beat in super quick. How come Discraft makes a Buzzz in every plastic type imaginable and Innova makes Rocs in baseline. And star which are not the easieast to find?
Regular Rocs are widely available in DX and KC Pro. If you're beating those in "super quick" then you must be playing in a parking lot.

Stars are not that hard to find, Infinite has Star Rancho's available right now. If you consider the Roc3 (which is basically a flat Roc) then you've got Champion and GStar widely available too.

As far as drivers go: if you start with something relatively overstable, DX can be a great plastic for cycling and you'll still get good longevity out of them. Firebirds and Eagles are awesome in DX.

Old 12-05-2019, 12:11 PM
Par Member

Niced 43 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzzChief View Post
Regular Rocs are widely available in DX and KC Pro. If you're beating those in "super quick" then you must be playing in a parking lot.

Stars are not that hard to find, Infinite has Star Rancho's available right now. If you consider the Roc3 (which is basically a flat Roc) then you've got Champion and GStar widely available too.

As far as drivers go: if you start with something relatively overstable, DX can be a great plastic for cycling and you'll still get good longevity out of them. Firebirds and Eagles are awesome in DX.
Don't forget DX Teebirds, its the one disc I can occasionally throw slightly over 300

Old 12-05-2019, 12:11 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 507 Times in 210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhaley View Post
I can walk into multiple brick-and-mortar stores and find Rocs in DX, KC, and Star. There are lots of Champion Rocs floating around as well. Plus as mentioned you can also get a Roc3 in Champion or Star pretty easily. This is all in person shopping; if you shop online it is even easier.

That said, the best workhorse Rocs are DX and/or KC. They are useful for a looong time. Really long life cycle. From fresh KC to beat DX, you can cover a huge range of stabilities in a single mold. Premium plastic Rocs are fine too if you prefer the feel or need something that will hold the initial stability longer.

Old 12-05-2019, 02:29 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.1
Courses Played: 136
Niced 2,773 Times in 995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Ogre View Post
I think threeputt also preaches the virtues of the beat DX FB.
My daughter won a 166g DX Firebird at an event and I though "what a terrible disc to give a kid" and bought a Kite and traded her for it. At that point I owned a 166g DX Firebird for no good reason.

We have a shot on our local course with a pond on the right, and I was depleting my supply of good Banshees and EXP1's into that pond so on a whim I thought I'd try the DX Firebird...Jeebz, why did I wait so long to try one. Great stable flight, a lot longer than I expected, predictable fade...great driver. As it beat in, it started to loose HHS and hang on to the fade so it was just longer but still predictable. When I finally threw it into the pond I was distraught; I had put it in the bag as a specialty driver but it had become my go-to. I started picking up light DX Firebirds anytime I saw one and now I never play without one. The idea was to have a driver I didn't mind losing, but every time I lose one I'm beside myself. I hate losing them as they just get better as they beat in.

The consensus among Firebird guys is 175g Champ plastic/FAF is the way to go. I can't throw a Champ Firebird at all. I can't throw a 175g Firebird. Light DX Firebirds bomb, it's a weenie-arm delight and I'm OK with the fact that no one seems to know this. It just means more DX Firebirds for me.