Old 03-05-2014, 09:10 PM
Michael Moore Fan Club President

Years Playing: 28.8
Courses Played: 58
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default Disc golf on ball golf courses

Watching the Japan Open video from 2010 and I was thinking of where the most fun and top notch disc golf courses could be made. Their is this ball golf course called St Croix National with extreme elevation changes. You seriously cannot walk this course it's that rough. But it would also make an ideal piece of land to also incorporate disc golf. Most of the holes play very downhill and either up to a green or flatten out. Very undulated and would be extreme fun and challenge for a top tier course.

Just a fantasy but something they could do if they were struggling for money like other ball golf courses are doing. They could do something like 27 holes on the 18 hole ball course. Fitting two disc golf holes in on the long par 4 and 5 holes. They could charge something like 20 bucks with a cart and make good profit. Would you pay 20 dollars for 27 holes with a cart? All the holes would also be playing downhill, then just hop in the cart and climb back to the next tee.

http://www.stcroixnationalgolf.com/g...icture-gallery
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2014, 09:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,603 Times in 1,561 Posts

There are already disc golf courses on ball golf courses. All that open area is one of the biggest handicaps.

There is one about an hour from me. The land is every bit as good; if the disc golf course were designed without any regard with how it fits in with the ball golfers, it could be a fabulous course. Of course, it can't be, with the result that it's a less-than-stellar disc golf experience.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:18 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.7
Courses Played: 367
Niced 1,751 Times in 860 Posts

Probably won't happen on a course that highly rated for golf.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:20 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,110 Times in 745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
There are already disc golf courses on ball golf courses. All that open area is one of the biggest handicaps.

There is one about an hour from me. The land is every bit as good; if the disc golf course were designed without any regard with how it fits in with the ball golfers, it could be a fabulous course. Of course, it can't be, with the result that it's a less-than-stellar disc golf experience.
with a good designer you would be surprised what can be done. DG doesn't have to share the fairway as much as one would think.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,603 Times in 1,561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
with a good designer you would be surprised what can be done. DG doesn't have to share the fairway as much as one would think.
No doubt. The question is, what can be done that doesn't detract from the ball golf?
Old 03-05-2014, 10:59 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 360
Niced 738 Times in 259 Posts

To me, playing disc golf on a ball golf course is like watching a baseball or football game in a 60's-70's era multipurpose stadium where the seats are better purposed for the sport you're not watching.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:24 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,110 Times in 745 Posts

Quote:
No doubt. The question is, what can be done that doesn't detract from the ball golf?
the 2 courses here I don't see taking anything away from the ball golf at all. If anything we are helping to keep the course living in the first place I don't think you would see DG in a ball golf course which could easily support itself already. The ones here are horrible actual golf courses to begin with not some championship PGA level places.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:44 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 17.9
Courses Played: 831
Niced 31 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
the 2 courses here I don't see taking anything away from the ball golf at all. If anything we are helping to keep the course living in the first place I don't think you would see DG in a ball golf course which could easily support itself already. The ones here are horrible actual golf courses to begin with not some championship PGA level places.
How much are the greens fees for golfers? My guess is that even at a terrible course they're more than disc golfers are typically willing to pay. That means that we're the low priority people on the property, it's a nice little extra income but it's not enough that having disc golfers throwing in on ball golfers or making them wait is going to be acceptable at most courses.

I've played something like 25 courses on ball golf courses. They fit into three categories. The first is the easiest to install, a disc golf course that follows the same routing with one disc hole per golf hole. We're faster than golfers so we end up waiting, but that's not the end of the world. The second type is using land that is separate from the actual fairways. Then you can get creative without worrying about conflicts. The third type is using the fairways but not following the flow. I've played two like that, one has very little golf traffic anymore, the other does and the course owners have decided not to allow both at the same time. There are tournaments and occasional casual play days, but for them the risk of conflict means that it's not worth having us holding up the flow of the golfers.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:13 AM
Michael Moore Fan Club President

Years Playing: 28.8
Courses Played: 58
Niced 9 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:

Yes I've played them and yes I know. Basically the way this course is from my memory would be like 18 top of the world shots. It's extremely steep and the open areas actually would be fine size wise for really long 500-1000 foot long holes. Your avg 350 foot drive would be easily 500-600 feet because of the elevation drops. It would not be a beginner friendly course.

I haven't played that course in 10 years or so but I remember it being not very busy at all. I could see the pin positions just off to the side of the cart paths.

I do see this trend continuing to grow because it does bring in money via food/drink as well as potential proshop. If a ball course is struggling they already have all the infrastructure in place. Cart paths/cleared trees/proshop/clubhouse/cart girls/etc. It simply comes down to putting in tees and pins mostly. Maybe doing a limited time slot for tee times. 1 hour of disc golf followed by 1 hour of ball golfers and so on. Or disc golf only on weekdays. Many ways to keep them separate as well.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:19 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 51
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I played a tournament last spring in Ottawa, IL that was set up on a ball golf course. I thought they did a great job of laying out a really challenging set up.

And I gotta say, carts were really nice.