Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Disc Golf Courses

View Poll Results: Do you prefer public or private courses?
Public 12 9.02%
Private 36 27.07%
I don't care if it's public or private, as long as the course is good. 85 63.91%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2015, 05:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 131
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 756 Times in 334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
It's a good breakdown, but in keeping with the O.P.'s question and theme---do you like the public P2P courses more because they're better courses (in your area), or because of the public aspects? By which I mean, things like other amenities on the property, and more players you may meet on the course?
Apologies, didn't catch that part. I guess I would say in general I prefer the Public P2P courses as they tend to better quality courses in my specific area. Places like Hudson Mills, Independence Lake and Rolling Hills are top notch courses. They have cement pads, tee signs and multiple teepads to play from. I also run into many of the same folks I play leagues with at those courses. Usually they are populated but hardly ever crowded and you don't come across folks smoking down at random spots on the course. They are also dedicated DG courses so you don't have to worry about throwing into non-DG people during the rounds.

The few private courses close by are nice but none have cement pads and tend not to be as established as those fairways. Obviously they are Private so they are not trampled down by lots of people playing them. I really do enjoy the private atmosphere of having a course to ourselves and playing with the owners of the course. You do feel special getting a chance to play there and never ever worry about being thrown on by others.

They each have their pros and cons, but I give the slight edge to Public P2P courses.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2015, 10:08 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Agree with above post we have some great public courses in Michigan. I was including the p2p in my earlier post about public courses. There is not a whole lot of private courses in the area where I live and a few state invite only on the internet. But one thing we probably all agree on is Flip City is a top notch course by any standards. I have only been to a few courses that I wont be back to because of bad layouts.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 20
Niced 7 Times in 7 Posts

I voted, as long as the course is good.

I've only played one PTP course on a regular basis and there are no stoners, drunks or dog walking pedestrians walking about on it. But then again, on the PTP course I have never met up with a stranger to play a round with either.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:19 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 21.6
Courses Played: 29
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

My mileage has varied on private PTP courses. I have played 3 in different part of country:

- Rockledge Disc Golf Course, Florida: Now defunct, good course, nice owner, friendly players. They let me play along with them on a league night even though I was just throwing plastic that night. Well maintained. Even though everyone was nice and welcoming, it was very much a club atmosphere where everyone knew each other.

- Enman Field, Maine: When I went, you just put your $5 in the slot and played. It was very much like a public PTP course. Course was very well maintained, and I was the only one playing at the times I went in mid-morning during the summer.

- Unnamed course on a players personal property behind his house: Owners are very nice and welcoming, great amenities, club house, pro shop, restrooms, benches. Well maintained. When I go I still can't get past the fact that I am playing in someone's backyard. It seemed that friend's received preferential treatment in some ways, especially when it came to recognition or groupings in tournaments.

I really prefer public park, PTP or not. I like going anonymously and just playing. I also feel like I can't thank the owners enough on private courses and don't feel that I relax and just play. There is always the thought in the back of my mind that I am on someone else's property. Some might say it shouldn't matter, but it does.
Old 10-31-2015, 03:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 19 Times in 14 Posts

I am a founding member at Hawk's Landing a private PTP course. The owners are tireless and a week doesn't go by where something hasn't been improved. Hawk's Landing has a clubhouse, clean bathrooms, pro shop, and during the summer on the weekends a burger shack; how can you not love the Country Club atmosphere?

My home course the 27 hole public Joseph Davis SP is a mere 5 miles from my door. Hawk's Landing is 43 miles away and I play there twice as much.

I love the many public courses around, but I prefer the private course.

A real lasting future in this sport should place more emphasis on the private course. Think ball golf. Many public if not most public courses are less than desirable unless the cost to play is expensive and therefore exclusionary for many. For $500 the approximate cost of a 1 year membership at a mediocre ball golf course I have a lifetime membership for me and my wife!

I am far from a snob or elitist, but I much prefer a well maintained private course any day.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 42
Niced 92 Times in 57 Posts

I think private courses are better for a disc golf "experience," like a long weekend or tournament, but public courses are usually more amenable to regular play, because they are free if nothing else. However I do live in one of the best disc golf cities in the country (at least as far as public courses go) so it isn't difficult for me to play at a high quality public course. And as long as I only play Searight early in the morning I actually don't run into many chuckers around here.

Like others, many of my favorite courses are private P2P, but my home courses have always been public.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:47 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 21.6
Courses Played: 29
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpletwist View Post
I am a founding member at Hawk's Landing a private PTP course. The owners are tireless and a week doesn't go by where something hasn't been improved. Hawk's Landing has a clubhouse, clean bathrooms, pro shop, and during the summer on the weekends a burger shack; how can you not love the Country Club atmosphere?

My home course the 27 hole public Joseph Davis SP is a mere 5 miles from my door. Hawk's Landing is 43 miles away and I play there twice as much.

I love the many public courses around, but I prefer the private course.

A real lasting future in this sport should place more emphasis on the private course. Think ball golf. Many public if not most public courses are less than desirable unless the cost to play is expensive and therefore exclusionary for many. For $500 the approximate cost of a 1 year membership at a mediocre ball golf course I have a lifetime membership for me and my wife!

I am far from a snob or elitist, but I much prefer a well maintained private course any day.
Meh, I am not a big fan of the "country club" experience at all. The golf country clubs I have played at have been elitist, stuffy exclusive institutions that cater to the rich and pampered. Plus while the courses are well maintained and the amenities are fantastic, the quality of golf isn't necessarily that good. In fact country club golf courses tend to be much easier and far more forgiving than a good quality muni course. Rich old men don't want to pay an arm and a leg every year to play on a course that kicks their butt day in and day out.

One change I have really noticed over the years is that disc golf used to be everyman's sport, filled with the unemployed, underemployed, and people who don't want to deal with the rat race, so to speak. I think the majority of players are still like that, but their definitely is a move to make the game more commercial and more like ball golf as more people migrate to the sport from other sports and other sectors of society.

I definitely think muni courses are an important part of securing disc golf's future. More resources and energy should be devoted to maintaining and improving the quality public courses that are in place now.

Last edited by RobA; 10-31-2015 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,590 Times in 1,554 Posts

It's hard to generalize because, as is obvious from responses, a lot of the feelings are affected by the quality of courses, private and public, in a respondent's area.

Private courses vary considerably, in quality and style. Public courses, even more so. The factors that make one or the other appealing---or, more frequently, less appealing---don't apply across the board, in either category.

That said---

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobA View Post
I really prefer public park, PTP or not. I like going anonymously and just playing. I also feel like I can't thank the owners enough on private courses and don't feel that I relax and just play. There is always the thought in the back of my mind that I am on someone else's property. Some might say it shouldn't matter, but it does.
This is often true of private courses. Sometimes you feel like a guest in someone else's home, and it may be hard to be completely comfortable with that. Not always---I've played private courses that didn't feel that way. But it is definitely different than a public course.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:22 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 31.8
Courses Played: 1757
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 30 Times in 11 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to danhyzer

Private courses IMHO have more advantages than a public course. As they can cater to the needs of their specific clientele. But there's more public opportunities to have a disc golf course in the city or county park, state park than there are private owners of land willing to host a disc golf course. How many times I've driven by some farmers property, or a State Park or just some beautiful land and I ask myself, Where's the baskets?? Well... I'm guessing Joe Farmer doesn't have a clue what Disc Golf is. And I'm also thinking that most private Disc Golf proprietors have had a public course in their area to spur the idea of having a course on their property.

I just played the Little Mulberry DGC (a public course) in Dacula, Ga. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=6947 where there we're brooms at each long tee pad (I used them and I swept off each tee before I teed off. Not only for my benefit, but for the player on the tee after me). I also just played a course @ Oakland Middle School in Murfreesboro, Tn. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=7749 where the course was on school property, so that limits the playing field for opportunities to play, but it also benefits the children as they can learn the basics of flight, science, math, physical education that the game of Disc Golf offers------------ - +

I often feel that a well kept Disc Golf course is often the reflection of the community where it is. Because most parks are the "pride and joy" of the respective communities. I often play unannounced and I find more times than not the park in pretty good shape. Whereas I have found a few private courses to be neglected because the owner has to many other things going on to keep up the Disc Golf course.

As I see it there's a place for both public and private to have Disc Golf courses on the land that God created. It's up to us "as Disc Golfers of the World to clean up a little bit as they play. I'm not talking of altering the course in any fashion, but why can't one pick up a little here and there. why can't one sweep the tee pads if brooms are provided, why can't one line a path to the next tee with already fallen tree limbs. That's how I was shown in my early days by my mentors of how to be a good steward of Disc Golf. After all more courses are in "YOUR" local parks, be responsible. Pack out what you pack in. Show the future players how to make this work weather it's in a private or public setting.

Old 09-30-2019, 09:39 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 73 Times in 57 Posts

Both have their purposes, but as a city dweller. I'm all for public courses.